How to??

We would love to cruise Australia and New Zealand but hate the long flights. We just returned from a trip to Europe where I was able to find a cruise both directions, is this possible with Australia/New Zwaland? Has anyone done this and if so how. I can't find a match. Thanks Lou

The big cruise companies do a trans pacific from the US to Australia twice a year. Come here in around October and return to the US the following April. So if you are prepared to spend 6 months in Austalia you can do it. The only other alternative would be to check out the ships that are doing world cruises and see if you can get a section that is coming over or going back mid season.

Or link together cruises that go from Australia to Asia to Europe then to the US (might as well do a world cruise).

I think the main reason and it is my opion only, is that it takes approx 22 days to get to the US from Australia and visa versa that this is not a cruise the mainstream companies want to do on a regular basis. Especially as it has a LOT of sea days. Whereas a cruise from New York to London takes a lot less time.

Those of us that don't like long flights tend to do stop overs instead, eg LA to Hawaii, Hawaii to Auckland then Auckland to Sydney. Spend a couple of nights touring each spot.

Edited by Wastegirl

Wastegirl, thanks for the quick response. We will look into splitting up the long flight, that is a good idea. But would love to do a TP coupled with a good Australia/New Zealand cruise then catch something either coming back to the states or even part way. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

We would love to cruise Australia and New Zealand but hate the long flights. We just returned from a trip to Europe where I was able to find a cruise both directions, is this possible with Australia/New Zwaland? Has anyone done this and if so how. I can't find a match. Thanks Lou

if you have the time and money the Pacific Princess is doing a world cruise 23rd january 2015 and arrives in Sydney 14th february, you could leave the ship there and spend some time in Sydney and catch the p&o Aurora from Sydney 7th march and arrive San Francisco 30/3/15.....they both have sectors available

Apart from the options already mentioned, variations of them are certainly possible depending on time and money.

I would fly to Hawaii and stop over for a few days and then continue through to Australia. Then do some touring and your Aussie/NZ cruises, then do the cruise back to the US. Cruising after flights is much easier than flying after cruises.:D

The Volendam (Holland America) is doing a cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney on September 27th and then doing a circum navigation of Australia if that is of interest. If you wanted to do NZ you could pick up a NZ cruise from Sydney later.

As noted by others, the Pacific is too wide and the logistics not working to do a USA to Australia/NZ ship connection that would work that well. BUT, here's another alternative to consider.

It's Hawaii and/or one of the other great stop-over islands in the Pacific to consider.

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. We used Hawaii as a stop-over both ways to break up and lessen the negatives for such long, cross-Pacific flights. Overnight in Honolulu on the way down. Four days on the Big Island coming back Worked super well. Check out these postings for more info/background on how we did this trip, great port stop options, etc. Lots of visuals, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 66,393 views for this fun posting.

Here’s the first view from the balcony of our Aston Circle Waikiki Hotel room. The pink building shown under the mega high-rise is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel built in 1927 as the second destination resort on this island.:

NikonCamerasNew6_zps539d222a.jpg

What is Waikiki Beach without famed Diamond Head? In real life, it is even more impressive! and fun to soak up its majestic drama.:

NikonCamerasNew2_zps15fea954.jpg

From Pearl Harbor, here are only two quick picks/highlights. First, approaching the USS Arizona Memorial with the USS Missouri on the left standing guard. Second, is the Park Ranger on the Memorial giving historic background for why and how this site still leaks about 10 quarts of oil each day from the sunken hull of this ship that cost so many American lives. Very moving to visit personally and learn more background for what led up to this surprise attack on Dec. 7, 1941.:

NikonCamerasNew4_zps84ef105a.jpg

NikonCamerasNew5_zps0f228afd.jpg

Thanks Terry. :)

I have to say as an Aussie who has grown up by the beach, I could never figure out why people raved about our beaches. I always thought sand was sand & oceans were oceans etc.

I keep thinking of Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays and realise how lucky we are here! Those photos are just another reminder as to why I am so uninterested in Caribbean cruises! :)

As noted by others, the Pacific is too wide and the logistics not working to do a USA to Australia/NZ ship connection that would work that well. BUT, here's another alternative to consider.

It's Hawaii and/or one of the other great stop-over islands in the Pacific to consider.

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. We used Hawaii as a stop-over both ways to break up and lessen the negatives for such long, cross-Pacific flights. Overnight in Honolulu on the way down. Four days on the Big Island coming back Worked super well. Check out these postings for more info/background on how we did this trip, great port stop options, etc. Lots of visuals, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 66,393 views for this fun posting.

Here’s the first view from the balcony of our Aston Circle Waikiki Hotel room. The pink building shown under the mega high-rise is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel built in 1927 as the second destination resort on this island.:

NikonCamerasNew6_zps539d222a.jpg

What is Waikiki Beach without famed Diamond Head? In real life, it is even more impressive! and fun to soak up its majestic drama.:

NikonCamerasNew2_zps15fea954.jpg

From Pearl Harbor, here are only two quick picks/highlights. First, approaching the USS Arizona Memorial with the USS Missouri on the left standing guard. Second, is the Park Ranger on the Memorial giving historic background for why and how this site still leaks about 10 quarts of oil each day from the sunken hull of this ship that cost so many American lives. Very moving to visit personally and learn more background for what led up to this surprise attack on Dec. 7, 1941.:

NikonCamerasNew4_zps84ef105a.jpg

NikonCamerasNew5_zps0f228afd.jpg

This is what we were looking for!! We are from Texas and didn't want a 23 hour plane trip.....besides, it's like taking 2 vacations!

How is the weather in both Hawaii and Australia in February?

Marybee3, I can't comment on weather in Hawaii, but in Australia February is the last of our summer months. Typically, the weather ranges from hot to bloody hot!. Whilst you can have stretches of comfortable weather around 30deg celsius, you can get extreme temperatures of 40deg celsius and above for a number of days in a row. And being summer bush fires are possible although should not impact upon your trip if staying in or nearby cities. If you plan to travel further north from Sydney (into Queensland if going to the Great Barrier Reef) then it becomes more tropical and stable (without the weather fluctuations that we get in Southern Australia). In the tropics summer is cyclone season although don't let this be a hindrance.

We're sailing around the top of Australia (Perth to Sydney) in Feb 2015 and I'm not too concerned about cyclones. I live near Melbourne in Victoria and our weather is a bit more extreme than Sydney New South Wales which would be your arrival port. The joke (although true) about Melbourne is that you can get all four seasons in one day.

I don't mean to alarm you with temperatures but you must be aware that extreme heat conditions are possible at that time of year.

So what with our extreme weather, bushfires, cyclones, not to mention our spieders, snakes and crocodiles ..... why would you want to come here? LOL

Seriously, the weather can be very hot so you need to be aware/prepared for that. Natural disasters happen anywhere occasionally and the best chance you'll have of seeing our deadly fauna is at a wildlife zoo or sanctuary.

There's certainly plenty to see and do in Australia.

Earlier this year I did San Francisco to Sydney on Curnard (Queen Elizabeth) and a few people on this cruise then did 3 days in Sydney and then caught Queen Victoria back to San Francisco. That is another thought for you. Both of these were sections of the World Cruises.

Chez

I'd break it up with a stop in Hawaii if you want to fly the whole way, or look at one of the transpacifics one way, but these will take a month if you go the whole way. We did one from Hawaii to Sydney last year and it was 19 nights. I think the cruise before from Esenada to Hawaii was 11 nights.

Is there a particular time of year you want to do this?

As others have suggested, a stopover in Honolulu is a great way to do it but you can then break it up further by flying Honolulu to Fiji on Fiji Airways and then Fiji to either Sydney or Auckland or your can fly Honolulu to Tahiti and then Tahiti to Auckland or Tahiti to Rarotonga then Raro to either Sydney or Auckland. That way you get to see a fair bit of the South Pacific as well.

I hate flying so I am always looking at breaking our flights up.

Cheers

Di

Marybee3, I can't comment on weather in Hawaii, but in Australia February is the last of our summer months. Typically, the weather ranges from hot to bloody hot!. Whilst you can have stretches of comfortable weather around 30deg celsius, you can get extreme temperatures of 40deg celsius and above for a number of days in a row. And being summer bush fires are possible although should not impact upon your trip if staying in or nearby cities. If you plan to travel further north from Sydney (into Queensland if going to the Great Barrier Reef) then it becomes more tropical and stable (without the weather fluctuations that we get in Southern Australia). In the tropics summer is cyclone season although don't let this be a hindrance.

We're sailing around the top of Australia (Perth to Sydney) in Feb 2015 and I'm not too concerned about cyclones. I live near Melbourne in Victoria and our weather is a bit more extreme than Sydney New South Wales which would be your arrival port. The joke (although true) about Melbourne is that you can get all four seasons in one day.

I don't mean to alarm you with temperatures but you must be aware that extreme heat conditions are possible at that time of year.

So what with our extreme weather, bushfires, cyclones, not to mention our spieders, snakes and crocodiles ..... why would you want to come here? LOL

Seriously, the weather can be very hot so you need to be aware/prepared for that. Natural disasters happen anywhere occasionally and the best chance you'll have of seeing our deadly fauna is at a wildlife zoo or sanctuary.

There's certainly plenty to see and do in Australia.

Spiders, snakes bush fires, crocodiles........hmmmmm.......you make it sound so inviting!:o

I am so glad you gave me this information. It helps with our decision on the time of the year to enjoy Australia. Thank you for your help and I will make sure to steer clear of the critters when I arrive!

Team Alpha said Feb in Aus is Hot or bloody hot, s/he forgot to add VERY BLOODY HOT.

There are a number of cruises from Sydney to Hawaii each year you may then be able to get a cruise Hawaii to USA.

But don't forget that in Feb Aus is a bit warm.

And don't worry about the spiders and snakes you probably won't see any, now the flies!!

Royal go Sydney to Hawaii then to Seattle every April or may as repositioning and back early sept

Hawaii in feb is hot but not as much as normal as is winter

The high

Mountains get snow covered on the island of Hawaii itself

Or do part of a world cruise on Cunard in late jam from San Francisco to aus

All options

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums