Will the viral issues cause ccl to change from Carib

bitemyfly

You guys have me scared now about this new virus, I got west nile 3 years ago and left my right leg paralizyed from it, was in hospital for 4 months. Please don't take this new virus lightly bring your deet.

Carnival is already warning passengers. It was on the front of the Fun Times last week when the Breeze stopped in Dominican Republic.

We did not get off the ship at that port but I am pretty sure I got it anyway-likely in Miami where I got many mosquito bites and the only place I didn't use my DEET.

Given the topic of this thread, I had to laugh (I have a perverted sense of humor - sorry) at the quotation on your signature line. Seems as though the mosquitoes are following your advice.:eek:

Seriously, though, we are connected with a mission station in Haiti, and two South Carolina team members contracted the disease before returning to the States. The doctor definitely diagnosed it and advised them to stay indoors when mosquitoes are out so as not to infect more mosquitoes and thus spread the disease.

They have been suffering the effects for weeks now. The wife said she cannot carry a bowl from the counter to the table with just one hand - must take it in both hands. They are both very weak. It stays with you (or at least it is still with them).

One Haitian who contracted it is on his SECOND bout, which he said is far worse than the first. I would get medical advice before assuming that you are safe from this disease just because you were afflicted once. Just a word of caution.

Happy sails.

Kathy

I spent a week in Puerto Rico the end of June. I didn't hear anybody talk about the Chikungunya virus until now. We did not carry any bug repellent with us, we are fine we didn't get sick. I will be going back in November for a cruise I will make sure I have my bug repellent.

I cannot remember getting bit by a mesquite on any cruise including Costa Rica and an rain Forrest excursion. I won't be worried.

I, too, am one of the lucky ones that mosquitoes do not like at all!

Kathy

Good info, we are traveling to PR next month so will be sure to have Off. I attract mosquitoes, maybe my blood type but who knows.

We have just recently had a case here also in Alachua county from someone who had recently visited the Caribbean, in fact, I believe the article states prior to Thursday, ALL the cases in FL were contracted in the Caribbean.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140717/ARTICLES/140719689?p=1&tc=pg

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/08/01/top-10-things-that-make-you-attractive-to-mosquitoes/

Happy Sailing,

Not sure how many people realize what can happen with these viruses. My niece developed a severely low platelet count when she contracted Dengue Fever in PR. They hospitalized her overnight in case she started bleeding...could treat her with a platelet transfusion. I have never heard of this currently escalating viral outbreak. One good thing is mosquitos are most present early and late and ship tours are generally mid day.

The father of a friend of ours in Miami is at the point of death right now because of this recent virus.

I suppose it is like the flu - worse for older people.

Kathy

Good info, we are traveling to PR next month so will be sure to have Off. I attract mosquitoes, maybe my blood type but who knows.

We have just recently had a case here also in Alachua county from someone who had recently visited the Caribbean, in fact, I believe the article states prior to Thursday, ALL the cases in FL were contracted in the Caribbean.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140717/ARTICLES/140719689?p=1&tc=pg

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/08/01/top-10-things-that-make-you-attractive-to-mosquitoes/

Happy Sailing,

I recently watched a documentary on mosquitos and the viruses they carry.

The 2 major attractors are a high uric acid count and high cholesterol. I recently had all of my blood tests because of the dengue and I was negative on the uric acid but my cholesterol was high (nothing new). It said if you have one of these factors a mosquito can smell you up to 50 yards away.

My DH can be outside and never have one near him, they are always targeting me :)

My SIL and niece (who live in PR) have left PR and are staying with family in S Fla for the time being. Coincidence??

When we went to CR there was an epidemic of Dengue that had me scared...hospital was short of beds due to the virus..we were planning on ziplining in the jungle. I did wear long pants and sleeves and used bug spray, no problem. When I had the regular flu despite getting a flu shot I was sick for three weeks, ugh. We just got back from Jamaica last week and so far so good...fingers crossed there were no mosquitos at the Falls at noon.

The father of a friend of ours in Miami is at the point of death right now because of this recent virus.

I suppose it is like the flu - worse for older people.

Kathy

I'm sorry to hear this and pray he is kept comfortable as he continues to fight against this virus. {{{HUGS}}}

Columbia make a very lightweight long sleeve UPF50 shirt in various colors. Get one of those or something similar. I wore one on every excursion we took last year. They dry super fast so easy to wash one night and be ready the next day.

Then all you need is sunscreen on your neck/face and just spray the DEET on your hat, shirt and legs.

Thank you....I like this idea. My dad has vitilaigo (sp); skin pigment loss and wears those..will hunt for ladies version...:).

You guys have me scared now about this new virus, I got west nile 3 years ago and left my right leg paralizyed from it, was in hospital for 4 months. Please don't take this new virus lightly bring your deet.

Has me rethinking a big birthday cruise...wanted to take my second Caribbean one, maybe back to back and finally see lots of places..

Avoided the West Nile praise God here even thoguh I get a few bites every summer..this is sad...prayers for the people suffering and what you deal/dealt with.

Edited by sjn911

sjn 911, it's a bad virus and I try now to educate people and friends about how to prevent these viruses from a little bug to hurt you.Deet is no. 1 to have with you and if you ever get high fever, weakness in your legs, sentitive to light or any stiffness in muscles specially in your neck PLEASE get checked out. Because that was my symtons when I got west nile, and menijitis and swelling of the spinal cord from west nile. But never stop going cruising just take preventive precauctions.

sjn 911, it's a bad virus and I try now to educate people and friends about how to prevent these viruses from a little bug to hurt you.Deet is no. 1 to have with you and if you ever get high fever, weakness in your legs, sentitive to light or any stiffness in muscles specially in your neck PLEASE get checked out. Because that was my symtons when I got west nile, and menijitis and swelling of the spinal cord from west nile. But never stop going cruising just take preventive precauctions.

Thanks, I have chronic pain from surgery and car accident. So probably am overly concerned at the moment...but will investigate..thank you...Sarah

I'm sorry to hear this and pray he is kept comfortable as he continues to fight against this virus. {{{HUGS}}}

Thanks. His family has been called to be with him now. We are praying for him.

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

My office received a letter from the state about a month ago about the Lone Star Tick and the Chickunguyna Virus....This (Chickungyna) can be deadly. I am sure it is worse in those areas, but I practice in TN and we been issued warnings about it.

i see there is a lot of comparison to west nile , but that isn't the case with Chicku. West nile and triple e are very bad/ and could result in death but at the end of the day not to common or at the number where one can declare an epidemic.

Chicku is an epidemic and its sweeping tru the carib .. while we have a some case in us .. its full blown in some nations and the more people are infected the more the chance of getting bit by a carrier. In most cases its not deadly but u do get really high fever and joint pain it knocks you on your butt for a week

Something that makes Chickunguyna pretty cool is that an infected host (human with the virus), can actually infect a non-infected mosquito if bitten.

...aaaand what exactly is cool about that? :eek:

But yeah, I was wondering about that, and it only serves to further escalate the spread of Chickungunya.

...aaaand what exactly is cool about that? :eek:

But yeah, I was wondering about that, and it only serves to further escalate the spread of Chickungunya.

A friend of mine down here gets out of the hospital today after 6 days of excruciating pain and expects to be in bed another few weeks he is so weak.

Scary thing is that this past 5 days has been our islands Patronales (carnival) and we had an additional 1000 people on the island when we know we have it on the island.

Personally hubby and I stayed home.

I'm leaving on a cruise in a few weeks that will be visiting the Caribbean, and usually don't take OFF! or another product containing DEET. Someone in my family mentioned this last week, and I didn't have time to look it up, but looks like its something to be concerned about. She went ahead and ordered several boxes of the OFF! towelettes, which contain 25% DEET for those in our party. Thoughts and prayers to those who are suffering from ailments or conditions due to this outbreak.

• 1 month later...