Cruisers that drive the Klondike highway

cruisee<3

I just wanted to know how does the border crossing work when you drive the Klondike highway yourself?

A tour operator mentioned when you are with a bus, you just lift your passport up and they move on b.c of all the people on board, but when you drive they will ask you all these questions like when you normally pass the border.. I ask b.c my bf had a DUI that was dropped to wreckless driving, and didn't know if this process takes extremely long or is it pretty fast to go through ... Or they could not let him through. Has anyone have experience with this?

I have read online and called and it's pretty much up to the specific border patrol but we haven't tried since

When I go through Vancouver border cross sometimes it can take over an hour so I'm trying to see how much time we need there and is there a nice visitor area at the border, in case he can't go, I can drop him off in the area :p

Thanks in advance :o

I just wanted to know how does the border crossing work when you drive the Klondike highway yourself?

A tour operator mentioned when you are with a bus' date=' you just lift your passport up and they move on b.c of all the people on board, but when you drive they will ask you all these questions like when you normally pass the border.. I ask b.c my bf had a DUI that was dropped to wreckless driving, and didn't know if this process takes extremely long or is it pretty fast to go through ... Or they could not let him through. Has anyone have experience with this?

I have read online and called and it's pretty much up to the specific border patrol but we haven't tried since

When I go through Vancouver border cross sometimes it can take over an hour so I'm trying to see how much time we need there and is there a nice visitor area at the border, in case he can't go, I can drop him off in the area :p

Thanks in advance :o[/quote']

I have done both multiple times, I have had a lot closer inspection when I drive, including the couple searches I've endured. This year, I've been with a vendor 3 times, and each of the 6 inspections was a look at the passport, with it never leaving my hand.

The process for crossing by car should be the same as at any border (you obviously know the drill at WA/BC). For your boyfriend it's going to be a bit different - here's a link to the requirements for being 'deemed rehabilitated' as assessed at a border crossing.

Reckless driving - NB: no W, someone who is a Wreck-less driver just never crashed their car;) - equates broadly to a charge of "operating a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public" in the Criminal Code of Canada [section 249.(1)(a)] so yes, it could very well get him rejected. That particular offence though has, through precedent, been deemed to not *always* apply to a reckless driving charge in the US, as the latter is a much broader range of offences.

Plain English? Without getting legal advice, or applying for a pardon, or actually trying to cross the border it's impossible to know whether your boyfriends charge would *actually* equate to a criminal charge in Canada (although, if it was specified as being a lower-penalty DUI it's 100% going to count as a criminal charge up here).

So - worst case assumption, that it is a criminal charge, he should be able to figure out pretty quickly if he meets the criteria in the link at the top or not. If he does, then he'll be allowed in but in theory should have documentation (listed in the link above) to prove the date(s) of the offence & any sentence handed down being completed.

If he *doesn't* meet the criteria, in theory he's going to be rejected - but then again they may not even ask so if he doesn't volunteer any additional info he could sail through just fine. If he was refused entry you could in theory go on without him, but it's going to show on his record. Better to avoid trying unless he's confident he'll be approved IMO!

Extra time? If they ask, and he has the docs to prove he's deemed rehabilitated, it may add just a minute or two to your crossing time as the officer checks the dates on the docs; it could add hours if they decide they don't like you and decide to grill you - there's no way to know.

I don't recall any sort of visitor area that might be of interest to drop him off at before the border - lots of scenic viewpoints on the way up from Skagway, but not visitor centre type places. Better to just leave him in town if you decide to go solo.

You have to understand that on a tour bus, what can you bring into their country, plus with any sort of thing on your license, you aren't driving.

By car, you CAN bring contraband into or out of a country so the border guards are more alert to who you are and what you may be doing. Plus if you have a DUI on a license and you are driving, that also throws up red flags.

As far as I know there is nothing at the border except for the customs agents. Usually it doesn't take that long, depending on the number of cars in front of you. This isn't a Freeway and time wise, figure 20 minutes or so, if there is nothing suspicious or wrong.

If it concerns you at all, take the tour.

Cheers

Len

I have the opposite issue with my husband, he is a Canadian with a DUI loooonnnggg ago, but in a different last name than his passport. He's never had any difficulty crossing into the US from Canada through airports or at land crossings but has never been seriously questioned.

We are driving ourselves up the Klondike Highway and back and I'm a bit worried about him being stopped on the way back into the US and not being allowed back to the Cruise ship.

Does anyone have any insight on the procedure on the way back and if we are driving an Alaskan rental, with a woman at the wheel, will it just be a cursory glance at the passports and a breeze on through?

Trying to get our US travelling done before all nationalities are finger printed at US border crossings.

I have done both multiple times, I have had a lot closer inspection when I drive, including the couple searches I've endured. ......
BQ, I am really very surprised to see this.

You have undoubtedly done a lot more border crossings from Skagway into Canada than I have, but in all the times I have taken this drive, we have never once been searched or even asked to open the trunk or step out of the car.

It has always been a very quick and easy border stop, in both directions.

Going out, they just ask where we are going and how long we will be in Canada.

I think the magic words are "cruise ship" because as soon as we mention that we are on a cruise, they lose all interest in us, wish us a nice day and wave us right through.

Upon re-entering the US, we again show our passports, they ask where we live, we reply and mention those two magic words again, and that is it.

The only further questioning is that sometimes they also ask the name of our cruise ship.

It must be because we are so sweet and innocent looking. :D

BQ, I am really very surprised to see this.

You have undoubtedly done a lot more border crossings from Skagway into Canada than I have, but in all the times I have taken this drive, we have never once been searched or even asked to open the trunk or step out of the car.

It has always been a very quick and easy border stop, in both directions.

Going out, they just ask where we are going and how long we will be in Canada.

I think the magic words are "cruise ship" because as soon as we mention that we are on a cruise, they lose all interest in us, wish us a nice day and wave us right through.

Upon re-entering the US, we again show our passports, they ask where we live, we reply and mention those two magic words again, and that is it.

The only further questioning is that sometimes they also ask the name of our cruise ship.

It must be because we are so sweet and innocent looking. :D

Twice, the car trunk was searched, one time, just a look in some bags (I had done laundry) The other time, the car was pulled over and everything removed with a more through search.

Of course the reports of "just driving through" are hindsight and really mean nothing. At the time, prior to this, there was no guarantee a spot check was not going to occur involving you was there? :)

There are only a couple places where roads enter SE Alaska from Canada and they are well known drug routes. Vehicle searches are a little more common at these borders.

Edited by Aquahound

The process for crossing by car should be the same as at any border (you obviously know the drill at WA/BC). For your boyfriend it's going to be a bit different - here's a link to the requirements for being 'deemed rehabilitated' as assessed at a border crossing.

Reckless driving - NB: no W, someone who is a Wreck-less driver just never crashed their car;) - equates broadly to a charge of "operating a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public" in the Criminal Code of Canada [section 249.(1)(a)] so yes, it could very well get him rejected. That particular offence though has, through precedent, been deemed to not *always* apply to a reckless driving charge in the US, as the latter is a much broader range of offences.

Plain English? Without getting legal advice, or applying for a pardon, or actually trying to cross the border it's impossible to know whether your boyfriends charge would *actually* equate to a criminal charge in Canada (although, if it was specified as being a lower-penalty DUI it's 100% going to count as a criminal charge up here).

So - worst case assumption, that it is a criminal charge, he should be able to figure out pretty quickly if he meets the criteria in the link at the top or not. If he does, then he'll be allowed in but in theory should have documentation (listed in the link above) to prove the date(s) of the offence & any sentence handed down being completed.

If he *doesn't* meet the criteria, in theory he's going to be rejected - but then again they may not even ask so if he doesn't volunteer any additional info he could sail through just fine. If he was refused entry you could in theory go on without him, but it's going to show on his record. Better to avoid trying unless he's confident he'll be approved IMO!

Extra time? If they ask, and he has the docs to prove he's deemed rehabilitated, it may add just a minute or two to your crossing time as the officer checks the dates on the docs; it could add hours if they decide they don't like you and decide to grill you - there's no way to know.

I don't recall any sort of visitor area that might be of interest to drop him off at before the border - lots of scenic viewpoints on the way up from Skagway, but not visitor centre type places. Better to just leave him in town if you decide to go solo.

Thank you for the detailed response .. I know he's not deemed rehabilitated b/c this just happened last year :(

Thanks for everyone's response .. it has all been very insightful! :)

I am going to pass this along to the BF b/c I have no problem just leaving him (though it will be too bad he can't see the gorgeous scenery) and driving off with my mom to Emerald lake and picking him back up later :D

I just drove rental to Emerald lake last week. Just a few minutes at border-asked where we were going and then told us about a few stops along the way. But neither one of us has a record nor did they ask about it. May be hit and miss though.

I just drove rental to Emerald lake last week. Just a few minutes at border-asked where we were going and then told us about a few stops along the way. But neither one of us has a record nor did they ask about it. May be hit and miss though.

Oh interesting .. thanks!! I love to hear about personal experiences at the border, seems much easier/smoother than Vancouver crossing. :)