Friends of Dorothy need not apply. (redux)

I see many sides of this issue. Miles, perhaps "sophisticated" is not the right word. That would be like saying that only sophisticated cruisers sail on Regent (or Crystal). IMO (and I could certainly be wrong), just as many young folks enjoy the party atmosphere of mainstream cruise lines -even if they could easily afford a sedate luxury cruise line. By the same token, some people in the GLBT community - regardless of financial status or age -- may prefer Gay cruises (I don't think that you or I would appreciate either type of cruise).

Regent is a melting pot of people - both passengers and crew. I have never witnessed discrimination of any type on Regent. Passengers of any race, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc. blend together very well. I continue to look forward to the day when none of this matters and we are all accepting of each other and are treated the same. I do believe that most young children today will grow up without many of the prejudices that have existed in the past. For now, IMO, sailing on Regent is as close as I can get to being in that atmosphere.

Our recent transatlantic (not Regent but the point applies) there were a lot of gay couples who told us they choose to cruise because it's usually a very comfortable, inclusive, accepting vacation option for them. There was a core group who tended to stick together at social events, around the pool, mealtimes, etc even though there were no specific LGBT events organised. But just as many preferred to mix and mingle with the general cohort of passengers. It's a sad fact that there are still places around the world where the LGBT community is not welcome so cruising offers a great opportunity to relax in a "safe" environment.

Having said that they said that there were still some cruise lines and destinations they would avoid due to, ahem, "demographics".

I see many sides of this issue. Miles, perhaps "sophisticated" is not the right word. That would be like saying that only sophisticated cruisers sail on Regent (or Crystal).

Regent is a melting pot of people - both passengers and crew. I have never witnessed discrimination of any type on Regent. Passengers of any race, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc. blend together very well.

This quote reminds me of the very young couple on out last cruise on Crystal. We had dining by reservation and one evening we were seated at tables next to each other. Oh man!!! That young woman (in her 20s maybe), had a potty-mouth that would make a sailor blush. [emoji50]. We were glad to have dining by reservation because never had to dine next to them again.

On your second quote, when we were onboard Regent's Mariner my partner and I would dance together. One occasion two ladies tried to break us up by dancing with us. One was even trying dirty dancing with me [emoji50][emoji15]. Another night an older couple were dancing when we got to the floor, and they stopped and stood there giving us dirty looks. We ignored them, and forgot about them because after we were done another couple (man/woman) came to our table to chat with us and to tell us how glad they were to see us having fun.

[emoji4][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see many sides of this issue. Miles, perhaps "sophisticated" is not the right word. That would be like saying that only sophisticated cruisers sail on Regent (or Crystal). IMO (and I could certainly be wrong), just as many young folks enjoy the party atmosphere of mainstream cruise lines -even if they could easily afford a sedate luxury cruise line. By the same token, some people in the GLBT community - regardless of financial status or age -- may prefer Gay cruises (I don't think that you or I would appreciate either type of cruise).

Regent is a melting pot of people - both passengers and crew. I have never witnessed discrimination of any type on Regent. Passengers of any race, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc. blend together very well. I continue to look forward to the day when none of this matters and we are all accepting of each other and are treated the same. I do believe that most young children today will grow up without many of the prejudices that have existed in the past. For now, IMO, sailing on Regent is as close as I can get to being in that atmosphere.

I agree, well said.[emoji568]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We've been cruising for over twenty years on several different lines and until I ran across this thread, I'de never heard of "Friends of Dorothy" Who was Dorothy by the way?

It's an LGBT meet up. Dorothy is from wizard of oz, since Judy is a gay icon.

From Wikipedia:

In gay slang, a "friend of Dorothy" (occasionally abbreviated FOD) is a term for a gay man.[1] The phrase dates back to at least World War II, when homosexual acts were illegal in the United States. Stating that, or asking if, someone was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning. A similar term "friend of Mrs. King" (i.e. Queen) was used in England, mostly in the first half of the 20th century.[2]

It's an old (outdated?) term, used now for anyone LGBT. I never heard of it before researching if NCL had an lgbt meetup and saw that how they referred to it.

Suite Travels, were you slight dyslectic when you said " GLBT" instead of "LGBT" or is this a new designation? In my post I used "GLBT" because you did. I have a feeling that posters think we are both a bit weird:D

Jackie, just goes to show never drink wine while posting. Glad you caught the error.:)

My partner and I have sailed over 20 cruises on various lines. Regent NEVER discriminated against us, and treated us very well. We have sailed twice on Regent; the Navigator, on a Caribbean cruise, and the Mariner on a trans-Atlantic cruise.

After a few days (or hours) on the ship, you can pretty well figure-out who the FOD's are. You just have to be social and introduce yourselves. It is called "Gay-Dar". That's how I met my partner of over 24 years now.

The FOD meetings, although nice (when hosted), are not necessary and usually a waste of time.

Speaking of "cruising"; anybody remember the days before the internet? You actually had to get off your bum and go out and meet nice people.

The language of unsolicited, polite conversation, in the form of a meet-and-greet, seems to have been lost somewhere along the way to just texting, and expecting arranged meetings.

That's my 2-cents (CAD)!

Edited by JetJock_YHZ