Allure ocean view cabin and category question

Sailing RCCL first time on Allure later this year and have balcony cabin and category question.

Originally booked a Cat D8 ocean view balcony forward (starboard) on Deck 8 very near the forward elevator and central park at a very good price earlier this year. But since I am prone to motion sickness, I decided to try to find a better situated (for me) cabin on same deck but aft near an elevator – no luck there since I didn’t want to spend a lot and was hoping to stay on Deck 8 if possible ( seems lot of CC’ers like Central Park). I found a Cat D1, midship, deck 8, starboard, on the hump (parallel to Giovanni’s). So I gave up my forward D8 cabin; it cost less than $50 (for 2 persons) to change to the D1 cabin. I think I will like this better since it is midship and has a larger balcony, even though I sacrificed being near an elevator and will have a much longer walk to get to Central Park in either direction. Or maybe I’m just crazy for changing…

Finally to my questions for Allure cruisers that might help me select this type cabin in the future:

Is a D8 category ‘better’ than a D1 category?

Will a D8 category always cost more than a D1? Are D7, D6, etc, always less than D1 or D8?

If so, what criteria makes a D1 or D8 category better?

The other day I went to the RCCL website looking for a different Ocean View balcony cabin, (not counting discounts/etc), I found that, of the available cabins, the D1 cabins for 2 persons were $1500 less than any of the D8 cabins that I found. (when I had looked earlier this year, I thought the D1 cost more than the D8 but I could be wrong).

This week, when I changed from my D8 to the D1 (both on Deck 8), there was a slight additional charge for the D1 cabin which wasn’t a problem for me. And yes, when I went back later, my ‘old’ D8 cabin was showing available, at a cost of $1500 more than any of the D1’s that were available.

hope someday to move up to a JS…

Thanks in advance for any answers!

The cabin size for all D cabins is the same. The only difference between the D1 and the other D cabins is that the D1's have a larger balcony. Pricing is driven by supply and demand. Usually the D1's are more money but there can be occasions where they are not.

The MSRP when first listed for all cabins goes up as the category letter and number goes down (exception is GTY category). When a sailing is first listed, the D1 will always be more expensive than the D8 but over time, availability and demand causes price fluctuations in individual categories. You can even have insides being more expensive than balconies.

As others have said, all "D" category staterooms are the same size. The different subcategories - "1", "2", etc., refer to passenger capacity configuration - typically 2-4 - and location on the ship. Pricing for each is based on this but driven by supply and demand. This can result in varying prices between each and is not necessarily higher or lower sequentially by number designation.

This is true across the RCI fleet with each stateroom category offered. Specific to the D1's on Allure and Oasis, however, they are unique in that they are all located on the forward "hump" and have larger decks than other D subcategories as a result. (On some ship classes, categories on the "hump" will also have larger balconies and aft-facing locations are also larger within the categories).

From time to time RCI will also re-categorize the numbers within a category for revenue and inventory balance purposes although the actual staterooms remain unchanged.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you all for the helpful answers and a better explanation of how and why the prices vary and change between the various D balcony categories. I will have less angst when selecting my cabin for my next cruise.

So all I need to do now is enjoy my cruise while relaxing on my 'hump' balcony. :)

CC members are awesome! :D

To Molly361,

"Britanis (1) Royal Majesty (2) Cunard (5) NCL (2) Carnival (3) Princess (4) HAL (3) RCI (32) Celebrity (3) "

Your signature above indicates you've sailed a lot of different lines - how great is that?

RC = 32 - RCI wouldn't be one of your favorites, would it?:D:D

I've always believed in this old adage: 'Knowledge isn't knowledge unless it's shared'.

All of you kind folks on CC prove this to be so true! Thanks again..

To Molly361,

"Britanis (1) Royal Majesty (2) Cunard (5) NCL (2) Carnival (3) Princess (4) HAL (3) RCI (32) Celebrity (3) "

Your signature above indicates you've sailed a lot of different lines - how great is that?

RC = 32 - RCI wouldn't be one of your favorites, would it?:D:D

I've always believed in this old adage: 'Knowledge isn't knowledge unless it's shared'.

All of you kind folks on CC prove this to be so true! Thanks again..

Thanks and yes we pretty much stick with RCL now, although we went on a Princess cruise a couple of years ago. It was also lots of fun:)