Side trip to Belfast?

bbwex

We will be in Dublin and am wondering if there is much to do in Belfast. This will be at the end of our trip, so there is no requirement to get back at any specific time, and we can stay overnight if need be. At the same time, several people have suggested that we totally skip Belfast. Any thoughts from anyone?

We did a political/mural city tour in Belfast, it was quite fascinating (to be honest, I thought it was all in the history books, and it's still very real there). My husband absolutely loved it.

also don't miss the beautiful Titanic museum--it's truly an experience. We spent several hours there one afternoon in Belfast. The HOHO bus is a great way to see Belfast and get the historical information on the "troubles" and see the murals. We only had one day in Belfast and wished we had had more time. it's a very easy trip from Dublin by train or bus.

Definitely the Titanic Museum is worth a visit. Allow minimum 3 hours to see it.

Otherwise I would suggest a trip to the Antrim Coast (Bushmills, Giants Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge.)

The Antrim coastal drive and the Giant's causeway is what I bring my friends to see. Great day. We try to avoid driving in Belfast altogether, staying outside and getting the bus in to see the Titanic exhibition.

The Antrim coastal drive and the Giant's causeway is what I bring my friends to see. Great day. We try to avoid driving in Belfast altogether, staying outside and getting the bus in to see the Titanic exhibition.

I'm just back from a British Isles cruise on Princess. We had a stop in Belfast. A small group of us had a minivan with driver to take us around. Most of our day was spent at the Antrim coast. It was so, so beautiful. We stopped at a park, at the Causeway, at the Rope Bridge, and Dunlace castle. Even my teenage son, who doesn't impress easily, was wowed by the scenery. I would say the rope bridge and the cliffs around it were my favorite.

We also drove around Belfast, saw all parts of the city, from the peace wall to the more upscale areas. It was interesting to see. But I thought it was a very sad place. To see how the conflict has torn the city apart. Our driver kept commenting how this block was Catholic, the next block Protestant - over and over again. He couldn't look at the city any other way.

By the time we drove by the Titanic museum it was closed. It's a very cool looking building, and we saw the shipyard she was built in.

So I'll second the recommendation. If I had only seen Belfast, I would have been disappointed. But seeing the Antrim coast was something that will bring me joy for a long time.

We'll be in Belfast on our cruise. We plan to see the Nomadic, which was the tender for the Titanic and other White Star Line ships. She was mostly in Cherbourg, but got abandoned. The City of Belfast bought her and they now give tours. Since we're there anyway, we booked tickets online. Their webite is: nomadicbelfast.com

I'm just back from a British Isles cruise on Princess. We had a stop in Belfast. A small group of us had a minivan with driver to take us around. Most of our day was spent at the Antrim coast. It was so, so beautiful. We stopped at a park, at the Causeway, at the Rope Bridge, and Dunlace castle. Even my teenage son, who doesn't impress easily, was wowed by the scenery. I would say the rope bridge and the cliffs around it were my favorite.

We also drove around Belfast, saw all parts of the city, from the peace wall to the more upscale areas. It was interesting to see. But I thought it was a very sad place. To see how the conflict has torn the city apart. Our driver kept commenting how this block was Catholic, the next block Protestant - over and over again. He couldn't look at the city any other way.

By the time we drove by the Titanic museum it was closed. It's a very cool looking building, and we saw the shipyard she was built in.

So I'll second the recommendation. If I had only seen Belfast, I would have been disappointed. But seeing the Antrim coast was something that will bring me joy for a long time.

Actually, for me seeing the city streets of Belfast that I had previously seen only on TV news, was particularly moving. Yes, it is a sad place but that's because it was a war zone not too long ago and allegiances are still strong. IMO, you can see beautiful scenery anywhere, but to "step into" history is one of the reasons why I travel.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. It appears that we need to add a trip to Belfast.

Last year we did a one day RailTour from Dublin to Belfast and the Antrim Coast. We found it a very good way to see this part of Northern Ireland without having to spend a night there.

The tour guide meets you at Dublin's main train station (O'Connell St I think) and you travel by train to Belfast. There you join a bus tour of the Antrim Coast including the Giant's Causeway and the Rope Bridge.

Our guide called up a taxi for us while on the way back to Dublin and it was waiting at a side entrance to the station.

It was a bit of a tiring day but much easier than packing up and moving to another hotel.

We were very happy with the organisation of this tour and with our guide.

http://www.railtoursireland.com/

I live in Belfast. It is definitely worth a trip and things are much cheaper than they are in Dublin due to the poor Euro rate at the moment.

Most people nowadays don't look at the catholic / Protestant side of things - some do and feel their culture is threatened. For the most of us, it's a very happy and amazing place to live, and surprisingly more safe due to our policing in comparison knife gangs that you get in other cities. Please don't be scared to drive around we are not monsters!

If you are coming to Belfast there is so much to do.

If you want to stay in the Belfast area then I would recommend the Titanic Museum, City Centre and a HoHo. The HoHo will give you an overview of important historical things - don't do it if you don't want to know the politics.

Just outside of Belfast, there is Carrickfergus Castle. It's 10miles and easily accessible by train or bus.

You also can't really visit Northern Ireland without going to the North Coast. Here I would recommend - Dunluce Castle, the Giants Causeway and Carrick-a-Reed rope bridge. Up that direction is also Bushmills Distillery which you can do a tour of.

There are plenty of reasonable places to stay, there is a Premier Inn in the Titanic Quarter which is only a 10min walk from either central train station or city centre - you need to pay for parking there though.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be in Belfast on our cruise. We plan to see the Nomadic, which was the tender for the Titanic and other White Star Line ships. She was mostly in Cherbourg, but got abandoned. The City of Belfast bought her and they now give tours. Since we're there anyway, we booked tickets online. Their webite is: nomadicbelfast.com

The Nomadic is right beside the Titanic Museum.

If you're doing the Antrim coastline drive and are a fairly confident driver, you must do the Torr Head drive - unbelievable. The bus tours won't be able to do it, so narrow and steep is the road, but well worth doing. Such a beautiful part of the world.

Closer to Belfast the Walled garden (and Tea Rooms!) at Glenarm Castle is a lovely stop. Was just there this week.

http://www.glenarmcastle.com/walled-garden.aspx

Edited by newgrange
added URL

Hi,

We are stopping in Belfast for the day on August 7, 2014 aboard the Ruby Princess. How far is the port from the city centre in Belfast? Is it walkable?

We are considering the HoHo bus to see Dublin for the first time?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Hey, yes it is walkable - about a 15 minute easy walk to the town centre. Usually they have some shuttles available at the pier (sometimes these are even free).

The HoHo in Belfast is great if you want to see a snapshot of everything. You will dock facing the Titanic Museum too. The City Hall also runs free tours- just call in and ask.

Hey, yes it is walkable - about a 15 minute easy walk to the town centre. Usually they have some shuttles available at the pier (sometimes these are even free).

The HoHo in Belfast is great if you want to see a snapshot of everything. You will dock facing the Titanic Museum too. The City Hall also runs free tours- just call in and ask.

Thanks Bubblesqueaker. Can you purchase the HoHo when you get there (i.e. at the first stop)?

Yes, there are a few different ones who all offer the same thing. Hope you have a fab time in our city. :-)

Thanks again…looking forward to our day in Belfast!

I second, third and forth everything Bubblesqueaker has said! Please come to Belfast! I LOVE living here, we are all very welcoming :) Belfast is buzzing with tourists everyday!

Stay overnight and hit the town, experience the hospitality in the restaurants and bars.

The North Antrim coast is my fav place, if you have the time - it is a must see :D

I will wave to you all as you sail into Belfast, my office overlooks the docks, I love seeing all the different ships docking :)