Dress Code for Dinner?

LOL, it's amazing what some people will do to save money on airline-related travel. Our friends who were joining us on a cruise and don't fly much booked Spirit Airways, even after I told them which flights we would be on (JetBlue and Delta). They probably saved $50 each on the ticket but had to stand in 90 minute check-in lines and pay fees, fees, fees out the wazoo. And then they spent $900+ on alcoholic beverages for a week.

We know people like this! They also remove Gratuities!:eek:

I sort of agree, but it would nice if the dress code "suggestion" was adhered to and these threads would be a thing of the past. Much like in the work world you have employees that do what is expected and what the employee handbook says they should do, then you have those that do less than is required but because of the problem with firing employees in todays world they continue to be employed. Other employees that do adhere to the rules as do other cruisers that adhere to the rules don't like it but have to put up with it.

But, look at how employment law has changed over the years, due mainly to employee welfare. This has been because employees wanted it to change. A handbook is written from an employee and an employer perspective with a lot of employee input. Employees will complain if they are not happy (talking generally, not on a cruise ship).

I'm not saying for one minute this is as serious or even a big issue, but when cruise ships were first 'invented' there was a class structure which included dress code.

Rules, suggestions will be updated depending on what the customer wants. At the moment, on cruise critic, the split is 50 / 50 roughly regarding dress code.

Policies will change, I personally believe this one will. There will be some cruise lines whose USP is more 'classy' and you pay a lot more for that experience.

RCI want custom from mainstream folk due to mainstream costs. I would also suggest that many dress smartly for work and its just an inconvenience to dress up for dinner on a cruise which is sold as informal.

I like dressing up sometimes, and my hubby looks fab in tux :D but maybe as someone else suggested, perhaps there could be a specialty dining area specific to this.

I watched titanic at the weekend. Seen it many times before but after joining CC you see things differently :rolleyes:. By all accounts there was very little health and safety, and a most apparent class system. Thank goodness these have been done away with. Along with the long dresses for women in stiffling heat!

Edited by Adayatatime

We know people like this! They also remove Gratuities!:eek:

Ironically the mark up on alcohol on RC probably keep people in employment a lot more than gratuities. Also don't you have to pay a service charge on each drink? I would hazard a guess that RC prefer a customer who spends that amount on alcohol.

Edited by Adayatatime

Ironically the mark up on alcohol on RC probably keep people in employment a lot more than gratuities. Also don't you have to pay a service charge on each drink? I would hazard a guess that RC prefer a customer who spends that amount on alcohol.

Yes, every drink has a 15% gratuity added. On some European cruises, they raise the drink menu prices 15% to cover the gratuity so they don't have to add the gratuity at purchase.

As long as that suggestion is in the travel documents that everyone signs and agrees too, I will follow them, and will still look down at those that don't.

Classic. :rolleyes:

Edited by CruiseTobey

• 3 weeks later...

Put things in perspective. People with very small children dining at 5:30 as to not disturb others that like it late and quiet would hate to dress up in a tie and jacket only to handle a toddler with messy hands and needing a diaper change.

Everyone is not traveling under the same conditions to allow for complete lea sure.

Policies will change, I personally believe this one will. There will be some cruise lines whose USP is more 'classy' and you pay a lot more for that experience.

RCI want custom from mainstream folk due to mainstream costs. I would also suggest that many dress smartly for work and its just an inconvenience to dress up for dinner on a cruise which is sold as informal.

I like dressing up sometimes, and my hubby looks fab in tux :D but maybe as someone else suggested, perhaps there could be a specialty dining area specific to this.

I watched titanic at the weekend. Seen it many times before but after joining CC you see things differently :rolleyes:. By all accounts there was very little health and safety, and a most apparent class system. Thank goodness these have been done away with. Along with the long dresses for women in stiffling heat!

On the Titanic it didn't matter what C&A level you were, if you didn't stay first class, you didn't dine first class. On RCI that would mean the D,D+ and Pinnacle members still needed to book the large suites to enjoy the perks. No more DL for D+ members on the waterline interior cabins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matj2000

You have just started the 1,000,000,000 post this year on this very subject.

Why doesn't anyone search the subject before asking a question??

------------------------/-//-------------------

Answer:

Because you take the bait.

And another question?

Considering you have cruised a lot,

Please be more helpful than so negative.

Why do you not respond on another CC thread

as to why you say you will not ever

cruise on a Voyager Class ship again?

A few posters have asked for informative response after your negative post?

With no response?

Edited by ssb

If the dress matched the food in the MDR what would you wear? The best suit or dress at Target. Looks better than it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What do you wear in the specialty restaurants?

What do you wear in the specialty restaurants?

I always bring a blue blazer and wear it with a button down shirt and khakis. Our up coming cruise is our 4th or 5th, if you count a Seine River cruise, and it will be the first time I am not bringing my tux. One, I'm afraid to try it on in case it doesn't fit and two, its a summer Caribbean cruise. Not bringing any suits just a blazer to wear on formal nights. We're by passing Chops this time, I don't care about the up charge, just don't think its that great. We'll try Izumi and Giovani's. I won't wear the blazer for sushi.

I may make fun of people who criticize what others wear because the others are adults and should know what to do. Hats should never be worn at the supper table (this means you Texans, men shouldn't wear open toed shoes at the supper table and grown up men should wear a collared shirt that buttons with long pants to dinner, except at the buffet. Jackets optional and ties unnecessary. Country club rules.

I always bring a blue blazer and wear it with a button down shirt and khakis. Our up coming cruise is our 4th or 5th, if you count a Seine River cruise, and it will be the first time I am not bringing my tux. One, I'm afraid to try it on in case it doesn't fit and two, its a summer Caribbean cruise. Not bringing any suits just a blazer to wear on formal nights. We're by passing Chops this time, I don't care about the up charge, just don't think its that great. We'll try Izumi and Giovani's. I won't wear the blazer for sushi.

I may make fun of people who criticize what others wear because the others are adults and should know what to do. Hats should never be worn at the supper table (this means you Texans, men shouldn't wear open toed shoes at the supper table and grown up men should wear a collared shirt that buttons with long pants to dinner, except at the buffet. Jackets optional and ties unnecessary. Country club rules.

Open toed shoes ?

Now there is a new one.

I did not know boots had open toes?

How did bashing Texans get thrown into the pot? :rolleyes:

Edited by ssb

Open toed shoes ?

Now there is a new one.

I did not know boots had open toes?

How did bashing Texans get thrown into the pot? :rolleyes:

Texans seem to think a cowboy hat is license to be impolite.

Texans seem to think a cowboy hat is license to be impolite.

There is a saying

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

It is polite, and possibly also advantageous,

to abide by the customs of a society when one is a visitor.

I know you don't think of Texas as a society,

but it is known as The Republic of Texas.

We are proud of our Heritage!

I even wear a tux with the Texas flag bow tie, cumber bun, and studs

on our many cruises.

Hey it is fun!

But I don't wear a cowboy hat on the ship.

Yes some Texans wear a cowboy hat and jeans and boots on the ship.

But they also wear them here in Texas,

down on the ranch,

and in the white collar business world.

It is acceptable at the country club also.

It is a way of life down here.

Even the City of Houston hosts

the Largest Fair in North America.

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

A true international event.

With over 2,500,000 in attendance in 2014.

The event occurs in the spring for a month every year since 1934,

with over $350 million given for education to date to the youth of Texas.

We are proud of our Heritage.

www.rodeohouston.com

Enjoy your cruises!:)

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

Edited by ssb

• 3 weeks later...

My choice in clothes was perfectly fine, I have to say that I didn't see anyone that was underdressed, everyone on the ship dressed up nicely! As for the cruise itself, it was wonderful! I can't wait to go on another cruise hopefully on Royal very soon!

I am going to be going on the Explorer of the Seas this Saturday, July 12, I already have an outfit set aside for formal night, but I was curious if Dockers type pants and a collared polo shirt would be ok to wear to dinner the rest of the nights?

No problem. Enjoy your cruise.

On Allure of the Seas now.

In MDR, we saw a lot of the men wear polo shirts, tee-shirts, athletic shoes without socks, and shorts---yes, even on formal night.

I don't think the maitre ds even said anything to them.

Plus a lot of passengers came to the MDR one hour late. (1st seating)

Women wore sundresses, hot pants with heels, capris on formal night.:p

On Allure of the Seas now.

In MDR, we saw a lot of the men wear polo shirts, tee-shirts, athletic shoes without socks, and shorts---yes, even on formal night.

I don't think the maitre ds even said anything to them.

Plus a lot of passengers came to the MDR one hour late. (1st seating)

Women wore sundresses, hot pants with heels, capris on formal night.:p

The times have changed!