Coco Reef Resort vs Horseshoe Bay

dorito6778

WIll be there next week during the Cricket Cup match thing. Horsehoe on Wednesday is sure to be busy since the beach is a beach party thurs and fri, right?

I know Coco will be quieter, but also more $.

Horseshoe has chairs and umbrellas, right? How much?

What say the cruise critics?

We have 3 days and we arent looking to shop or shlep around much. This trip is all about putting our feet up and relaxing as much as we can.

WIll be there next week during the Cricket Cup match thing. Horsehoe on Wednesday is sure to be busy since the beach is a beach party thurs and fri, right?

We have 3 days and we arent looking to shop or shlep around much. This trip is all about putting our feet up and relaxing as much as we can.

Well it's like $11 for each chair and umbrella. So if you get 2 each that is $44. For an extra $16, you get to use their beach, pool and you get lunch with either a glass of wine or a beer.

I am doing Coco Reef on my September Breakaway cruise. Been there before and had a great time.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by wasiii

if we do 2 chairs and 2 umbrellas (would prob just do one umbrella, but i'll add in 2 for equal comparison) thats $44, plus lunch, call it $25. thats $69 for 2 people. and its $59pp for 2 at coco, so thats $118. i want to make sure its worth nearly twice the price for a better lunch, quieter beach, and pool access. is coco maintained well? i read some mixed reviews and dont want to pay through the nose for half-a$$ed place.

Edited by dorito6778

We never went to Coco Reef.

We did go to Horseshoe Bay Beach last July 9th.

Chair and umbrellas rentals were $11 each, plus a $5 each that you got back when returning them. They must be back by 5:00.

It was by far the most beautiful beach we've been to and that's saying a lot.

Take a walk to the left and visit all the coves and beaches to end up at Warwick Long Bay Beach and back.

Go there. It was perfect.

Have fun!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

This is why I would run to CoCo Reef :

"as per bermuda-online.org : It is a very busy time for camping and picnicking at public (Government) parks or beaches or both. The designated campgrounds are Ferry Point, Coney Island and Chaplin Bay but all public parks and beaches are liable to be invaded by persons pitching tents from two days beforehand and until the Sunday evening after Cup Match. It can be very disconcerting for tourists who hope in vain for deserted public beaches and who are not used to seeing campers pitching tents so close to public beaches. They simply would not be allowed in their own countries. Nor would the trash so many locals leave near their tents )

Have fun !

We were in Bermuda last year during Cup Match. We did a private tour on Wednesday. On Thursday morning, we took a taxi to Warwick Long Bay and walked the trails back to Horseshoe Bay, stopping at various coves and beaches along the way.

There were lots of campers and tents set up everywhere. It was fun, something you would never see in the US. Horseshoe was wall-to-wall people, but walk a bit and you had a nearly private beach. In the photo below, if you look between the rocks, you can see the sea of umbrellas on Horseshoe Bay. We didn't rent anything, so I don't know prices. We had lunch (about $15pp for burger and soft drink) and used the facilities.

IMG_4944.JPG

Here's a closer one. Still very un-crowded where we were.

IMG_4947.JPG

We took a taxi back from Horseshoe Bay to the ship. I think it was around $40.

I tried to book us at Coco Reef because I was worried about the crowds, but they weren't taking any more reservations. In the end, I'm glad it worked out the way it did because we had a fantastic day.

Last year, Cup Match was in St. Georges, so we didn't see much traffic, but this year it is in Somerset. I would plan on buses being rare and full!

Wear red and blue (Somerset colors) or dark and light blue (St. George's colors) and lots of people will start conversations with you. We knew nothing about cricket, but still had fun talking about it.

We were in Bermuda last week aboard the Celebrity Summit and reserved day passes at the Coco Reef Resort before leaving home. Everything worked out great and we really enjoyed our day there.

We planned our visit for our second day in Bermuda and left around 9:00 AM on the ferry to Hamilton. We had a transportation pass, but when we exited the ferry on Front Street, we just grabbed a cab and ditched the No. 7 bus; it was a quick trip!

Everyone we encountered at the resort was very nice. When we checked in and paid at the front desk, they inquired as to how many towels we would like and gave us our vouchers for the lunches that came with our day passes. They gave us a general layout of the property and out we went.

We opted to sun at an area adjacent to the resort pool, but did go down to the beach more than once to walk around and enjoy the beautiful water and sand. The beach area directly behind the resort has lots of rocks, but if you walk towards the right side as you go down the steps, there is lots of smooth beach with the pretty pink sand. The only drawback I have concerns the condition of the steps. We did not feel unsafe walking down them, but both agreed that they should probably be rehabilitated after this season; they were a little creaky in places!

Just a great afternoon there and the lunch was good too. You could get a beer or wine, and then get your main course, while choosing if you preferred an appetizer or dessert. The fish chowder appetizer was really tasty... and they mixed a mean rum swizzle.

They have a gentleman on a golf cart that took us, and another couple also from our cruise ship, back to the bus stop... which is a little piece up the access road that the college and resort share. We caught the No. 7 bus to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and then walked up to the lighthouse to enjoy the views and explore there. Afterwards, we walked back down to the Henry VIII Pub and enjoyed refreshments before grabbing the bus back to the Royal Naval Dockyard, where the Celebrity Summit was docked.

Enjoy!