Problems With Wind Surf Sports Platform?

tbradyjd

We had a great week aboard the Wind Surf this Spring. The only major disappointment was the water sports platform, which was out of service for the entire week (at boarding we were told it would be operational by midweek, but that didn't pan out).

After looking at some other postings, I wonder if this is a chronic issue. How about an unscientific survey?

Please post a reply if the sports platform was broken for your cruise, too, and perhaps include a few words on what the crew said about it.

Thanks.

In our early December 04 Wind Surf sailing, the sports platform wasn't working on the last day it was to be used (St. John). It had worked up until then. Since it had been working for the rest of the week, the crew didn't say much about it other than that it wasn't working. The gear and boat for our Discover scuba dive was brought over to one of the spots on the side they use for the tenders.

On our June 4 Wind Star cruise, the sports marina also wasn't working. I think there was only one port on the Istanbul-Athens run where they could use it anyway, Bodrum. We still had water play because they brought the water toys to the tender platform on the other side of the ship from what the tenders were using. We had swimming, kayak, banana boat and water skiing. I didn't see any sail boats so I don't know if the Wind Star doesn't have them or if it just was too much to bring over to the platform.

It seems like these are problematic devices.

If I remenber from another thread, the WindSurf's platform isn't of the same design as the other two. As such it sits too high off the water and is unsafe to be around. I don't think it was ever down on our 20-Mar-2005 trip.

Years ago, on the WindStar (and the late WindSong), we used the platform almost every day to launch zodiacs (for dive excusions, banana boat rides and the crew's maintenance duties) and playtoys.

Ditto for our Feb 20 Cruise Belize, Honduros, Couzumel..

I think, like you that this is a chronic thing.

However, safety first always...we had some good swells that could have brotched the platform.:o

I personally suffered leg contusions while attempting to board the ship from a local dive boat in these conditions.:(

We were on the Jan.23 cruise. The platform did not work when we boarded. I recall 1 day it was working and the day in Roatan everything was brought to shore for the passengers to use. Overall, we were disappointed in the sports platform activities on this cruise. We asked the crew as we were checking in about water skiing. They did not have a zodiac on the windsurf with enough power to pull a skiier.

• 1 month later...

The sports platform was not working at all during our 9/18- 9/25 cruise. We were very disappointed as this was a major selling feature for us. We were told by the water sports guy that a part broke and that it would be at least another week or so before they could get a new one. Oddly enough, in the daily program, it was always listed as non-operational due to local laws. Makes you wonder who was telling the truth....

The sports platform was not working during our December 03 cruise. One staff member said that a part was being flown in, and another told us that it wouldn't happen. We had chosen the cruise because of the sports activities.

This was the same cruise where something snapped and they were unable to raise the anchor for more than an hour on the last night.

The sports platform was not working during our December 03 cruise. One staff member said that a part was being flown in, and another told us that it wouldn't happen. We had chosen the cruise because of the sports activities.

This was the same cruise where something snapped and they were unable to raise the anchor for more than an hour on the last night.

...something snapped and they were unable to raise the anchor for more than an hour on the last night.

We too had anchor problems on the Surf. Seems an anchor got snagged and they sent down the other anchor to free it. Once free, the two chains tangled and they had to set sail with both anchors hangin in the water.

The next day they cut them apart and re-welded the links.

Just back from the Surf Rome to Malta. More on the cruise later but the platform is still not working which was disappointing to many of us on this cruise. Jean Michelle told us that they were sending men to repair it in malta but who knows?

we had a great time on the cruise though-fabulous weather and some interesting ports, nice people and wonderful staff-especially cabin stewards, dining room staff, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a problem especially since Jean Michelle assured me that 10 men were going to be fixing the platform when the ship docked in Malta. Many of us book our cruise with the hope or expectation of using the platform at least once on the cruise. Windstar either needs to stop advertising this platform or fix it once and for all.

• 2 months later...

We just returned from the Windsurf 10 Day Holiday cruise and I am very happy to report never was there a problem with sports platform. It always was working. I will add however that the amount of time it is open for use was limited. But... it does work!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the Dec. 28 New Years Cruise and the sports platform was down most every day. Lots of people sailing and kayaking. The Wind Surf platform is a different design from the other 2 ships and it creates a sort of suction in the water so swimming off of it isn't really safe, but the other activities are fine. No problems with the platform at all in the entire 11 day cruise. We also had the sails up quite a bit, we had nice trades for the entire cruise.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Having been on the Surf for five different cruises over the course of 4 years, I only experienced two days when the platform did not work.

Of course there have been other days when weather conditions required the platform remain closed.

I have been on the smaller ships for 22 cruises and the platforms worked properly as designed.

Bill

Archived