Alaska with a 1 year old

CruisingGiants

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone on an Alaskan cruise with a 1 year old? I'm hoping we're not crazy in booking this trip, but we love to cruise and have never been to Alaska.

Any tour recommendations?

Thanks for your help! We're planning to go next May.

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone on an Alaskan cruise with a 1 year old? I'm hoping we're not crazy in booking this trip, but we love to cruise and have never been to Alaska.

We took our 1 year old on a week long trip to Disney, but he was more like 18 months old. I think it would be do-able. Even if you didn't do any tours, if you had a room with a balcony, then at least you could enjoy your balcony during your child's afternoon nap. I think our son really enjoyed riding buses at 18 months old. I would probably steer clear of long excursions. You didn't list what ports are included with your cruise. Does your cruise line offer nursery care?

As far as tours, maybe for Juneau, you could just wait and take one of the shuttle buses out to Mendenhall Glacier. They have a visitor center, or you can walk back to the falls. In Ketchikan, there's a funicular you can ride up to Cape Fox Lodge and then walk back down the Married Man trail. Theses are both spur of the moment examples of tours that could be skipped if your child was not inclined to want to tour that day. Icy Strait has a beach trail and a nature trail.

It seems like at Disney, our son was happy go lucky at about everything we did. Even climbing on park benches was fun at that age. It was really our vacation. He just got to come along for the ride.

You may get more responses to this question on the family board.

Guest Nellsmom58

I'm sticking my neck out here, but IMOHO one-year-olds shouldn't be on an Alaskan cruise. And yes, I have three children and two grandchildren, teach, and LOVE KIDS, but cruising with a baby is something that should be carefully considered, especially with the exorbitant prices for Alaska, not to mention the weather. I do hope you reconsider, not only for your baby's sake because of the climate and potential exposure to norovirus, which is rare but extremely dangerous for babies, but because of the problems fussy babies create for fellow guests who have paid dearly to have an enjoyable cruise. Sorry, but I don't agree on this one.

Bring your baby. I've seen plenty of people off of the cruise ships that have brought infants younger then yours. You've got a lot time to figure out what you'd like to do and see when your in-port. Some cruise lines cater to a younger crowd so you'll want to look at those options as well. Try to stay away from the cruise lines that cater of old crusty people that fell the need to prance around in their evening gowns and tuxes. Those aren't fun even without young children.

I think that you are a bit bonkers to do the trip w a 1 year old since I believe that the ideal time to travel with a child is when they can appreciate anything at all. After all, you are spending a significant amount of money to take him on the cruise not counting all the stuff that you have to bring.

We took out 10 year old granddaughter to AK (1 week on a cruise; 1 week independent land travel) and she loved it. Any younger and she would not have gotten it. As long as she could call her folks every day she was happy.

That said, it is probably better to do it when your child is one than when he is two. At 1, you just plonk him into the carrier, make sure he is warm and fed, and he will sleep through the whole trip. Next year when he is 2, he will be mobile but not really mobile so all he will do is slow you down.

Much more work and less trip for you.

DON

I'm sticking my neck out here, but IMOHO one-year-olds shouldn't be on an Alaskan cruise. And yes, I have three children and two grandchildren, teach, and LOVE KIDS, but cruising with a baby is something that should be carefully considered, especially with the exorbitant prices for Alaska, not to mention the weather. I do hope you reconsider, not only for your baby's sake because of the climate and potential exposure to norovirus, which is rare but extremely dangerous for babies, but because of the problems fussy babies create for fellow guests who have paid dearly to have an enjoyable cruise. Sorry, but I don't agree on this one.

We have been on many Alaska cruises and have seen many babies onboard. There is no reason that a family should be discouraged from traveling together with their baby. I'm not sure what you are referrring to in regards to the climate which is fairly temperate in the summer with the exception of Glacier viewing and some cooler rainy days. It is not like they are going to the Arctic. In fact it can be downright warm on some summer days in Alaska. Nothing a baby couldn't be bundled up for just as they would at home in a cool climate. Last I heard plenty of babies grow up in Alaska. :rolleyes:

And as far as norovirus, if proper hygiene precautions are taken it is unlikely that a baby would come down with it and the biggest danger is for babies under a year that might be more subject to dehydration. And honestly, norovirus is found everywhere, so a baby has just as much chance of being exposed in the shopping cart at the market as they do on a cruise ship.

I think it is unfortunate that you seem to be trying to scare them out of the trip by making them think it is dangerous or irresponsible. Yes, it might be more work and their activities will be limited but plenty of people make it work and in all of my cruises I have never been disturbed by a baby. Grown adults who should know how to behave, yes, but never a little one. Most parents we encounter traveling with young children go above and beyond to be considerate of others.

To the OP, go and have fun. Enjoy your baby and enjoy Alaska. Just know that you will need to pace yourself around your baby's needs and schedule and plan accordingly and you will have a wonderful cruise.

We recently (last month) returned from the RCI Radiance northbound Alaska cruise with our family that included our 17 month old grandson..Did we have an amazing time...YES. RCI has a great nursery that caters to the age of 6-36 months..and there were 9 around his age and younger onboard.

Don't let anyone discourage you from a family cruise...Enjoy making memories and live life !!

I am also going to go out on a limb.

Yes, taking your 1 year old on a cruise is fine but you are limited on doing the type of activities and excursions that may make it the ultimate adventure for an adult.

I know this is not possible for all families but if there are grand parents or family members that are able to take care of your little one then I would definitely take advantage of their help. A one year old is not going to remember this cruise. You on the other hand will. I have taken care of my grand children for years and have felt very fortunate. Taking a break as just husband and wife is fine.

We recently (last month) returned from the RCI Radiance northbound Alaska cruise with our family that included our 17 month old grandson..Did we have an amazing time...YES. RCI has a great nursery that caters to the age of 6-36 months..and there were 9 around his age and younger onboard.

Don't let anyone discourage you from a family cruise...Enjoy making memories and live life !!

Love your positive response! We've had a lot of wonderful trips with our little guy who has now somehow managed to be 9 years old already. We have lots of vacation photo books with photos of him with us making lots of memories with us. And even if he doesn't recall the early trips, he has lots of pictures to look at in the photo books...and the memories are in my heart.

Just one other piece of advice - check out the Family Board here on the CC Forum. There is a very supportive environment there for families cruising with young children and plenty of good advice from those that have been there, done that!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

No one will scold you there. I promise!! :)

We took our youngest daughter on her first Alaskan cruise when she was 13 months. No regrets! We had a great time! There weren't many kids on the ship, so the staff treated her like a princess. For excursions, we did the Helicopter flight/dogsledding on Mendenhall glacier, the Sea Otter tour (boat ride), we hired a floatplane to go out to watch the bears and we took a ride on the White Pass Railroad - all with her along. She's 8 years old now, and we're heading back on August 12 to do it again!

We just got off a cruise involving our four children, oldest age eight and including a nine month old. We had a great time. It was not Alaskan but it was still a cruise. Our kids did great because we didn't try and do things not appropriate for them.

I say life is short. If you and your husband want to go and can afford it. Do it. Your baby won't remember it, but you will. Sometimes waiting for the ideal scenario in life will mean waiting a long time or forever.

Live your life....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You can certainly do what you think is best for you, your family and the baby. The only opinion I have is that whatever you choose to do, it is your responsibility to see that other guests are not disturbed by your choice.

You can certainly do what you think is best for you, your family and the baby. The only opinion I have is that whatever you choose to do, it is your responsibility to see that other guests are not disturbed by your choice.

I think this advice could be applied to everyone at any age. It's all about common courtesy and consideration for fellow passengers. And as I've noted, I can't think of one instance when my cruise has been disturbed by a baby. It's many of the grown adults that could do well to heed this advice.

I think this advice could be applied to everyone at any age. It's all about common courtesy and consideration for fellow passengers. And as I've noted, I can't think of one instance when my cruise has been disturbed by a baby. It's many of the grown adults that could do well to heed this advice.

Well said !! :D

Guest Nellsmom58

You are quite right. But also very lucky, and have missed the point. We've had babies crying uncontrollably and parents putting up with it without removing them from the dining room. The difference is that babies are babies and should NOT be expected to conform, whereas adults CAN and should be held responsible, and often are by staff. You seem to be advocating for the take-your-baby-anywhere-it's-okay group. More power to you for your position. However, please respect that not everyone agrees with that position. Thanks for your input.

Other guests are not the OP's responsibliity. And if other guests choose to be disturbed, that is on them. I'm not advocating letting the baby be chaotic and scream through a show, but some people don't like the very "idea" of a baby, and that's not the OPs fault.

We are going on a cruise next month with my 6-month old nephew! I'll let you know how it goes. He's actually the least of my concerns. It's my 3-yr old that I think will be the bigger challenge.

No worries everyone! My husband and I are definitely the "try not to disturb others" type. We completely understand we won't be able to do all the extreme excursions we would have been able to without our daughter, but we are prepared to take it easier this time around. As I mentioned, we are experienced cruisers, just not quite experienced parents yet ;) We understand many cruising couples want quiet time and an endlessly crying baby would hamper that (but like I said, we're not those people! :)) I just don't think we can wait to cruise until she's older -- I have to agree to the live life while you can comment :cool:

If anyone has any other excursion ideas, the ports we're looking at include: Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Thanks again for all your advice/support!

You are quite right. But also very lucky, and have missed the point. We've had babies crying uncontrollably and parents putting up with it without removing them from the dining room. The difference is that babies are babies and should NOT be expected to conform, whereas adults CAN and should be held responsible, and often are by staff. You seem to be advocating for the take-your-baby-anywhere-it's-okay group. More power to you for your position. However, please respect that not everyone agrees with that position. Thanks for your input.

Well said!!

Other guests are not the OP's responsibliity. And if other guests choose to be disturbed, that is on them. I'm not advocating letting the baby be chaotic and scream through a show, but some people don't like the very "idea" of a baby, and that's not the OPs fault.

We are going on a cruise next month with my 6-month old nephew! I'll let you know how it goes. He's actually the least of my concerns. It's my 3-yr old that I think will be the bigger challenge.

I respectfully disagree with you. It is the responsibility of all cruise guests to be sure that their own behavior, or those of their children of any age, does not bother folks around them. Common courtesy.

LOL Ain't that the truth?? :D

To the OP- We're leaving in a week for our Alaskan cruisetour with our 9 month old and 4.5 year old sons (and DH's parents, sisters, BILs, and nieces). Maybe it is a little crazy but it's going to be fun! DH and I have very carefully planned (packing, excursions, plans, etc) to make the trip as easy as possible and we're fully aware we will "miss out" on some of the typical Alaska things we would like to do. In exchange, I get to spend two week watching my 4 year old discover the beauty of the world. And my baby gets to spend two weeks being loved on by the extended family. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them in August.

Well back to the point of your post which is excursion ideas! :)

We have had great experience with renting cars in Alaska which would likely work well with a baby as you could explore at your own pace and have a place for napping along the way. Most car rental agencies will also rent car seats for an additional charge.

Skagway in particular might be a great port to rent a car and drive the Yukon highway. It is very scenic with plenty of stops along the way. Google Murray's Guide which will give you a point by point description of what to look for. You can also stop at Carcross and see the Husky puppies which is sure to delight any 1 year old!

In Juneau if you opt for whale watching, I would book through the ship so you are on a larger vessel that would accommodate a stroller. Lots of hiking options there as well if you are bringing a backpack which might come in handy. Again, a car can come in very handy in Juneau as there is quite a bit of beautiful scenery outside the confines of the town.

Ketchikan is very walkable with either a stroller or backpack. You could also book a tour with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours which would provide you with a way to visit the totem poles both at Saxman and Totem Bight parks as well as other beautiful areas. Dave and Kat are great with kids. A one year old might find the energy and excitement of the lumberjack show fun there too.

Sitka is another very walkable town with lots to see within walking distance of the port. There is also a shuttle that will take you to sites a bit further afield like the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear. Seeing the eagles and bears would likely be something fun to do as a family. There is a very pretty park there too with walking trails and totem poles.

Icy Strait Point is a place where you could do some beach combing at the scenic little beach right at the port. Lots of room to roam. There is a museum and native cultural and dance demonstrations right at the port as well that are very family friendly. And the walk into town and back is very pretty and could be done with a stroller.

In Victoria you could visit the Butchart Gardens or Butterfly Gardens or just have fun walking around the town. It is a beautiful place. Along the Inner Harbour you can see many street performers - magicians, singers, etc. You could also do a horse drawn carriage tour which might be fun for a little one.

These are all things we have done which would be very manageable with a baby or toddler along. Hope that helps!

Edited by karatemom2

I meant to write this earlier, but thank you Cheryl H for giving me a few ideas to consider :) Very helpful.

Also, Suzi-G- I'd love to hear about it when you get back :D Good luck and hope you have a fantastic time!

Thank you so much too karatemom2!! Fantastic list -- thank you for all your support as well ;) Sounds like you've got experience with this and I really appreciate your advice!

Victoria is one of my favorites!!! Visit Barb's Fish & Chips at Fisherman's Wharf. They have good fish and chips plus you can also buy some raw fish from one of the vendors there and feed the seals right off the dock there. Also you can catch a water taxi there by Barb's and go to the Inner Harbour. Walk through the Empress Hotel, walk down Government Street and get some chocolate candy or some ice cream in Rogers Chocolate Store. Also we took a nice horse & carriage ride here.

It seems like when our son was 1, he really took an interest in Elmo's World DVD's. You might bring along a portable DVD player for your cabin for a little down time with Elmo. I think the DVD's come with 3 episodes each on them.

Have fun and make lots of memories!