New to cruising with Celebrity any hints

Hi Everyone ,

Need a little help here ,but I need to expand a bit here- so you know why.

This will be my first time cruising on Celebrity .

I have 2 cruises booked with Celebrity(Century) coming up in the coming months .the 1st one is a short Family cruise -my Son and his wife and my grandson (4) and my Daughter and her husband and my other little grandson (3).

They are all going on their first cruise -I am hoping to convert them to the love of cruising ( just like me.!)

What I need is ideas to enhance their cruise so that it is the best cruise possible ,also anything that Celebrity does different to the other cruise lines ? , what are the little secrets ,the things that make a cruise super special , I have started thinking of the little things they may need ,they all in inside cabins

Lanyards are the first thing that comes to my mind .

Thinking of making up like a gift pack for each family ,any suggestions ?

What other things could I put in them to make it more fun?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks Deb :)

Hi Everyone ,

I have 2 cruises booked with Celebrity(Century) coming up in the coming months .the 1st one is a short Family cruise -my Son and his wife and my grandson (4) and my Daughter and her husband and my other little grandson (3).

They are all going on their first cruise -I am hoping to convert them to the love of cruising ( just like me.!)

What I need is ideas to enhance their cruise so that it is the best cruise possible ,also anything that Celebrity does different to the other cruise lines ? , what are the little secrets ,the things that make a cruise super special , I have started thinking of the little things they may need ,they all in inside cabins

Any suggestions ?

Deb with any cruise line staying in an inside cabin if they dont like sleeping in complete darkness is to prop open the bathroom door with the rubbish bin so they have some light shining out so they dont stumble in the dark trying to find the bathroom

another thing is to bring a travel clock as the rooms dont have clocks

Hi Everyone ,

Any suggestions ?

One thing i found interesting on another post was the suggestion of taking battery operated t lights (you can buy in $2 shop) to put in the bathroom at night, so that you dont need to put on the light or keep the door open. I bought some for our upcoming cruise.

Hi Deb

No sailed on Century but have very much enjoyed the Celebrity experience on Solstice. The first thing I would suggest is that you don't go "overboard":D

By that I mean just let them find the enjoyment themselves....after all different people find the pleasure of cruising in different ways.

But here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Design a personalised Door motif for each cabin ...makes them feel special... and helps find your cabin.

2. Get to know their cabin steward, and encourage your mob to do likewise. Also the wait staff and other servers.

3. Observe the Celebrity dress code - esp. for formal night(s). Celebrity is definately not P&O, and I personally like the idea of dressing up for formal night.... as does my wife. It annoys when I read and hear people say that they dont like dressing up, its a holiday etc etc...for me, nowadays, on a cruise is the only time we get to dress up...and yes I wear a Tux...although many men just wear a suit. I am sure I don't have to tell you how much the ladies like the opportunity to put on the "glad rags" :p

You will all enjoy Celebrity...a cut above the others.

Cheers

We leave the tv on with no sound. we have it on the channel that shows the front of the ship. that we when we wake we know if it is day, if we have docked etc.

You will find the century geared towards the older traveller in regard to entertainment, music etc. Don't know which lines you have cruised with in the past but its not a party ship. Also you may find not many children, We did around NZ on century and there were only 3 children on board the ship. so don't tell the grandkidlets about all the kids they will get to play with in kids club or they might not be very happy if there are only a few kids. In fact I don't know if there is kids club, something you should check with celebrity.

If you are going to the islands with the century I expect you will have a lot more families and therefore more kids. I was 56 and hubby 61 and we were very much in the younger maybe 10% of passengers. Lots of walking frames and electric scooters but great people, age is no barrier when there is a common interest like travel. On the solstice there were a lot more passengers and also more varied age but destination was the Mediterranean quite different to NZ and sth pacific.

Great idea about making little packages, the only thing I would suggest to include would be a baby sitting voucher from you to mind each of the grandchildren while mum and dad go out and have dinner totally childfree. For the kids, the usual, pencils, crayons, story book, sticker books, play dough if you are brave enough.

Edited by Tara Jane

We have down most of our cruising with Princess and one with Celebrity. We were very impressed with Celebrity and felt they do a lot of things better than Princess. Things that we liked about Celebrity was:

- welcoming glass of champagne when you came onboard;

- free daily 4 page newspapers for main/bigger countries of the world (Princess use to do this but they stopped it a few years ago).

- better breakfast menu for room service;

- the buffet had a huge selection of food;

- cabins much bigger than Princess;

- fantastic wine tasting (pay $20 and be given a glass. You can then roam from table to table tasting as many of the 20 wines available as many times as you want).

One other thing I found on our Celebrity cruise was they have permanent night lights in the bathroom. Not overly bright, and if the bathroom door is left open, just enough to allow one to see in the cabin without having to turn a light on.

Don't get me wrong...we still enjoy Princess and the perks we get with them are great but we will definitely cruise Celebrity again.

We also take our own digital clock and the light generated from that is enough to provide limited light in the cabin.

Just enjoy yourself is the biggest hint that I could give :D

I've also found that going into every cruise without trying to compare them to each other you will have a much better time :) Every cruise line does something better and some things worse than other lines, don't get caught up in those things they don't do as well and enjoy the things they do better, no matter what the line is even the premium lines don't do everything perfectly. So don't go looking for faults! :p

Celebrity are a great cruise line and you will have a fantastic time.

One more thing if you are a coffee fiend like I am, the only coffee you will get that's even remotely close to being worthy of consumption on Celebrity is from café al bacio, avoid the stuff you get at the restaurants or the buffet at all costs! :rolleyes:

Oh I just thought about the practicalities of washing! I know our princess ship had self serve laundromats. Apparently celebrity don't. With clothes for kids this may get expensive. Just a thought, pack accordingly!:)

Take easy to wash drip dry clothes. Smalls can be hung up in the bathroom. A once a week laundry bag is not that expensive. You are on holidays, why would you want to be slaving in a laundry.

Take easy to wash drip dry clothes. Smalls can be hung up in the bathroom. A once a week laundry bag is not that expensive. You are on holidays, why would you want to be slaving in a laundry.

I agree cassamanda :) my thoughts exactly. I was just thinking that a bag a week per traveller would add up, so pack items that don't need ironing or easy to freshen up etc!

• 2 weeks later...
Oh I just thought about the practicalities of washing! I know our princess ship had self serve laundromats. Apparently celebrity don't. With clothes for kids this may get expensive. Just a thought, pack accordingly!:)

I cruise with my 3 year old son. Yes, his clothes can get drity, mainly with food spills. I take a snap lock bag with a small amount of laundry detergent. If his clothes need a wash, I do this in the bottom of the shower at night while he sleeps and hang them in the bathroom overnight. Also works for adult smalls.

• 2 weeks later...