Cruising with 4 year old...help please!

SE NC

I have not read all the posts, but IMO if the kid cannot comprehend the gravity of the phrase "If you fall overboard you will die", then the kid is too young to be on a cruise.

We did not take our first cruise until our youngest was 12 years old. Plenty of other vacation alternatives better suited to a kid that young.

Edited by Badfinger

I did read all and see we have made it to the don't bring kids until they understand death is permanent part (risk of going overboard).

ITA each child is unique and daycare kids may have an advantage being used to group care. Our twins were at home with me and one had severe separation anxiety while the other one would go and stay with anyone anywhere.

ITA to bring familiar items, specifically a lovey blanket or pillow for bedtime, a cup if one is used at home, and an electronic device with books and games and a headset. Children cannot sit for two hours for brunch and dinner if they have never done so at home and it's inconceivable to expect that at sea.

Plan on spending most of the first evening at camp getting the child used to it...this is not necessary after a few cruises usually.

Plan which activities the child will do together and tell the child exactly after which activity you will come back. Don't be late :-)

And if your child loves wii like ours does, let him have wii. It's his vacation, too, after all.

We have cruised with the children since they were 2 and have made many great memories...glad they are not in pack n plays anymore! Enjoy your time together.

We sailed with our 4 and 6 year old grandsons. They went to Camp Carnival in the mornings and stayed until lunch. We picked them up, had lunch, and they spent the sea day afternoons with us at the pool. They usually ended up napping around 4pm as they were so worn out. We had early dinner and then took them back to Camp Carnival at 7pm. They begged to go because the counselors got them so excited about the upcoming activities. A few nights they begged to stay for night owls and we gladly obliged. They had a great time.

Edited by DebJ14

We cruised with our 4 year old daughter in April. She had a blast and enjoyed the whole thing. She loved camp carnival. She loved the shows. She loved the buffet. She loved the beach in Nassau. She loved disney in Florida. She had a blast.

Camp carnival is wonderful. The counselors are wonderful. The kids have a blast and like others of said she begged to stay! She went to night owls twice too for PJ movie parties.

We will be cruising with our one year old son next August. He was booked on the cruise before he was even born! Might be a little tougher with a baby but we think for a family vacation a cruise is perfect. On the boat You Are Never More Than A Few Minutes From Your room. The boats are secure and safe. I didn't see a single thing happen on the ship that I felt uncomfortable having children around. 99% of the activities are family friendly and everyone can enjoy

Edited by aaron3219

They can play with small toys and read books at home too, what is your point? I don't understand why you would even come on here just to make that comment.

Small toys and books are always a good idea, but what's the point of going on a cruise if the kids are just watching videos on the Ipad? They could do that at home.

They can play with small toys and read books at home too, what is your point? I don't understand why you would even come on here just to make that comment.

Haha I agree completely with you. I can also lay on a lounge outside by a pool at my house and read books on my kindle. Maybe I should stop cruising then.

Also I agree my with one above. If your child isn't used to sit down dinners, playing with other kids and entertaining themselves to a degree it would be tough.

Our girl is an excellent mixer with a groups of kids. She loves making new friends and trying new activities. She I also made to sit down with the family at dinner and stay seated until we are all done. If she is done first she waits till we are all done and the same rule goes for all of us.

I would think he would love the kids club. My sons both enjoyed them. You can have him attend as much or as little as you would like. Our problem was getting out younger to leave! He loved it. We still had a lot of family time with the various ports and the other activities we did together.

Just back from an Alaskan Cruise with my three grandsons and my daughter. Boys are aged 10, 4 and 15 months. They all loved the cruise and the 4 year old asks almost every day if we are going back on "the boat" soon!!

Take your grandson and have a great time!

I am sure there are some that do, but on the Magic that wasn't the case. It was very much checking kids in and out and the counselors didn't do anything to engage our son to make him feel welcome or excited.

That was my problem is that I just knew he would go before we went and it had never crossed my mind that he might not go.

I had a fairly similar experience last year. DD was a little over 2 and it was the first time she was old enough for camp. I envisioned her spending time in camp and a couple of evenings alone with DH and that was not the case. She did go a few times, but there were several times they called us and said she was crying. I don't think they even really tried to get her calmed down or engaged. Not that I am saying that they should have, just that they did not.

I am hoping this time will be better, now that she is 3 1/2.

Exactly :)

I raised two without electronics but they are all around us now and my 4 year old sometimes plays apps and watches cartoons on Netflix. I don't allow these gadgets at the dinner table at home but did have the kindle handy when we went out to dinner the other night because it kept him quiet and entertained. I didn't want him to be disruptive to other patrons and it worked. I really try to make it a last resort.

We work very hard on dinner manners at home but my sweet little boy is a bit Dennis the Menace :) It is still a work in progress.

Haha I agree completely with you. I can also lay on a lounge outside by a pool at my house and read books on my kindle. Maybe I should stop cruising then.

Also I agree my with one above. If your child isn't used to sit down dinners, playing with other kids and entertaining themselves to a degree it would be tough.

Our girl is an excellent mixer with a groups of kids. She loves making new friends and trying new activities. She I also made to sit down with the family at dinner and stay seated until we are all done. If she is done first she waits till we are all done and the same rule goes for all of us.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be...especially when spouses need alone time too. In my experience I really felt the counselor's could have been more personable and made things sound exciting but unfortunately that didn't happen. And honestly their job is easier if there are less children there....

I'm sure others have had different experiences than we had and that is great, just sharing my story.

I hope your experience is better this time around!

I had a fairly similar experience last year. DD was a little over 2 and it was the first time she was old enough for camp. I envisioned her spending time in camp and a couple of evenings alone with DH and that was not the case. She did go a few times, but there were several times they called us and said she was crying. I don't think they even really tried to get her calmed down or engaged. Not that I am saying that they should have, just that they did not.

I am hoping this time will be better, now that she is 3 1/2.

Our DS went on his first cruise when he was 5 and loved the kid's club. He next cruised when he was 9 and hated the kid's club but loved making friends at the game arcade and hanging out with them. At 14 he loved the teen club and now at 19 he loves cruising as an adult. Each kid is different so take that into consideration. I don't think 4 years old is too young to cruise but you should be prepared to spend lots of time with him if he doesn't take a shine to the kid's club. It's all about your expectations.

I hope you and your grandson have a great cruise if you decide to take him.:D

Don't be afraid to initially force a child to spend time in the club. Many who are initially reluctant to enter end up having a great time.

Socializing in that environment is healthy, and sometimes it makes sense to make kids do something even if they don't want to.