Magic Sail Time

skipsmith

We are down to 3 weeks until our Magic cruise.

I have watched the sail out time on the web cam and it seems to be later now for some reason. Ship not leaving until well after 5pm. I guess it does not matter much.

Also noticed the pool was roped off and no one swimming... Guess there must be something wrong with the pool.

Seems like the past weeks have been flying by and the last 3 weeks for our cruise will probably seems like an eternity.

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Road construction on I-45 down here has delayed some bus transportation from the airports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know we had to plan a new route in Nov because of road construction. Thanks to that detour we now enjoy our drive much more...:)

Road construction on I-45 down here has delayed some bus transportation from the airports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What section of I-45 is under construction?

We are sailing the Magic in late August. Coming from San Antonio I was going to take I-10 to the Sam Houston Tollway to I-45 down to Galveston.

Maybe getting off on Hwy 6 and taking that south to Galveston would be a better route this year. A cross country route, but would avoid the tolls and inevitable slowdown near NASA.

What section of I-45 is under construction?

We are sailing the Magic in late August. Coming from San Antonio I was going to take I-10 to the Sam Houston Tollway to I-45 down to Galveston.

Maybe getting off on Hwy 6 and taking that south to Galveston would be a better route this year. A cross country route, but would avoid the tolls and inevitable slowdown near NASA.

Late August school will be back in session and the traffic headed South is not so bad. Also, you will be headed down on a Sunday morning, and the traffic is minimal. Plan on taking the toll road (Beltway 8) around the city and then connect with I-45. From the Seguin exit (607) on I-10 to the cruise terminal took our daughter 4 hours on 3 cruises she went with on during her college career.

We spend our Sunday's after mass around the Clear Lake area and then often head to Galveston for the day. Traffic usually slows right after the beltway and then opens up after NASA Parkway. Then it's wide open.

Be sure to exit Harborside Drive.

Enjoy the vacation!

Edited by BallFour4

Late August school will be back in session and the traffic headed South is not so bad. Also, you will be headed down on a Sunday morning, and the traffic is minimal. Plan on taking the toll road (Beltway 8) around the city and then connect with I-45. From the Seguin exit (607) on I-10 to the cruise terminal took our daughter 4 hours on 3 cruises she went with on during her college career.

We spend our Sunday's after mass around the Clear Lake area and then often head to Galveston for the day. Traffic usually slows right after the beltway and then opens up after NASA Parkway. Then it's wide open.

Be sure to exit Harborside Drive.

Enjoy the vacation!

Yeah I have always used that 10/Beltway/45 route to go to the port in the past. Your daughter must drive conservatively. Even with 2 stops, we get to the parking garage in just over 4 hours...and it takes us a good 25 minutes to get to on I-10 in Seguin.

I guess I was really looking for the location of the construction that was mentioned.

Skip....we will see you onboard! I don't know if you have found our lively fb group! I don't know of any construction and was just down last wk. I will try to find out and update!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by dawnjam1

We are driving in from Dallas on the 16th, staying in Webster overnight for our 17th Magic cruise. I have always wanted to try the bypass around Houston but always seem to miss it. Should we take the toll road (I think it's Sam Houston) or the loop around? Or just plan on driving straight through? We are leaving around 9, with a stop for lunch, so should hit Houston around 1-2. What about roads between Webster and Galveston? There was some construction when we were down that way in early March.

Just a heads up, they have been working on redoing exit ramps south of Nasa Rd 1 (south of the beltway) on the League City & Dickinson exits. Last night they closed my exit (FM 646) and had 45 southbound closed down to 2 lanes instead of the normal 3 and the southbound feeder road down to 1 lane.

Traffic was backed up from Bay Area Blvd (before Nasa and where traffic usually opens up). It took them over a month to redo the exit ramp on 96 (the exit before FM 646) so i anticipate it will take at least that long for my exit at FM 646.

After you get past FM 517 you should be good to go.

In regards to the South Sam Houston Tollway, its really nice since they widened it. I can get from my office at Westheimer (just south of i-10) and the Beltway all the way to 45 Gulf southbound in 35-45 minutes most week days. Traffic rarely gets backed up unless there is a wreck. On the weekends the beltway is a breeze. No major construction to slow you down.

Edited by DobberDog