Summit vs Valor April 2015

wendymac

Hi Everyone, we are trying to decide between the Carnival Valor vs Celebrity Summit next year - we have only sailed on Carnival so we would like to know what the major differences are between the two ships, there is a substantial price difference between the two cruises and would like to know if indeed the Celebrity cruise is worth the price difference? Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance for your help.:)

Hi Wendymac,we have been on both ships [last Aug on the Valor and this past April on Summit].We will not do Carnival again[even if they gave us a cruise].While the Valor is a very nice ship[and there are more things for children to do on board]the lack of service and lower quality of food compared to Celebrity Summit just don't make for a very enjoyable cruise.We where on the Valor for our first cruise but where traveling with a couple that are experienced cruisers.We thought all cruises had food, in the main dining room,that was really bad until our friends told us they would not be cruising Carnival again because of the food and service.We then went on the april 25 2014 relocate cruise of the Summit with the same couple and what a difference.We enjoyed it so much we're booked on her again april 18 2015 and can't wait. The clientele will be a bit older on Celebrity and, because of this ,a bit on the quieter side.They both go to much of the same ports[may be there at the same time.We where in April] I short we just decided that Celebrity is a better fit for us.Hope this helps.Arch5807

We were on one Carnival ship, the Miracle, and never again....

Our last cruise was on the Celebrity Summit, and it was outstanding! (For all the reasons the above poster mentioned.) Stand outs to us: A more refined dining experience, tons of high quality live music all around the ship, and very talented singers/dancers in the production shows. We've booked the Summit again for next month, and are looking into another Celebrity cruise for next summer.

Wendy this one is going to go all over the place with comments. :)

In a nutshell, on Celebrity you will not find the water slide crowd.

Other than that the diferrences will be suttle, but nothing that will make you jump out of your shoes. We have sailed 7 lines over the years and found Celebrity to have more of the 'suttle' differences we like. Ask 100 people and you will get 98 different answers.

Go and try the Summit, IMHO you will enjoy the product.

Here is a Summit review from a member with 10 cruises on Carnival;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037736

Edited by wallie5446

I should say we are all over 50 (with the exception of one youngin who is 40 lol) so it sure sounds like Celebrity would be a good fit for us, it is always good to get feedback from people who have been on both cruise lines. I really appreciate all your input and I am checking out that lengthy review on the summit that was posted.

Also is there really a big difference in the quality of the food on Celebrity?

What kind of shows do they have on Celebrity? Are there comedy shows or other types of shows other than musicals? I have to say the Entertainment on Carnival leaves something to be desired at times.

Edited by wendymac

Hi Wendymac,we have been on both ships [last Aug on the Valor and this past April on Summit].We will not do Carnival again[even if they gave us a cruise].While the Valor is a very nice ship[and there are more things for children to do on board]the lack of service and lower quality of food compared to Celebrity Summit just don't make for a very enjoyable cruise.We where on the Valor for our first cruise but where traveling with a couple that are experienced cruisers.We thought all cruises had food, in the main dining room,that was really bad until our friends told us they would not be cruising Carnival again because of the food and service.We then went on the april 25 2014 relocate cruise of the Summit with the same couple and what a difference.We enjoyed it so much we're booked on her again april 18 2015 and can't wait. The clientele will be a bit older on Celebrity and, because of this ,a bit on the quieter side.They both go to much of the same ports[may be there at the same time.We where in April] I short we just decided that Celebrity is a better fit for us.Hope this helps.Arch5807

We are thinking of booking the April 18th cruise next year, I love the ports, we have been to St Thomas and St Maarten before but the other ports will all be new. Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Food quality, humm, for us that is what has kept Celebrity as our line of choice since our 1st sailing with them in 1993. Has is changed, yes. Is it worse, the same, or better? Again, IMHO, it has maintained a standard that keeps us coming back.

The Sin City, adult :rolleyes: production, has great spots, then one that makes you scratch your head and go, what was that. But most all the musical stuff has a sameness to it no matter which line we are on anymore.

I agree with the post above about the sin city show.It is very funny but they could do away with the dancing girl.The comedians are the real thing thou.The food is far and away better than Carnival.We did not have anything that wasn't very good ,hot, and served by extra good waiters who took the time to make small talk and recommend dishes every night.The rest of the shows are pretty much run of the mill cruise fare.We are booked on the April 18 cruise with 3 other couples so far.We are all over 50 as well .While there are a lot of elderly on board there is also a lot around our age .

Edited by arch5807

Hi Everyone, we are trying to decide between the Carnival Valor vs Celebrity Summit next year - we have only sailed on Carnival so we would like to know what the major differences are between the two ships, there is a substantial price difference between the two cruises and would like to know if indeed the Celebrity cruise is worth the price difference? Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance for your help.:)

Hello,

We have sailed on both. IMO the Celebrity Ships are an upstep from Carnival. The food is better as is the entertainment. However Carnival has an excellent buffet. The ambiance around the Celebrity ships are less flashy and more conservative.

The crowd is also different. While we enjoyed our time on the Valor, it is to party for me.

If you want to party all night- Carnival is for you. If you want a more reserved cruise ship, Celebrity is the line to consider. One thing I truly disliked about the valor is the layout of the ship. It is long and narrow- not all of the decks go through. I remember having to go up and down stairs to walk through some decks to get to the other side of the ship. I also remember much more smoking on the Valor. We had to walk through a very smokey lounge to go to the computer room.

Just decide what works best for you. Neither ship is new- but I know Celebrity has kept up with the updating. I haven't sailed on Carnival in a few years so I am not sure if Carnival is doing the same.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We have sailed on the Carnival Valor about 5 years ago and have been on the Celebrity Summit 3 times over the past 3 years. We have also been on the Carnival Pride as well as several other Celebrity ships and even took an NCL cruise once. As others have said, I would say that Celebrity is a step un in food service and quality although I didn't starve by any means on Carnival. My son-in-law loves the chocolate melting cake on Carnival and says it is his all time favorite desert. The Celebrity ships are more conservative in their decorations and I found the shows to be comparable. You do have more hairy chest contests and drinking contests on Carnival but I don't miss those.

This is probably only me but there is one difference between the two lines that makes all the difference in the world to me. On Celebrity you will get one announcement a day - usually from the Captain either at noon or when you are leaving a port. On Carnival you get many, many announcements most of which are totally unnecessary. I just find Celebrity to be a more laid back relaxing experience.

We did the Valor a few years ago as a really inexpensive getaway. We usually sail in Celebrity.

I would never sail on the Valor or Carnival again as I found it to be really smoky smelling everywhere. I'm not sure if they allow smoking on their balconies still but at the time they did and we weren't able to use our balcony as the people upwind of us smoked nonstop and it was nonstop drift onto our balcony and suite if we even left the balcony door open.

With Carnival you also get a zillion announcements in every language imaginable. Celebrity rarely has announcements.

We've been on about half a dozen each Carnival and Celebrity cruises. We have been on both Valor and Summit.

In my opinion, the southern route is all about the ports. Six port days leave little time to enjoy the ship experience. For that reason, I'd consider going with Valor and using the savings for excursions.

However, Valor is my least favorite Carnival ship. It was very crowded feeling, though our experience was a summer cruise with many, many kids. Summit is the opposite, even during the summer.

In my opinion, the cabins and bedding on Carnival are much better than Summit. Entertainment again goes to Carnival. Food is pretty much even to me, but I don't really cruise for the food. If you're a dessert person, the edge goes to Carnival.

Is the price difference due to the "free" beverage package? If so, you might want to figure that into your decision. If you enjoy having cocktails a few times a day, the package is wonderful. Carnival has a drink package, but it includes only cocktails, not coffee, sodas and water.

Either way, you'll likely have a great time.

If it comes down to Carnival and Celebrity then there is no comparison. Celebrity is better across the board IMHO. I used to like Carnival in the mid to late 90's. I aged and Carnival changed. They are now the clear bottom of all cruise lines that I have cruised. It would take a lot to get me back on Carnival.

I've cruised on 2 Carnival cruises so far, one on the liberty and the other on the legend. My next cruise is booked on the summit.

I fully enjoyed both cruises. I suspect you post this question on the carnival board, you will get completely different answers. I bet they will say, you'll be boating with a bunch of old people.

This is what I've been told also from reading the message boards.

Carnival equals younger crowd.

Celebrity equals older crowd.

Watch any YouTube video and you can clearly see there's a difference in age group.

Carnival equals party boat.

Celebrity equals more relaxing boat.

Carnival equals a little bit more chaos.

Celebrity equals more organized.

Again, watch any YouTube video and it will show the difference in atmosphere.

Carnival equals smoking on your balcony.

Celebrity equals no smoking on your balcony.

I can't go into detail concerning the food on the celebrity. Although everything I've read says it's better than average.

The food on the carnival was average at best. I would compare carnivals food to a good local buffet, whether you're eating in the buffet or in the main dining room. So if you go with carnival with those expectations, it will definitely be met and you'll not be unsatisfied. To me any cruises is a good cruise, as long as I'm on it.

Happy cruising