booked on celebrity and agent has stuffed up with the deal help!

i booked on celebrity through an Australian agent and was quoted a great price and was told that they currently had a deal of which we were eligible on the 123 go deal they have currently. so we choose our bonus, quote was sent detailing all this, we agreed went ahead, signed the contract for the cruise again with the bonus noted on the contract as being included, paid the deposit now agent has come back saying he stuffed up and we cant get it. the bonus was for a sizable discount and i have already locked in flights etc. the bonus was what really sold me on the cruise, agent emailed saying needs to know asap so he can cancel and get our deposit back but shouldnt we get it anyway if it was documented contract signed and deposit paid?

Did he give a reason why you can't get the promotion? I booked direct with Celebrity 2 days ago and got it. The promotion was extended till the 31st of July.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I don't suppose that agent is one that comes 1st is it? I was close to booking a cruise and realised the terms and conditions didn't include the freebies that should have been included if you booked elsewhere

i booked on celebrity through an Australian agent and was quoted a great price and was told that they currently had a deal of which we were eligible on the 123 go deal they have currently. so we choose our bonus, quote was sent detailing all this, we agreed went ahead, signed the contract for the cruise again with the bonus noted on the contract as being included, paid the deposit now agent has come back saying he stuffed up and we cant get it. the bonus was for a sizable discount and i have already locked in flights etc. the bonus was what really sold me on the cruise, agent emailed saying needs to know asap so he can cancel and get our deposit back but shouldnt we get it anyway if it was documented contract signed and deposit paid?

I would be check with cruise line what availability there is on your cruise dates - and as someone posted above - the deal is still on. - make a tentative booking - then straightaway get back to your TA - and cancel - and flick a deposit to Carnival - now of course this is only my suggestion - but I would chance it.

Edited by dizzy1948

we booked an inside room and agent offered up that the deal was available with that room, now he has paid the deposit to celebrity they have said it is on ocean view and higher and to upgrade to ocean view is an extra $2000 so he is saying yes it is my (his) mistake but tough luck got an awesome deal on the prices in the first place and they wont honour it as it would be too much of a loss for them. i wouldnt probably have chosen if this cruise if i wasnt sold on the drinks package being included.

we booked an inside room and agent offered up that the deal was available with that room, now he has paid the deposit to celebrity they have said it is on ocean view and higher and to upgrade to ocean view is an extra $2000 so he is saying yes it is my (his) mistake but tough luck got an awesome deal on the prices in the first place and they wont honour it as it would be too much of a loss for them. i wouldnt probably have chosen if this cruise if i wasnt sold on the drinks package being included.

thats a bummer seeing its their mistake and they wont honour it....too bad you cant mention the TA's name

i saw on celebrity site the Century is having some good prices and gratuities included whilst its sailing in our waters

we booked an inside room and agent offered up that the deal was available with that room, now he has paid the deposit to celebrity they have said it is on ocean view and higher and to upgrade to ocean view is an extra $2000 so he is saying yes it is my (his) mistake but tough luck got an awesome deal on the prices in the first place and they wont honour it as it would be too much of a loss for them. i wouldn't probably have chosen if this cruise if i wasn't sold on the drinks package being included.

Yeah I don't think the deals where offered to inside cabins.

Tell him he can correct his error by offering you OBC for the inconvenience and disappoint of his service. I would be escalating this to their manager and if you get no satisfaction there, use social media. I did once with once and bang within 20 mins problem was sorted out.

Edited by icat2000

Since you have a signed contract the TA is bound by law to honour it.

Not sure what state you are in but NSW Fair Trading, http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Contracts.page?, says this:

"Once a contract has been signed, neither party can change their mind – both parties are locked in. If either party still wishes to pull out of the contract before it is finished, they may end up paying a penalty (sometimes the full amount of the contract) or the other party may take them to court to recover their losses."

This page might be useful too http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Advertising_and_pricing/Misleading_or_deceptive_conduct.page?

Escalate it within the TA company.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Because you have everything in writing(email, booking confirmation etc) from the TA I would say that the TA is liable. They should either pay for you drink pkg or upgrade you to oceanview at their cost. Unfortunately they appear to be playing hardball. Agree I would start to name and shame them on social media once I had spoken to a few levels higher up and not received an appropriate result.

If you don't get a response start thinking about a plan B.

What is the date and location of the cruise? As others have said it might be easier (cheaper than the quoted upgrade price to cancel and book elsewhere). I will have a look around for you if you give details to see what is available if you like.

It may also be better to try to get some OBC as others have said as a form of compensation and then just pay the extra to buy a drinks pkg.

Finally as it has been very well documented on every website I have seen that the 1,2,3 go or pick your perk promos only apply to ocean view or above I am amazed that a TA was not aware of that fact. Very disappointing on your behalf.

Edited by woodyren

Given that, it's definitely agent mistake instead of say delays or something changing. They just gave you the wrong advice - but that's their business, so they should accept responsibilty and be accountable for that.

Are they travel professionals, or just amateurs?

Definitely the TA's fault and not Celebrity's. As a result, it is nothing to do with the cruise line. All the promotion for the 1,2,3 Go has said insides were not eligible. I can see how you would book if this was a good price and you were told the drink package came too. What about the manager at the TA? Can you escalate this at all?

As you do not want the added expense of ocean view, suggesting to rebook through the cruise line to get the package is not very useful for you.

So it seems your two options are to either 1) accept a refund or 2) make such a fuss that the TA ends up paying for the drink package for you ($45 pppd or thereabouts I think).

Good luck

Edited by Aussieflyer

Definitely the TA's fault and not Celebrity's. As a result, it is nothing to do with the cruise line. All the promotion for the 1,2,3 Go has said insides were not eligible. I can see how you would book if this was a good price and you were told the drink package came too. What about the manager at the TA? Can you escalate this at all?

As you do not want the added expense of ocean view, suggesting to rebook through the cruise line to get the package is not very useful for you.

So it seems your two options are to either 1) accept a refund or 2) make such a fuss that the TA ends up paying for the drink package for you ($45 pppd or thereabouts I think).

Good luck

I would think a good ta would honour that anyway being their fault

I know most I know would

Good luck with your chase on this

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I was out if time on my edit - so I continue,

A Contract requires both sides to perform their part of the Contract and if the TA hasn't performed or is not willing to perform then you will need to write to them requesting an outcome and in the event they fail to respond or make a reasonable attempt to remedy the situation you should then lodge a formal complaint with the Office of Fair Trading which they will follow up on your behalf. I note Ozkiwi has given you a link - assuming you are in NSW of course.

Cheers

Di

i am actually in vic, i have spoken to manager at ta and am waiting on her to get back to me with what they will be doing, will post updates when i get them. fb had an offer for $200 obc with that cruise so was a bit dicky of them to offer me $50 obc for the muck up on a $1300 loss to myself from the agreed contract, he didn't put the $200 fb credit on as said i could only do one thing and the drinks package was by far the best, lucky i have an email trail of everything offered.

Vic's legislation is not as easy to follow as NSW's but I did find this for you

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/shopping/contracts-and-sales-calls/contracts

However it seems fairly clear that the contract is enforceable and you should press that point with the TA. If they sound like they aren't going to deal to your satisfaction make noises about getting legal advice ;)

heard back from TA and they will honour the agreement so am very happy and apart from the initial communication with the first agent when i contacted the manager she sorted it quick smart and was very nice about it all.

heard back from TA and they will honour the agreement so am very happy and apart from the initial communication with the first agent when i contacted the manager she sorted it quick smart and was very nice about it all.

Thats a good outcome. You can get on an enjoy planning your cruise.

Congratulations.

I suspect your original TA will be in for a bit of trouble although it's probably the management's fault for not training their staff properly.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Great result. Another win for the consumer and your TA's company deserves a lot of credit for rectifying their initial mistake.

Slightly off topic but I recently changed a booking to a large US web based TA. I had researched their special deal and it offered all 3 1,2,3 go perks along with the same price as my original booking that came with only the one (Drinks pkg) and some OBC. So I cancelled and rebooked with them. While I was there I enquired about the other cruises I had booked and they added free grats ad additional OBC to my original booking so I cancelled with my original TA (got all money back within 4 days) and booked with them. I happened to check out their sale adds for this cruise a few days later and saw that they were also offering a specialty restaurant meal for 2 as well as the grats and OBC in a box under Quantum of the Seas. As I did not receive the meal deal I gave them a call. When I enquired they drew to my attention the small print conditions that were in another box underneath that said "free specialty restaurant" not available for Quantum cruises. I agreed that I was wrong once they pointed this out and was just about to hang up feeling a little foolish. The agent said to hold on then rang his supervisor and told me that the add was indeed a little misleading and gave me the meal. Not much in the scheme of things either way but I appreciate the great customer service.

Edited by woodyren