DIY CND Shellac - a continuing review

magandab

Okay, like so many ladies, I want pretty nails. I'm not good at doing them, they bend peel and break easily. I hate the commitment to regular visits to a salon, the cost, and mostly the time. Not to mention that my last two attempts left me with disastrous results.

So, first I treated my nails with Nailtiques After Acrylics, and was blown away with how quickly my badly damaged nails recovered. Then I used Nailtiques Formula 2 until they grew out and looked healthy again.

During that time I started reading up on alternatives. I have a 14-day cruise coming up and wanted something that would last.

Then I saw that CND now offers Shellac to the public. Amazon sells polish, base, and topcoat. Drugstore.com has a UV lightbox that works great and comes with gloves to protect the rest of your hands, great gel polish remover (Red Carpet) and the foil wraps for removal. I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained and went for it. The whole investment was under $100.

I chose a very sheer, neutral color so mistakes wouldn't show badly. The color is Nude Knickers. I had watched many videos online and this morning gave it a try.

After shaping and cleaning my nails, I put on a coat of base and cured it. One coat of polish, and cured that. Then the topcoat and cured that. Luckily I knew to expect a tacky finish so was not panicked. I wiped them down with alcohol and -- one nail had no shine. EEK! I coated that one again with topcoat and cured, wiped it down again, and -- I love them. Start to finish, under 30 minutes.

Are they professional looking? No, but better than the results I get from regular polish. I've been cleaning the kitchen all morning ( new stove coming later today) and if this was standard polish I'd have lines, marks and nicks already.

My cruise is in three weeks and if this lasts as advertised, I'll do a fresh manicure the day before we leave and have pretty nails!

I'll report back on how this is working as time goes on. Any questions or comments, I'd love to her them and respond if I can.

I'll post a day 1 photo later. Apparently Photobucket doesn't speak iPad.

I love Bliss Kiss cuticle oil for daytime touch ups (nailcarehq dot com) and either Lemony Flutter from Lush or Burts Bees Lemon Butter cuticle cream for nighttime. I just need to be more consistent using it. Actually, plain old Vaseline is good for cuticles at night too.

Debbie

............... if only they'd come out of the bottle and rub themselves into my fingers without me having to remember.

Cracked me up!

Thank you for the information about the DIY. I've ordered the things to do this with but then life got in the way and haven't. Maybe by fall things will slow down enough to try doing them. Will look forward to reading the rest of your experience! Thanks!

Very nice. :)

If you do move to colours, rather than neutrals, you will probably find that you need 2-3 coats of the colour to achieve a nice even cover. Make sure you run the top coat along the edge of the tip of the nail as this gives a better seal. Also make sure you spread your fingers out under the lamp to ensure the light reaches all around the nails.

I have my nails done professionally every three weeks (because I'm hopeless at painting my own nails). I've had both Shellac and OPI GelCoat and both usually last the whole three weeks if I'm careful (ie no scrubbing pots out without gloves LOL).

I've always loved pretty nails but until these products came on the market I rarely bothered except for special occasions. Regular nail polish just didn't last with me. Now I have pretty nails all the time :) :) :)

I got myself a gel kit last year. I had not done the right research so didn't expect the nails to be tacky, so I kept curing and curing. The nails looked okay, but I RUINED our kitchen table with the nail polish remover I used to remove he old coat. Argghhh.

I'll be watching to see how your nails hold up!

Last night, the shellac lifted at the tip on three of my nails and peeled off. I did more research and saw that I had not "capped" them (put polish on the edge of the nail) and that was probably why. I'll try again.

When I ordered the shellac "stuff" I also ordered some vinylux polish and topcoat. So, I decided to try that next. I used two coats of a very sheer, neutral color, followed by the topcoat last Wednesday evening ( it's now Sunday morning). With normal polish, I would have had chips in the polish by Thursday. So far, this has stayed perfect. Not as shiny as the shellac but looks very good. I'm planning to take a couple of bottles of this, plus topcoat and remover wipes on my cruise, saving the shellac for another try later.

A tip for anyone getting nails done with the aid of a UV light, if you do not have any type of "fingerless" gloves, then apply sunscreen to your hands about twenty min before you start.

I get mine done for me, as I suck at doing it myself.. and I always put on sunscreen before I leave for my appointment.

As for hand cream. Look for Udderly Smooth cream. They have many types, but look for the " Extra Care 20, with 20% UREA" in it.

It is great for your skin, and will gradually lighten blemishes and even small broken veins. Around here the stores do not stock the one containing the 20 % urea. So I get walgreens to order it for me. It actually is cheaper that way than ordering it online.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Read this a day too late? LOL - just had my shellac done yesterday and now I know that I should protect my hands from the UV light (next time I will apply sunscreen BEFORE I go).

Also got a couple of the vinylux polishes and topcoat - while not the same as shellac and not as long lasting - I believe they do last longer than regular polishes!

Read this a day too late? LOL - just had my shellac done yesterday and now I know that I should protect my hands from the UV light (next time I will apply sunscreen BEFORE I go).

Also got a couple of the vinylux polishes and topcoat - while not the same as shellac and not as long lasting - I believe they do last longer than regular polishes!

Never too late to guard against age spots on the hands :D

Never too late to guard against age spots on the hands :D

It's a different type of UV light in a gel lamp - it's not like a tanning bed. You won't get a tan from it, and there has been no studies concluding any skin damage from their use. Not to mention that the presence of sun cream on your hands will keep your uv polish from adhering properly.

I was told that applying a sunscreen on the back of my hands, not all the way down to the fingertips was good protection.

If any sunscreen gets on a nail, then by the time they do the prep before actually applying polish that requires the lamp, it is long gone. 3 years of doing this and I have never had a nail peel or come loose.

And if " the American Academy of Dermatology recommends, ( me) to apply sunscreen to the top of your hands before the manicure to protect against the UV rays."

Then I will err on the side of caution and do so.

Seraphine, I can see that my response to you reads as if I am angry. I am not, I appreciate your input.

Edited by bowsprit

I've been having gel polish manicures for a few years now and have never noticed any tanning from the UV lamps.

However if you do choose to apply sunscreen ensure it does not get onto the nails otherwise the gel won't adhere properly.

Oz, my understanding was that it had more to do with possible skin conditions developing, plus the dreaded age spots lol

Not an actual tan.

But my feeling is that if they are getting antsy about the effects of continous uv usage, then applying sunscreen as advised (to me) will not hurt and may indeed help.

But as you say, make sure it is not down on the actual nail surface.

Today is nail day... time to feel pampered.

Update on the Vinylux. Today is day 6 and not a chip in sight. This might just be what I've been looking for. Even if it's still good by the weekend, I'll be taking it off, shortening my nails (did I say that?) and giving them a few days with Nailtiques. Then Thursday, before I leave at o'dark thirty on Friday, I'll do a fresh coat with an out-of-my-comfort-zone color. Thinking of using a dark green/gold color they have. Maybe.

Hey girlfriend, I've been following The Great Nail Odessy.:) I may have to look into the Vinylux but wondering how hard it is to get off. I don't like the time gel polish takes to get it off.

Right now, I've had pretty good luck with a base coat of Nail-Aid 3 Minute, 2 coats of a regular polish and a top coat of the Nail-Aid. I can get almost a week out of it, especially if I'm not being domestic and cleaning.:D

On cruises, if I haven't gotten a gel polish, I just take some of the 60 second dry, redo and even change color to go with an outfit.

Your cruise is coming up fast and furious. Hope you have a "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and I'll be anxious to hear all about it when you get back.

I'm hoping for an excellent adventure too, with lots of relaxation time mixed in.

I haven't removed the Vinylux yet, but one of their claims to fame is that it removes easily with regular (acetone) remover. I'll let you know for sure this weekend. I am planning on taking the whole kit with me: a variety of colors, the top coat, and individually packaged remover wipes. I'll probably convince Mom to let me give her a mani as well.

This stuff sets up 100% in 8.5 minutes and gets harder after that with exposure to natural UV light (aka, the sun). I did add another coat of topcoat to my nails on Sunday, just to reboost the shine. I still think this will be an "occasion" thing for me and in everyday real life, I'll continue to use the Nailtiques Formula 2 to keep my nails healthy.

Hey girlfriend, I've been following The Great Nail Odessy.:) I may have to look into the Vinylux but wondering how hard it is to get off. I don't like the time gel polish takes to get it off.

Right now, I've had pretty good luck with a base coat of Nail-Aid 3 Minute, 2 coats of a regular polish and a top coat of the Nail-Aid. I can get almost a week out of it, especially if I'm not being domestic and cleaning.:D

On cruises, if I haven't gotten a gel polish, I just take some of the 60 second dry, redo and even change color to go with an outfit.

Your cruise is coming up fast and furious. Hope you have a "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and I'll be anxious to hear all about it when you get back.

I took the Vinylux off last night. I got WalMart brand acetone remover wipes and it whisked right off, no effort at all. I'm using Nailtiques now, will remove it and put fresh Vinylux on on Thursday.

I took the Vinylux off last night. I got WalMart brand acetone remover wipes and it whisked right off, no effort at all. I'm using Nailtiques now, will remove it and put fresh Vinylux on on Thursday.

I'm going to go out today and look for the Revlon Gel Envy...I have read good reports, and it is the same apply steps as the Vinylux. Color and their topcoat. I have read reports that users are getting 7 days wear out of it, and it is easily found in stores.

Will let you know how it works.

Debbie

A 2 week cruise was the reason I started using gel polish. I got tired of having it done, so I bought the stuff and have been doing it myself for nearly a year. They look beautiful every day and easily last at least 2 weeks. The only reason I need to do them is when my nails grow out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I have Gelish and an LED lamp to do my own nails and toes. I find my toes still last the same four weeks as they would if I had them professionally done but mostly my hands won't last more than a week.

I tend to wear the same colour for four week blocks to match the toes so just re-do individual nails when they lift. Not heard of 'capping' so will try that!