Name that ship

Dgshooter

Had a blast on both the Holiday and the Elation out of Mobile, loved the port!!! really wish they would reopen it!! :) It was a much easier and nicer drive down from Southern Ontario than driving to Miami!!

New York and Baltimore are much closer..... (but I bet you knew that:D)

New York and Baltimore are much closer..... (but I bet you knew that:D)

LOL its funny you say that, I never think to look for cruises out of those ports :p How cold would it be to cruise from there in the winter?

The two we went out of Mobile, we only did because they were 5 day and under $200 pp :eek:

LOL its funny you say that, I never think to look for cruises out of those ports :p How cold would it be to cruise from there in the winter?

The two we went out of Mobile, we only did because they were 5 day and under $200 pp :eek:

Makes one wonder why they pulled out of Mobile...

Edited by Disconnections

Well, it might be just cool (or much worse). But that could be tempered as you live in the great white north. I personally would not sail from either in chilly months but have from both in warmer times. There were actually some reviews of both ports in Winter sailings which backed up your point. One was the Pride during a blizzard which sailed with a less than half full ship and there were some pics of room stewards shoveling off balconies. The 2nd was the Splendor this past year (BTW, they wont be sailing year round from New York anymore for this very topic, where she could not get close to the pier due to the ice build up. Nice pics from that which had a Titanic esque look to it.:cool:

I saw pictures that people posted here last winter of ice floating in the water as the ship was docking in NY. BBBRRR!! There's no way I'd cruise from a northern port in winter.

It's especially a good idea in winter though to fly to your embarkation port city a day early. Lots of flights get delayed in the winter due to weather, and you wouldn't want to risk missing the ship due to airline delays.

We sailed out of Baltimore in January the last 3 years and the first and last day was cool but the weather was great in between.

However, to be totally honest the cruises we took on RCI were better this time of year from Baltimore because they were longer and you had more warm, beautiful days because you went further into the caribbean. We even went swimming in the ports. The only reason we have stopped is because of the wind in the caribbean in January and that has nothing to do with where you sail from. They call it the "Christmas winds" and it is constant.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate sailing from Baltimore in the winter, if the price and itin were right!!! :D