Whale watching in Kenai Fjords vs. in Juneau

andant

Hi all, thank you all for all the information provided in this forum. We are finalizing our trip preparation (beginning of August), and have one more question.

We are certainly going for a full day Kenai Fjords excursion out of Seward. We are also thinking about booking a whale-watching tour in Juneau. Since both are quite pricy, I am wondering if Juneau whale watching would offer something very different than Kenai Fjords, and if it is worth (in your opinion, of course) to do it after Kenai Fjords? All opinions are appreciated!

Thank you!

The more chances you have, the better! Never know if the weather or nature will cooperate so i would do both.

Having said that, in the Kenai we saw tons of orcas as well as lots of other sea life.

In the Juneau area (we did icy strait point but it's close) it was all humpbacks.

Both amazing experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Juneau last week and a dozen or so whales were bubble net feeding. Apparently they are still there putting on a show this week too, and were there also 2 weeks ago. .... So maybe they will around until August.

They are very different experiences! If whale watching is your only priority for this excursion, definitely go with the Juneau trip. Their focus is on whale watching, and in Juneau or Icy St it's practically guaranteed that you will see whales.

The Kenai day cruise provides more opportunities to see a wide variety of sealife/wildlife plus a close up glacier viewing experience. You will probably see whales but not all trips do.

So if whales are the priority, Juneau is the best bet.

If this is a one and only trip to Alaska, I'd book both trips.

Another consideration ..... 2 of my 3 Kenai Fjords cruises were downgraded to a 3 hr tour of the Bay due to bad weather. Little chance of seeing a whale if you don't leave the Bay. You rarely read of the Juneau or Icy St whale watching trips being cancelled.

p.s. are you doing DIY land travel after the cruise? If so, look at the offerings in the Northern Lights coupon book. They often have BOGO or discounted Kenai cruises. Not worth the expense tho if that's the only coupon you'll use.

Edited by mapleleaves

.......Another consideration ..... 2 of my 3 Kenai Fjords cruises were downgraded to a 3 hr tour of the Bay due to bad weather. Little chance of seeing a whale if you don't leave the Bay. You rarely read of the Juneau or Icy St whale watching trips being cancelled.
I was just about to post the same thing because that is what happened to us on one of our Kenai Fjords tours and it was very disappointing only cruising around inside Resurrection Bay, not getting up into the fjords.

If you are cruising southbound, you hit Seward first, so you can wait to decide about a whale watching tour in Juneau depending on how many whales you get to see on your Kenai Fjords excursion.

But if you are cruising northbound where you hit Juneau first, I would book a whale watching tour there, or at Icy Strait Point (or both) because there is no predicting in advance how much you will get to see or how far you will get at Kenai Fjords.

My priority in Alaska is the wildlife, so I never compromise. I go out as long as time allows.

Last week I went out on two whale watches, and saw nothing but repetitive constant bubble net feeding and two breeches. :) :) :) Hours and hours. :)

I'll be going out on Kenai Fjords boat tours, 4 times in about 1 1/2 week, since I'm with my nephew and enjoy going out. Today I am just back from a fly in brown bear viewing- more excellence. Biggest "over and over" suggestion that is vital, in my opinion, is to stay overnight. I stayed two nights, and was well rewarded with the evening views (out to about midnight both nights due to tides). And just had way more viewing compared to a day trip.

So, absolutely, for "me", both are my priority. You will have to figure out what is right for you.

We will be on the Solstice and visiting both Juneau and Icy Strait Point in mid-September.

Anyone have experience with presence of whales at that time of year and which location would be best for whale watching; understand that both are good but our preferred tour operator only has one tour the day we are there and is already booked.............any suggestions would be welcomed as wife is avid whale watcher

We will be on the Solstice and visiting both Juneau and Icy Strait Point in mid-September.

Anyone have experience with presence of whales at that time of year and which location would be best for whale watching; understand that both are good but our preferred tour operator only has one tour the day we are there and is already booked.............any suggestions would be welcomed as wife is avid whale watcher

Humpbacks don't migrate until way after the cruise season ends, so both locations have excellent whale watches.

Frankly any "avid" whale watcher, probably would be going out twice. :) I am out multiple trips when time allows, being in the "avid" club myself.