Captain Bob (Soualiga) or Captain Mike (Robinson)

Can't decide which one to take for our group of 15, both same price, both will be a private tour. HELP!!!

I just booked with Captain Mike for January. Both companies have excellent reviews (Capt Bob has more reviews). I can't say anything in particular caused me to choose one over the other. However, I will say that Robinson's was very easy to book on line, and Capt Mike e-mailed me right away with directions, and asked that I email him back to confirm I understood. I did, and he immediately followed-up with me. So, I will say I've been happy with Capt Mike in the booking process. That being said, I'm sure either company is great! Everyone seems to have a blast on these tours. We are really looking forward to it. Good luck, I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of which company you select.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruisin' Cats

I can only answer for capt bob. I dud the tour last year when I was staying on the island. I'll be in st marteen again in aug (allure) and I'm going on the tour again and taking the "kids" 21, 20, 14

Guess that's my answer, since I'm going again, yes highly recommend this

• 3 weeks later...
Can't decide which one to take for our group of 15, both same price, both will be a private tour. HELP!!!

I keep going back and forth between these two tours as well! I have read a ton of reviews on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor for both companies and it looks like the itineraries are the same. Can anyone tell me how many people are on the boat for each of these tours? The smaller, the better, so maybe that will be the deciding factor if they book a different number of guests on their boats? Also, has anyone had a bad experience with either of these tours??? I have only read positive reviews, so just wondering if anyone has any criticism to offer that would make me book Captain Mike vs. Captain Bob (or vice versa!!) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just put a deposit down for Oct 7th tour with Capt. Bob, we are really looking forward to this 6 hour tour around St. Maartin. Reviews for this tour sound great, as well as Youtube videos. The boats carry 10 to 16 passengers. They travel to the French Natural Reserve and they are limited to a maximum of 18 people per boat.

Edited by rbiz
more info

We booked with Robinson's Speed Boat Tours and participated in his tour in August. My family had an awesome day with Captain Mike. Right from our initial contact we were impressed by Captain Mike’s customer service, wit and quick responses to our emails.

It was an easy walk from the cruise terminal to Chesterfield Marina where we were greeted by Captain Mike. His three engine speedboat, the DayDreamer 7 was in pristine condition and was even equipped with fresh water showers!

For $109/person, we experienced a thrilling boating adventure from riding the waves in the open sea to enjoying exotic getaways to remote places and islands for swimming and snorkelling. Off the shores of Maho Beach we witnessed the excitement of a Boeing 747 fly 20 feet over our heads before partaking in an exhilarating speedboat race back to the Marina!

With a cooler stocked with bottled water, beer and soft drinks, a delicious hot lunch on Pinel Island, a free ice-cream at the end of the day and a Captain that is friendly, informative, attentive and entertaining, this boating adventure pleased us all!

We had a wonderful day with Robinson and would highly recommend them. We did see Captain Bob in his speedboat throughout the tour, raced with him back to the Marina and met him in the ice-cream shop where he was picking up an ice-cream for someone in his party. I also saw him assisting those who couldn't make the walk back to the cruise terminal to a taxi. Captain Bob appeared to be very friendly, caring and attentive and I am sure you would have a positive and exciting experience with either one. The tours are basically the same. I think the only difference is the place where they stop for their beach lunch. Captain Mike stops at Pinel Island whereas Captain Bob stops at Grand Case.

I have written a Pictorial Review of our adventures with Robinson Speed Boat Tours. You can read all about our day by clicking on the Cruise Critic link below. My pictorial review begins at post #28.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43989080&posted=1#post43989080

P.S. We had 17-18 people onboard the boat which is also the max. boat capacity. The boat did not feel crowded and seated us all comfortably.

If anyone has any further questions, just ask!

Edited by dz63

To (dz63)..... The places u snorkeled at....were the waters deep? My sis is not a great swimmer and have never snorkeled. Do they have noodles/floaties for her?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the places we snorkelled at was in deep water, however pool noodles were available. At Tintamarre Island you can swim over to the beach and explore the island as well.

Do either of the tour boats have a bath room for ladies?? Many thanks. John F

The DayDreamer7 from Robinson's did not have a bathroom onboard. Next to the sea, the only bathroom facilities were located on Pinel Island.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only answer for Capt. Bob and Brett (his son) it was the BEST tour of our entire cruise!!!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED it!! Seeing St Maarten from the water is the ONLY wat to see St Maarten in my opinion!! Swam with sea turtles, chassed jets flying into MOHO beach, snorkeled with beautiful fish, swam in crystal azul waters!!! I can't speak enough of Bob Cass tours!! And 900 horse power on the back of their boats is amazing!!!!

Just booked with Captain Bob for our main excursion on our upcoming cruise - SO EXCITED. We love to Snorkel but have never been to Saint Maarten and wanted to see some of the island so were thrilled to find something with a little of everything thrown in. The beer and soft drinks/water on the boat are also a nice touch.

Can not say enough good about captain bob tours the day was the very best excursion. Brett was very professional but friendly and informative at t g e same time. Got to swim/snorkel with sea turtles, fish a barracuda I could go on and on. Our lunch was delusions. Let me say if you are torn to do yourself a favor and GO WITH BOB CASS TOURS you will not be disappointed!!!

We had an outstanding tour the first week of October with Bob's son Brett, and his fiance' Laura. Our day with Capt. Bob's crew was one of the highlights of our week, and they showed us an incredible day of snorkeling, site-seeing, swimming, along with the must-experience Maho Beach visit to see the big jets flying just over our heads en route to landing at the International Airport. Combine that with an outstanding lunch at an authentic Caribbean Creole Cafe, and 900 hp pushing Capt. Bob's new Scarab boat, and we had one heck of a day. Beverages were available all day, and we circled the entire island. We saw and experienced a lot, but the pace of the day was relaxed, and thoroughly enjoyable. We'll book with Captain Bob. Brett and Laura again in the future. They gave us a great day in the gorgeous water off St. Maarten.

Can someone give me the web site address. Doesn't come up when I google it

This is the website for Captain Bob

http://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

As for the choice between Mike and Bob....It really doesn't matter. They go to the same spots and most likely you will end up racing all the companies (there are more than just these 2) back to the pier from Maho.

We used Captain Bob Sept 2014, Capt Mike is at the same spot. While Talking with Brett (capt bobs son) he told us that they all work together and he actually contracts with mike to take passengers if his boats are full (he keeps a percentage).

With that said, I think you can safely book either of them. You will most likely end up on a boat with 10-14 people. The lunch is awesome and you have to try a Guavaberry Daiquiri.

On Pinal Island go up to where the Iguanas are when they get fed, it was amazing to see so many iguanas running down the hill to eat.

At lunch there is not much to see but if you snorkel out about 100 feet there are tons of large starfish and some conch.

Hope this helps a little

• 5 weeks later...

I can't compare the two, but I have just returned from St. Martin and would give a very strong recommendation for Capt. Bob. We arrived on the pier on a gorgeous day and were surprised to hear him say that weather conditions would affect our tour. He was very upfront about the fact that their preferred snorkeling location would be off limits that day, as well as much boating around the Atlantic side. He told us where they could safely take us, then mentioned a place or two they might try to get to if the seas (and all those on board) would allow it. He then offered a complete, unconditional refund to anyone who chose not to go. His son even called some other tour operators to see about the possibility for land tours for those who did not want to go out on the water.

My wife and I opted to take the "modified" tour and we had a ball. Yes, the one place that we did find to snorkel was not great. As promised, visibility was limited, but it was still fun. We visited three beaches, had a great lunch, raced a jet to the airport and raced other boats back to the dock. Our guide/boatman was knowledgeable, friendly, and - most of all - completely aware of everyone's comfort level at all times.

I was impressed with the importance given to the well-being of the passengers and the willingness to offer a refund unhesitatingly to anyone who wanted it. These are, obviously, indicative of a quality operation. It would have been easy to have said, "Weather's bad, tough luck, now enjoy your 3 hour tour. It's out of our control." Instead, we were given the option, and they filled the 6 hours with a great day for us.