Rock of Ages with 5 year old

DipBrat

I'm not so sure I could agree that a 5 year old child understands the concept of "context" to the degree that they would understand that an adult in one circumstance performing simulated sex in front of them is acceptable and yet in another would be totally inappropriate.

Especially since there are some adults here who can't/won't see the difference.

These are probably the same "well-rounded" kids we all see running up and down the halls at all hours or hanging out in the elevators pressing all of the buttons. That is, assuming they aren't jumping in and out of the adult hot tubs on the lido deck...:rolleyes:

When you let a 5 year old child hear vulgar language and watch simulated sex acts, just how/where do you draw the line on what is considered appropriate???

I agree that the analogy is completely off-base because context is incredibly relevant. Another poster said something about (and I paraphrase): you're free to screw up your kid as you please.

1. Taking your kid to a show that features sexually inspired content is no way comparable to a creepy adult in a park "simulating" sexual acts. The idea that it is is totally preposterous.

2. Taking your young child to a Broadway show is the opposite of "screwing her up." It's opening her world to art, entertainment and culture.

Take her! Enjoy it! If she gets bored, leave early.

I have a 5-year-old son, and I wouldn't think twice about taking him to this show if I thought he'd enjoy it (his R-rated experiences lean more to the LOTR style entertainment). These experiences will only make our children more well-rounded.

Have you seen Rock of Ages? The production show, not the film. It's far more R rated than Lord of the Rings. Which is PG13 if I'm not mistaken.

My son absolutely adores musicals, stage plays, concerts, etc., and we have always exposed him to multiple forms of the arts. He is a performer himself. Despite this, given the choice, he wanted to be in the kids club hands down before he wanted to sit through a show with us. Because even he realizes that he's still just a kid first.

I'm not so sure I could agree that a 5 year old child understands the concept of "context" to the degree that they would understand that an adult in one circumstance performing simulated sex in front of them is acceptable and yet in another would be totally inappropriate.

Especially since there are some adults here who can't/won't see the difference.

These are probably the same "well-rounded" kids we all see running up and down the halls at all hours or hanging out in the elevators pressing all of the buttons. That is, assuming they aren't jumping in and out of the adult hot tubs on the lido deck...:rolleyes:

When you let a 5 year old child hear vulgar language and watch simulated sex acts, just how/where do you draw the line on what is considered appropriate???

I didn’t think it needed to be said but the context is one is threatening and aggressive and the other is a professional stage show probably at least 50 feet away. It is not the 5 year old that needs to understand it but the parents.

_____

I am not sure the link between wanting to expose a child to a cultural experience and letting them run wild on the ship. I would think they are actually negatively correlated myself.

I know from other posts that RoA is not recommended for kids due to language and simulated sex. That said unless it is violent I am not too worried and I don’t think a 5 year old will notice the language or simulated sex and she loves Broadway shows so I am inclined to bring her. Would she be allowed entry?

Yes they will let her in. You are the parent, you decide.

I didn’t think it needed to be said but the context is one is threatening and aggressive and the other is a professional stage show probably at least 50 feet away. It is not the 5 year old that needs to understand it but the parents.

_____

I am not sure the link between wanting to expose a child to a cultural experience and letting them run wild on the ship. I would think they are actually negatively correlated myself.

Wow! You really took that to the extreme, huh? :eek::rolleyes:

Where does "threatening and agressive" come into play. PLEASE go back and re-read the original question...I asked about someone using te language "from the show" and performing the simulated sex acts "from the show". The words "threatening and agressive" were never used.

BTW...It certainly would be on the 5 year old to understand the contextual differences...if they don't, they'd never understand which one is OK and which one is not...and why. If they can't tell the difference, then they definately should not witness the performance.

Basically I asked what your reaction would be to a public performace "from the show" (those are the key words). Somehow, you've equated a public performance of Rock of Ages with being "threatening and agressive". :confused:

Where does "threatening and agressive" come into play. PLEASE go back and re-read the original question...I asked about someone using te language "from the show" and performing the simulated sex acts "from the show". The words "threatening and agressive" were never used.

A stranger approaching a child in the park is where the OP got the idea of "threatening and aggressive". I too would find that threatening and aggressive, whether the stanger in question was singing something from Rock of Ages or something from Snow White.

Imagine that you are at a local park with a 5 year old child and another adult approachss the child and proceeds to use the "language" from the show in front on the child and then performs the "simulated sex" acts from the show in front of the child.

Approaching the child is threatening and aggressive. Perhaps the example would have been more apt if you had talked about coming across a group of adults singing the songs from the musical while walking in the park with your child, but that doesn't quite provoke the same parent-shaming, does it?

OP, I don't really have much of an opinion on the matter, although I would recommend that if there is a possibility your 5 year old will get bored, which would be understandable in a 5 year old, you might want to sit near the back to disturb as few people as possible in the event that you leave.

I'm curious to know how many who are advocating bringing children to RoA have actually seen the show. This is not a "cultural" experience. It's fun as can be for those of us who lived and loved 80s Hair Band music...but the humor and innuendo is wholly inappropriate for children. Want to take your middle schoolers and pre-teens? Fine. But elementary school kids and younger? Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm curious to know how many who are advocating bringing children to RoA have actually seen the show. This is not a "cultural" experience. It's fun as can be for those of us who lived and loved 80s Hair Band music...but the humor and innuendo is wholly inappropriate for children. Want to take your middle schoolers and pre-teens? Fine. But elementary school kids and younger? Smh.

Agree. However:

This show was really bad. If I could have left without insulting the talented cast I would have. It is no show for a 5 yr old. But on the bright side she will learn that not all Broadway shows are good. And she will most likely fall asleep and miss the distasteful parts.

If you want to take her to an age inappropriate, good play with adult themes, take her to kinky boots- very excellent.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Agree. However:

This show was really bad. If I could have left without insulting the talented cast I would have. It is no show for a 5 yr old. But on the bright side she will learn that not all Broadway shows are good. And she will most likely fall asleep and miss the distasteful parts.

If you want to take her to an age inappropriate, good play with adult themes, take her to kinky boots- very excellent.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

It's a ton of fun, but it's no Les Miserables that's for sure.

I know from other posts that RoA is not recommended for kids due to language and simulated sex. That said unless it is violent I am not too worried and I don’t think a 5 year old will notice the language or simulated sex and she loves Broadway shows so I am inclined to bring her. Would she be allowed entry?

OP, no, no, NO!! Do not take your 5 yo to the show, period.

5 year-olds are visual and very sharp hearing wise. They will pick up. When they see or hear something that they take interest they will copy ....

When it is said it's an adult show, then do not take your 5 yo to one.

---> off the soap box.

There are plenty of other things on the ship for your 5 yo to enjoy. Are you planning on taking your 5 yo to the Kids club?

I am not going to comment on whether or not you should or should not take your five year old to see ROA. It is none of my business how you raise your child or what you choose to expose her to. Your choice.

I only hope you are not seated in front of me, behind me or next to me during the performance, when your five year old gets tired, cranky or bored with being in a theater seat for an hour and a half.

They list the show as an ADULT show for a reason. Some of us don't appreciate being disturbed and disrupted during an adult performance. That being said, I do hope you and your family enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time, regardless of what you decide.

J

The Emcee of the show (best character in the cast!) comes right out in the beginning and says.. "for all you kids 12 and under, you should leave now, and take your awful parents with you."

Enough said :rolleyes:

However.. I didn't care for it myself - not because of language or content; I had the tallest, biggest headed man EVER sitting RIGHT in front of me. I had to constantly lean left and right for 90 minutes, while sitting on the most uncomfortable seat ever. And no... there was no where to move, or change seats. That made 90 minutes seem like hours - it was torture set to an 80s soundtrack. :cool:

Edited by VickiD59

[quote name='babyher']Well thank God for that. That show put me to sleep faster than Chloroform[/QUOTE]

Haha. LM is my favorite musical, that said I enjoyed RoA for very different reasons. The two shows are only similar in that they're performed on stage. :)