Progressive Trivia - Silly Question

I love trivia and I try to attend as many of the trivia sessions as I can, but I have never attended a Progressive Trivia event. Can someone please enlighten me? Do I need to start with the first one (if I miss the first event, can I still join later in the cruise)? Am I on the same team throughout? If so, any tips for putting a team together? It's just my mom and I on this trip.... do we just go to the first one and see who joins our table?. What if you miss one of the sessions (will your teammates be upset)?

Can you tell, I'm one of those people that likes to know what I'm in for and hates the thought of upsetting the apple cart...lol!

Thanks in advance :)

Melissa

I'm sure you can still go and participate later on in the event if you'd like, but since it is PROGRESSIVE trivia you probably won't score as highly as the people who make every meeting. I show up just for fun and never turn my cards in anyway... probably because I never know half of the answers.

I have participated in several Progressive Trivia contests on Royal and Celebrity. In general, they have them on itineraries with many sea days. It is best to start from the the first session if you want to be in contention for the prize. You will play with the same teammates each session. Just showing up and joining a tem usually works out fine. Or you could find other trivia mavens in advance through yout cruise critic roll call.

If you don't care about the competitive aspects, then it does not matter whether you do it from the beginning or attend all sessions. Just be sure to let your teammates know up front if you can't comit to playing every time. Otherwise you guys may not be on the same page and they could get annoyed with you for not showing up.

Progressive trivia is done on cruises with a lot of sea days, such as a transatlantic cruise. Everyone meets up at the first session (usually the first sea day) and form teams and they stay together for the duration of the contest.

The scores are collected after each session and a tally kept of every teams scores and the team with the best accumulated score at the end of the cruise wins.

I think the easiest way to form a team is to ask for people on your Roll Call if they are interested. 6 to a team. Then arrange to meet at the first trivia session. If that doesn't appeal to you, you can show up on the first day and see who is looking for members to complete their team....or start a team and grab people who are looking for a team.

We had a blast on our last cruise playing progressive trivia with a group we formed from the Roll Call.

I love trivia and I try to attend as many of the trivia sessions as I can, but I have never attended a Progressive Trivia event. Can someone please enlighten me? Do I need to start with the first one (if I miss the first event, can I still join later in the cruise)? Am I on the same team throughout? If so, any tips for putting a team together? It's just my mom and I on this trip.... do we just go to the first one and see who joins our table?. What if you miss one of the sessions (will your teammates be upset)?

Can you tell, I'm one of those people that likes to know what I'm in for and hates the thought of upsetting the apple cart...lol!

Thanks in advance :)

Melissa

We did progressive trivia on our recent transatlantic and we played pretty much every sea day. I would recommend doing what we did and organize a team on your cruise board. They only allow 6 on a team so recruit a team or you can show up the first day and join with random people like yourself. If you plan to play then mentally committ to showing up every day. Being part of a team means showing up for every game so if you are not able to make that committment play the other single game trivias. There are a lot of people who are really serious about being winners at this progressive game. If you miss a day some people get mad about it. Once it starts there really isn't random joining in that I saw. We played at 10 AM every day in the main lounge. If you are recruiting a team try for a diverse but really smart group in different specialties. Having people from other countries is sometimes an advantage too.

Progressive trivia is done on cruises with a lot of sea days, such as a transatlantic cruise. Everyone meets up at the first session (usually the first sea day) and form teams and they stay together for the duration of the contest.

The scores are collected after each session and a tally kept of every teams scores and the team with the best accumulated score at the end of the cruise wins.

I think the easiest way to form a team is to ask for people on your Roll Call if they are interested. 6 to a team. Then arrange to meet at the first trivia session. If that doesn't appeal to you, you can show up on the first day and see who is looking for members to complete their team....or start a team and grab people who are looking for a team.

We had a blast on our last cruise playing progressive trivia with a group we formed from the Roll Call.

Margie was part of our trivia team on the Brilliance transatlantic. We had a great time but we did it for fun not because we expected to win. It would have been nice to win but there was far more fun in learning new things and not stressing about missing an answer.

Thank you all so much for the quick replies! Our next cruise (not until next year, sadly) will be a 15 nt TA with 7 sea days... so lots of opportunity for trivia. I'm not hard core, as far as competition goes, but I definitely like doing well just for the sake of it :)

My Roll Call already looks like it's going to have a good group (and we are still 400+ days out!) so as things get closer, I will see who I can "con" into being on a team :eek::D

Thanks again!!!!

Melissa

Margie was part of our trivia team on the Brilliance transatlantic. We had a great time but we did it for fun not because we expected to win. It would have been nice to win but there was far more fun in learning new things and not stressing about missing an answer.

The questions were really hard. I think most teams were like us.....having fun, learning new facts and learning how to lose! :D:D

We have done several progressive trivia's on RCI Liberty & Indy both 8 nights eastern caribbean (so not necessarily do they only have them on TA's)...and yes we have won :o..even when only my son was there to represent us when the rest of us were shopping in St Thomas and or St Maarten..we know we can always depend on him ;)..However when just my DH and myself cruise we don't usually stand a chance...but with our adult kid's and their spouses...we rock..and have a collection of highly sought after prizes like medals, key chains, luggage tags, passport holders & RCI hats. :eek::D. But most importantly the fun and the memories !!

Definitely NOT just transatlantics.

I have done progressive trivia on Oasis & Allure. I just won ("of course" ;)) on the Grandeur. These were all 7 night cruises.

I love it. I usually just wait and see who is on board. This team (always a maximum of 6) was two friends of mine, one *new* couple, one *new* single, and me.

:D

The questions were really hard. I think most teams were like us.....having fun, learning new facts and learning how to lose! :D:D

This is pretty much me... I just like to test my own knowledge and pick up a few new tidbits along the way

Melissa

I love progressive trivia! It's the only trivia where they actually still have valuable swag as prizes, not just key chains or pens. Having multiple chances to increase your scores definitely helps, and the friendly competition is fun (read: I will kill for a key chain!)

Traveling with a group of friends on the oasis last year, most were in the group of six, leaving two of us on our own team... we joined up with some other travelers for the first day, but then were on our own for the rest of the sessions (once I was all by myself!)... and yes, our trivia maven team team of six won (including the miraculous Merion mom)... but our little team of two got second place, and a great prize collection including rci hats, umbrellas, highlighters, and travel mugs! :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

My suggestion is to get there early on the first day and take the initiative to organize your team. Watch for people entering that are surveying the room like they need a team - if they look like fun people, approach them and invite. On your Brilliance TA I'm assuming its out of England, and if you can land a few UK people on your team that will be a big advantage.

We have found that progressive trivia teaming is one of the best ways to develop relationships with new people, and we now cruise regularly with two other couples we met this way. Have fun!

My suggestion is to get there early on the first day and take the initiative to organize your team. Watch for people entering that are surveying the room like they need a team - if they look like fun people, approach them and invite. On your Brilliance TA I'm assuming its out of England, and if you can land a few UK people on your team that will be a big advantage.

We have found that progressive trivia teaming is one of the best ways to develop relationships with new people, and we now cruise regularly with two other couples we met this way. Have fun!

Great tip abouting "picking up" some Brits to be on our team. That will definitely come in handy if they ask any Soccer/Football questions since my mom and I wouldn't have a clue :eek::D

It definitely sounds like joining in with progressive trivia will be a great way to meet fun, interesting new folks. Thanks everyone for all of the tips (and for explaining how the "process" works!)

Melissa

Have met some brilliant people playing progressive and made lifelong friends with some of them

I am quite often the token Brit but on cruises out of Southampton you might need a token American, also Aussies and Canadians have proved equally useful.

You know who you are!!

I love progressive trivia! But it's really hard, and the questions get harder as the days go by. Yes, you need a mixture of people if you really want to compete. On my last Liberty TA our team tied for 1st and we got hats, pens, bags, shirts, etc., quite a lot of stuff. But it's not about winning, it is about having fun, learning new things, and getting to know your teammates.

I am on the Indy TA 11/1/14, and 3 of my Liberty team members will be joining. 2 wonderful Brits from Spain, my good friend from Brazil, and we will add 2 new members. It will be great fun!

Alan

We also love progressive trivia. It's good to have mixed ages on your team. We usually have a senior, middleager and some twentyish members on our team. It seems to work out the best. Our favorite prize, along with the trinkets, was a bottle of champagne! We drank it the last night of the cruise. It was great!

• 6 months later...

Hi!

You said that the games got harder as the days went on?! What did they do for your final/last game of progressive trivia? Ours was 24 Big Band sons and the artists that either sang or performed them! Very hard!!!

Happy Cruising ! - Miriam