Is this doable or should I rethink it

Disneynerd

We are cruising to Alaska from Seattle on Westerdam Aug. 9. Our original plan was to fly into Seattle Aug. 7 and stay downtown but the hotel prices are higher than we expected.

We are still considering flying in Aug. 7 but staying at Sleep In at SeaTac and taking the light rail back and forth for sightseeing the 7th and the 8th. We would arrange a shuttle to take us to the Pier on Aug. 9. But I read on another thread that the hotel area around SeaTac is not very safe? I realize we would have to go back to the airport to get the light rail. Is that too much to do? It would be myself, DH and 12 yr dd.

Any successful trip begins with research. Pull up Tripadvisor.com for thousands of hotel reviews.Go to your local library for travel books.We ended up at Green Tortise Hostel right by Pike Market and most other attractions.Even includes breakfast and dinner some nights. Looks interesting. Walk everywhere,

Edited by zoncom

We are cruising to Alaska from Seattle on Westerdam Aug. 9. Our original plan was to fly into Seattle Aug. 7 and stay downtown but the hotel prices are higher than we expected.

We are still considering flying in Aug. 7 but staying at Sleep In at SeaTac and taking the light rail back and forth for sightseeing the 7th and the 8th. We would arrange a shuttle to take us to the Pier on Aug. 9. But I read on another thread that the hotel area around SeaTac is not very safe? I realize we would have to go back to the airport to get the light rail. Is that too much to do? It would be myself, DH and 12 yr dd.

There have been MANY great reviews of the Sleep Inn on this forum, including families. Like most airports Seatac isn't a great area but you'll be at the airport not wandering around the area.

To reach the Light Rail station at the airport it's a 7-8 minute walk mostly thru the parking garage. It's covered, flat and well lit. Anytime I've used it there were 15-20 travellers walking with me, so I didn't feel unsafe. And it's light until about 9:30pm so you'll be in daylight.

The Seattle Express Shuttle partners with Sleep inn so the shuttle is a good price.

We're staying at the Sleep Inn SeaTac in a few weeks and their shuttle will take you to the light rail station on International Blvd. No need to go back to the airport. We're planning to use it for sightseeing before our cruise. We've done it before and it's really easy.

We've reserved Seattle Express to take us to and from the ship. They will pick up at quite a few airport hotels and the Sleep Inn is one of them. They come highly recommended on cruise critic. You can reserve your space online.

Have a great cruise.

I always contact local cities and towns for any free info they have. I have always found them more than happy to send it. Also, as others have said online and of course here. I found a wonderful park and stay and transportation to our port in Vancouver here on these boards.

I forgot to add that there is an IHOP restaurant right across the parking lot from the Sleep Inn. It's very good and you won't have to travel outside of the area. When we get there, we'll just park the car, eat at IHOP and use the shuttle to light rail.

When you arrive at the airport, just call the Sleep Inn and they will send the shuttle to pick you up.

If you decide to book Seattle Express, call and talk with Matt. (206) 793-8430. You may be able to arrange for them to pick you up at the Sleep Inn to take you to the Pier and when you disembark the ship, they may be able to take you to the airport instead of dropping you back at the Sleep Inn.

If you search this thread for SacTac Sleep Inn, there is lots of information.

As long you understand that there is nothing to do around that hotel and all you will be doing is sleeping there. No shopping, one restaurant, etc. As someone else said, I think the IHOP is the only restaurant around there. So if you are staying there, plan on eating before you head back to the hotel in the evening.

It isn't a good area to walk around at night, but on the other hand, there is nothing to walk to and you can take the hotel shuttle to the airport to pick up the light rail.

With that said, it is a 35 minute ride to downtown once you get to the airport and take the long walk through the parking garage.

If I were you, I'd try Priceline to get into downtown or lower Queen Anne (Seattle Center/Space Needle area) while keeping the Sleep Inn as a backup.

When we were going to cruise out of Seattle, we took the Coast Starlight up the west coast to get there (and back a few days after our cruise). I had booked a hotel in West Seattle to stay at, but we realized it wasn't the greatest, so when we were getting in our pre-cruise shopping and a little sightseeing the day before our cruise, I got out my research on Seattle hotels and we decided to check out the Holiday Inn Express near the Space Needle, ignoring the TripAdvisor complaints about road noise from the highway (which actually turned out to be not a problem for us even though our room faced the highway -- I'm a light sleeper and had no problem at all). So after our cruise, that's where we stayed. The rate wasn't bad with an Auto Club discount.

Even if we had flown to the area, we would have stayed in Seattle, rather than a distance away by the airport. All the trouble going back and forth (and whatever transportation costs and time), wouldn't be worth it to us. We had a rental car before and after our cruise, but it was also nice to be able to walk around between our hotel and the Space Needle area (also ate at two local diners that we walked to).

Thanks for all the info! My problem is that I have researched this to death and I keep changing my mind. I have pages of notes on everything! I found that the Sleep Inn gets good reviews but the area around it doesn't (not just on this board - on other forums as well). I think the traveling back and forth might be too much so I think we will suck it up and find a hotel downtown Seattle. We will probably book the Sleep Inn for the night before our flight back home since it's a 530 a.m flight on Sunday.

Thanks again :)

the area around the Sleep Inn isn't good or bad, but if you can get a reasonable hotel downtown it's certainly more convenient.

You're really late to be booking a room for Aug 7, so good luck. Priceline or a similar last minute site might be the best option.

Prices are more affordable around the Seattle Center area ... like Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Exp, Maxwell. Or try the Silver Cloud Lake Union.

I have lived in the town of SeaTac for 14 years. While I wouldn't go for a late-night stroll on parts of International Boulevard (mainly the part north of Hwy 518), the Sleep Inn is in a decent enough area. There's really not much to walk to in that area anyhow. Take the shuttle back and forth to the airport to catch the light rail, and you should be fine.