Too Old For the Teen CLub

We'll be leaving on Explorer in two weeks. (Yay!!) My daughter is 19, which makes her too old to hang with her sister at the teen club, and she's not comfortable going to the night clubs. Does anyone know if there are any organized events for the 18-21 year old crowd, or if there are places for them to hang out and socialize?

Thanks.

I just checked my Cruise Compasses from last July and I do see that there was an "18-20+ Welcome Aboard Meet & Greet" in Blaze from 10:00 - 10:30 pm on the first night. There were other 18-20+ year old events throughout the week. These events aren't really organized, though. They're more like advertised places to meet up.

We sailed with our 18 year old son a few years back. He was able to find other people his age pretty easily and I don't think he went to any of those scheduled events.

Edited by Daghis

If she is not comfortable meeting people, going to clubs, gambling, and hanging out with other young adults, than why go? I have two "adult kids" and one loves to go and the other stays away. As an adult, and with the offer to pay, it's up to them to decide to take you up on the offer, or stay home. Why pay for someone who does not want to be there? My oldest chose not to go, and I'm fine with it. It's his choice.

We'll be leaving on Explorer in two weeks. (Yay!!) My daughter is 19, which makes her too old to hang with her sister at the teen club, and she's not comfortable going to the night clubs. Does anyone know if there are any organized events for the 18-21 year old crowd, or if there are places for them to hang out and socialize?

Thanks.

They have meet and greets for that age group but I have heard that older ages go as well. It's not really structured.

The older teens don't have a lot of planned activities either so once your younger daughter meets some people they can get together with your older daughter and do things together, outside of the teen club.

If your daughter is sports oriented I know that a lot of young people hang out at the basketball courts (more men than women).

It's a hard age because they are too old for the teen clubs but not able to drink at the adult clubs.

She'll meet people just have her get out and about on the ship.

ps if I tried to show my sons 'how to party' they'd probably be horrified.

Edited by marci22

For several of our last cruises, we were in the same situation, with one of our two daughters being too old for the teen club. What ended up happening is that the two of them just hung out together outside of the teen club. They easily made friends with other older teens, and it was a non-issue.

They often went to the game show events (like Minute to Win it) or Karaoke in the Maharaja Lounge to meet others their age.

If she is not comfortable meeting people, going to clubs, gambling, and hanging out with other young adults, than why go? I have two "adult kids" and one loves to go and the other stays away. As an adult, and with the offer to pay, it's up to them to decide to take you up on the offer, or stay home. Why pay for someone who does not want to be there? My oldest chose not to go, and I'm fine with it. It's his choice.

I read it that the daughter did want to meet others, she's just at n in between age.

Have her stand off the stern rail, run into a "Jack Dawson" type, and he will take good care of her, along with a nice portrait to boot! Sadly, she will not likely have the "Le Cœur de la Mer" back in her cabin. ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but I couldn't resist! :D

We sailed on the Allure last summer with my son and his best friend. They were both 18. Probably by day 3, they had met a group of about 10 other 18-20 year olds that they hung out with and totally enjoyed.

I know there were events/gatherings listed in the compass. I think there were 2 of them last summer when we sailed.

: )

Edited by Esmerelda

There are far more reasons to go on a cruise than to "go to clubs, gamble, hang out with young adults" etc - as a teenager, I found the teen clubs not to my taste, and as a young adult, I often find the young adults on-board to be a little obnoxious. (On cruises I've tried to mingle with 'young adults,' they're often flinging homophobic/racist/sexist slurs around. This does not fly with me.) Yet, I still go on cruises with my mother - eagerly! - for the chance at relaxation and to see new ports. It's odd to me that you'd suggest gambling and socializing are the only reasons for a young adult to go cruising!

That being said: OP, there is that 18-21+ meetup the first night on most cruises I've been on - she could go to that and see about meeting people there. :)

Thanks.

If you are sailing out on 7/17 (and it sounds as you are) we have a just turned 18 yr old daughter in a similar situation (but she is willing to go to night club theoretically)--maybe we can figure out a way to put them in touch with each other.

There are far more reasons to go on a cruise than to "go to clubs, gamble, hang out with young adults" etc - as a teenager, I found the teen clubs not to my taste, and as a young adult, I often find the young adults on-board to be a little obnoxious. (On cruises I've tried to mingle with 'young adults,' they're often flinging homophobic/racist/sexist slurs around. This does not fly with me.) Yet, I still go on cruises with my mother - eagerly! - for the chance at relaxation and to see new ports. It's odd to me that you'd suggest gambling and socializing are the only reasons for a young adult to go cruising!

That being said: OP, there is that 18-21+ meetup the first night on most cruises I've been on - she could go to that and see about meeting people there. :)

I believe the op wants a place to socialize and meet people of the same age which basically means at the clubs. Of course you can also pick up a game of basketball. The clubs are split for different age groups. The dance clu gor the young. The schooner bar for middle aged and jazz/ballroom for the older crowd.

So your options are to hang out and the most logical place for your age or spend the week with your mother which is perfectly fine for some. However some people just font like it and therefore should opt out such as my son!

Is not the meet and mingle not held in a club? It's not in the library!

I believe the op wants a place to socialize and meet people of the same age which basically means at the clubs. Of course you can also pick up a game of basketball. The clubs are split for different age groups. The dance clu gor the young. The schooner bar for middle aged and jazz/ballroom for the older crowd.

So your options are to hang out and the most logical place for your age or spend the week with your mother which is perfectly fine for some. However some people just font like it and therefore should opt out such as my son!

Is not the meet and mingle not held in a club? It's not in the library!

Some young adults are rounded individuals. Whereas I agree the first 'port of call' may be a nightclub, thereafter you don't need to do any of those things. Actually, girls especially, enjoy spending a whole day round the pool.,