Is it just me, or does it happen to you?

lottsomom

If you have butterflies in your stomach. One of two things may have happened.

One, you're such a seasoned traveler that you've prepared for most contingencies to the point where its habit. Its not just cruises, but any travel for me, as the days come up, I start to panic with air travels, road travels, all the things that can go wrong, packing, getting all the logistics in place to be away for an extended period of time. I don't think i will ever be that seasoned. Air travel by itself, is stressful enough as it can be unpredictable. Gone are the days where you can actually expect to board and disembark on time.

Two. Cruises have become common place for you. I think the longer you go between cruises/vacation, the more excited you get. I mean for many of us, a cruise is a culmination of year, or years of working. If you can drop a cruise price without batting an eye or worrying about issues, than that helps too. Maybe one day, i can be like that.

I have 11 under my belt, and 3 more booked between now and the end of 2015. I'm already getting excited for all of them at once, because well, there is a bunch of firsts for me. This one coming up, first with stepkids (their first cruise and they're teenagers, double wammy). The second, is the cruise i'm getting married on. And third, which is surprisingly, the LEAST excited compared the the two prior, is my honeymoon and by far, longest cruise i've ever taken. I'm least excited because when I get to that point, a huge weight after the wedding and such, will be off my shoulders.

Absolutely! I stress a little bit pre-cruise though because of flying in and worrying about getting to the airport on time and airline delays. Once I'm on the ship, I am totally relaxed though.

I've noticed on the ship that usually about the first 1-2 days or so that guests are a little uptight, but then after that, everyone looks much more relaxed and casual. I love to watch that transformation.

Well, I am one of those people whom you enjoy watching, then, as I am never "totally relaxed" immediately upon boarding, as you are. I need the wind-down time, because I get quite a bit more wound-up than most in preparing for a cruise (or for anything, really!) :) I hope some day I'll be like you -- but it hasn't happened yet, so I'm not holding my breath! :rolleyes:

I always get excited with my cruise and land vacations.Always something new to discover..Having quality time with my husband and having time off from work is very precious to me. Packing makes me nervous, as well as getting to the port. Once there I can calm down and start to relax and enjoy everything.

If you have butterflies in your stomach. One of two things may have happened.

One, you're such a seasoned traveler that you've prepared for most contingencies to the point where its habit. Its not just cruises, but any travel for me, as the days come up, I start to panic with air travels, road travels, all the things that can go wrong, packing, getting all the logistics in place to be away for an extended period of time. I don't think i will ever be that seasoned. Air travel by itself, is stressful enough as it can be unpredictable. Gone are the days where you can actually expect to board and disembark on time.

Two. Cruises have become common place for you. I think the longer you go between cruises/vacation, the more excited you get. I mean for many of us, a cruise is a culmination of year, or years of working. If you can drop a cruise price without batting an eye or worrying about issues, than that helps too. Maybe one day, i can be like that.

I have 11 under my belt, and 3 more booked between now and the end of 2015. I'm already getting excited for all of them at once, because well, there is a bunch of firsts for me. This one coming up, first with stepkids (their first cruise and they're teenagers, double wammy). The second, is the cruise i'm getting married on. And third, which is surprisingly, the LEAST excited compared the the two prior, is my honeymoon and by far, longest cruise i've ever taken. I'm least excited because when I get to that point, a huge weight after the wedding and such, will be off my shoulders.

Congrats on your up and coming wedding. I know that can be really stressful and you will be so relieved when its all over. You will have a great time on your honeymoon with the longer cruise and more time to relax!

Congrats on your up and coming wedding. I know that can be really stressful and you will be so relieved when its all over. You will have a great time on your honeymoon with the longer cruise and more time to relax!

Thanks

Our honeymoon is a 15 night Panama Canal cruise!!! The longest i've ever been on a cruise, is 10 nights. Heh, I just realized that i will be repeating this year on the Grandeur.

I have been cruising since 1976. I enjoy looking at cruise itineraries, deciding on the cruise and booking it. Then I forget about it until I have to make final payment and do the on-line check-in and make any travel arrangements that we need to and from the ship.

The hated part is when I have to pack. However, after all these years, I know what to pack and it only takes a few hours the day before we leave.

Next is the hassle of getting to the ship and boarding, getting past the annoying photographers and unpacking.

At that point I immediately relax and say, I am on a ship and worry free.

For us, a cruise has always been about relaxation and when we started cruising in 1976, one did totally get away from it. No TV, no internet, no phone calls and a daily printed one sheet news update if one really cared about what was happening outside the ship.

We still treat a cruise the same way. We take anywhere from one to three cruises a year (also land vacations and short get away weekends).

Umm yes! I only have 5 under my belt so it's good to know folks still get excited after lots of cruises. I've read a few comments on here where people said the excitement is gone. I hope I never get to that point. All this money and time spent planning, of course I'm excited! Got the butterflies too. Enjoy your cruise!

Weird -- I wonder why they still cruise? It's not like marriage or anything, where they're committed for better or for worse...:p

I have 17 days until my trip starts (32 until the cruise) but always get "omg omg its soon" .. this morning was saying to my husband "omg its only 17 days to go!!" .. and counting down how many work days are left hehe.

After 30+ cruises I am so excited about going again. I woke up this morning and was thinking I finally get to say I leave THIS Sunday!!! My tummy has butterflies in it. So I was just wondering if you have a cruise coming up in less then a week do you feel the same way? :D

Every single time. The anticipation is part of the phone. Wish I could say I was leaving this Sunday. Enjoy your cruises.

Well, first of all, I never really lost the feeling of excitement for an upcoming cruise although you can never quite duplicate the feeling you have when you go on your first one. I have been on a total of 13 cruises since I began cruising over 8 years ago and there have been a few times where I was excited but I knew pretty much exactly what to expect since I had been on that ship before and to the ports it visited numerous times. I do not feel this way about my upcoming Breeze cruise however. It just seems that this ship is an absolute gem and the ports it is visiting are exotic and so unique. So yes, I am very excited and will probably get the butterflies when the sail date nears.

Now, someone mentioned dreams of cruising in between cruises. I often have these, but they are of generic cruise ships in generic ports but funny thing is, I haven't had any lately. I know that feeling though. The worst part is that I usually end up waking up from the dream angry, because I missed out on the mdr every night of the cruise for one stupid reason or another. LOL.

Someone mentioned seeing bears. I didn't actually get to see any when visiting Alaska in 2007, and it is hard to actually ever see one because the park rangers will keep people out of areas where bears have been sighted nearby. They actually closed an entire nature hiking trail in Juneau, near the Mendenhall Glacier due to bear activity and that was in the middle of July. Good luck seeing one but we did get up close and personal with a whale on one of our boat tours. It actually got so close to us that it almost tipped our tour boat over haha. I recommend Alaska to anyone who asks me if it would be worth it to visit.

Still get excited, absolutely! To keep it from getting bleh for us, we mix it up. Every cruise needs to have at least one new port, or, be on a different cruise line, or at minimum, on a line we have not sailed in awhile. Pretty sure we would be bored if we did the same cruise line over and over again going back to the same handful of ports.

Edited by cruzeluver
additional info

30 + for me too but I still get as excited as if it was the first!! and I always need to have 2 planned so I'm not severely depressed getting off my current one..going on an 8 nite Liberty cruise in 22 days...can't wait!!! Then the Sunshine in March to the Southern Carribean!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

After 30+ cruises I am so excited about going again. I woke up this morning and was thinking I finally get to say I leave THIS Sunday!!! My tummy has butterflies in it. So I was just wondering if you have a cruise coming up in less then a week do you feel the same way? :D

Well, I have only had 7 cruises, since 1999, but I continue to dream about going on the next one, even when my cruises are spaced 4 years apart. I do an occasional land vacation in between sometimes, but the cruises are what I dream about the most.

Unfortunatly, I did have a cruise booked both for 2012, and again in 2013, which I had to cancel each year because of one or other of my ageing parents were ill, or going to have surgery. Once again I have a cruise booked for this fall, but I cannot let myself get butterflies or excited until I am actually well out to sea.

Just me and my situation. This year they are both stable and doing well, but when they are at that age anything can happen, so I just cant allow myself the luxury of getting excited right now, yet.

Ohhhhh, but I have my fingers crossed. I have not been on a cruise in four years, and am soooo needy. Here's hoping that this year I dont need to cancel. BTB...yes I do have insureance.:)

and BTB...have a great cruise....give us a review when you come back

Edited by SMSACE6

I've only gone on 5, but I get excited every time. I enjoy counting down the days, planning everything, and I even play a "game" with whoever will be cruising with me called "If you could order from room service right now, what would you get?"

On my next cruise, I'll be going with a friend who has never cruised before (or even had a proper vacation of any sort) and I'm even more excited thinking about how much fun she'll have.

101 days until we're on the Breeze!

We will only be going on our 4th, this Tuesday! Our last was over New Years. Definitely still get excited! Months of research, finally booking, then forgetting about it for awhile. Then final payment, and all the excursion research, flight bookings, excursion bookings, and we getting excited all over again. Then planning what to pack, who's house sitting, taking off work...on and on. All exciting! My husband says things like, in 6 days we'll be on a plane. In 7 days we'll be having our first DOD. In 9 days we'll be in Tracy Arm...etc etc. Yep, totally excited!!

I don't think the excitement will really end. The ports and ships are great, but I get excited for the great cabin steward service, eating in the MDR, walking the top decks, sitting on our balcony with early morning coffee brought by room service, etc. All those days off work!! Now that's exciting stuff lol!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app