Customs issues in Galveston, TX

I wonder how many others will post the "I hate Galveston" story:confused:

I find it amusing the naysayers believe that nothing ever occurs at other ports that delay disembarkation.

They will find out that nothing is perfect anywhere and there are delays everywhere at some time

I assume ,in the future, they will make the decision to never sail again because of the inconvenience of waiting in line:rolleyes:

What a nation of whiners we have become:mad:

Well said Mary, well said.

Vic

Archaic.... just like the blue laws:rolleyes:

California doesn't do it;)

California doesn't do what? Don't get me started on Ca taxes and special charges by the State Board of Equalisation. I don't think Rick Perry is too smart, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Governor :D

I sailed out of Galveston in May, with Belize on our itinerary. We carried our own bags out and from room to shuttle, it probably took no more than 30 minutes. It was the same getting on the ship. I would cruise out of Galveston again in a heartbeat!

california doesn't do what? Don't get me started on ca taxes and special charges by the state board of equalisation. I don't think rick perry is too smart, but i'd trade him in a heartbeat for governor :d

:)

That was one of the reasons, among many, moving from CA to Texas

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Careful Jon:mad:

California is broke; Texas isn't:D

Hey Now If it wasn't for oil TX would be broke also:p

BTW we might come down sunday for sailaway:D

California doesn't do what? Don't get me started on Ca taxes and special charges by the State Board of Equalisation. I don't think Rick Perry is too smart, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Governor :D

I was taking playful jabs at the Galvestonians

CA doesn't charge for duty for duty free booze

Have the archaic blue laws

Have to sell only certain booze first day on the cruise so the distributors can get paid

Yea it is pretty sad that the governor is the same governor we had in the 70's:confused: But wouldn't want Perry either

As someone that lives in both states, neither state is perfect, but this isn't the place to discuss it

Edited by jonbgd

Well, there is a whole lot that Texas does differently than California.

As a TX resident I hope they charge everybody after reading this:

Where does the money go?

All money derived from the taxes and fees collected by TABC is deposited into the state's General Revenue Fund, along with all the other tax revenue collected by state agencies.

Keep importing the cigarettes and booze and help fund our state. Anything to keep us from having a state income tax!

Wow. Really? Everyone?

Please explain to me why a Canadian resident who buys alcohol in a port and flies directly back to Canada after the cruise should pay a tax to Texas. Because I don't get that. At all.

Most states I visit I can get a refund on the sales tax I've been charged while shopping there.

Guess I will just buy my duty free on the plane ride home.:cool:

Hey Now If it wasn't for oil TX would be broke also:p

BTW we might come down sunday for sailaway:D

I was taking playful jabs at the Galvestonians

CA doesn't charge for duty for duty free booze

Have the archaic blue laws

Have to sell only certain booze first day on the cruise so the distributors can get paid

Yea it is pretty sad that the governor is the same governor we had in the 70's:confused: But wouldn't want Perry either

As someone that lives in both states, neither state is perfect, but this isn't the place to discuss it

Galveston Cruiser and I know you were only taking playful jabs.;)

Let us know if you come down:)

Hey even jbond and I agree on something. :D

I'm sorry he didn't let us know he was coming back!

We would have happily shown him around.

Edited by ssb

Most states I visit I can get a refund on the sales tax I've been charged while shopping there.

:

If you go shopping at the outlet mall in Tx they have a table where they refund your taxes:confused:

Back to the TABC

When I was almost out the door of the Terminal, some guy sitting on a chair yelled at me. He asked If I had any liquor to declare. I could have kept on waking but I didn't.

Went to the table, the lady asked what I had

I first said 2 litters and she gave me a price

Than I remembered they were 750ml bottles, so she gave me a cheaper price

I Paid she gave me 2 stickers to place on the bottles.

No One ever checked

I went outside and was talking to to others They didn't even stop to pay:eek:

Also others that were the first off, doing self assist, said the table wasn't even there when the went thru:confused:

Florida doesn't have state income tax and doesn't charge for duty free booze

FYI:

Blue laws are not indigenous to Texas.

Blue laws were put in place for Sunday to be a day of worship; certain items were not to be sold.

The Middle East has the same - on Friday.

Europe has the same with laws for Sunday.

Some cities, counties, states still have "blue laws" restricting certain sales, work, etc.

The sale of alcohol on the ships departing Texas has nothing to do with this law, but TABC which is to collect a tax on all alcohol sales.

History lesson for today is complete:D

FYI:

Blue laws are not indigenous to Texas.

Blue laws were put in place for Sunday to be a day of worship; certain items were not to be sold.

The Middle East has the same - on Friday.

Europe has the same with laws for Sunday.

Some cities, counties, states still have "blue laws" restricting certain sales, work, etc.

The sale of alcohol on the ships departing Texas has nothing to do with this law, but TABC which is to collect a tax on all alcohol sales.

History lesson for today is complete:D

Thanks for the history lesson MOM:p

But the Blue laws do affect people cruising from Tx

If you cant buy your 2 bottles of wine, to carry on for free, till after 12 on sundays

That can affect how long it takes to board.;

Besides, imagine if liquor stores were open on sundays, they wouldn't be so crowded on Saturday night:D

We might nave to discuss this more in depth, over a cocktail, during a sunday sailaway;)

Edited by jonbgd

Another little alcohol wrinkle for ships embarking from Texas is that the ship can only serve alcoholic beverages purchased from Texas distributors until they get beyond Texas waters, and I think there's a little extra Texas tax on alcohol until the ship reaches international waters. DH gets a bit annoyed about this because some of the beers he likes can't be sold in Texas waters.:eek: I, however, am fine with a mojito made any kind of rum…it's the lime and the mint shortages that make me nuts!:p

Judy

But the Blue laws do affect people cruising from Tx

If you cant buy your 2 bottles of wine, to carry on for free, till after 12 on sundays

That can affect how long it takes to board.

I found the liquor laws very confusing, especially in a restaurant on Sunday morning, in the airport on Sunday and on the ship leaving port.

We checked our luggage in around 10:30 with no hassle. We then went for brunch at Fisherman's Wharf and then wandered around town. Bought our wine at Walgreens and returned to the ship around 2:30. Walked straight on.