Favorite port?

lovingCCL

What are you looking for? What do you like to do? What parts of the world are you interested in?

Our favorites are the ports with the best snorkeling, because we are snorkelers. Key West was hands down the best for us in that regard. After that, in order of preference for snorkeling, were Nassau, St John, Belize, Aruba, Cozumel and Bonaire.

For local cultural/historical interest, our favorites were San Juan, Nassau, and the Panama Canal. For beachy relaxation, Roatan (Mahogany Bay) and Cozumel. We have sailed eastern, western, southern Caribbean itineraries, and Bahamas, and have not been to a "bad" port. We, too, have a long list of other parts of the world we want to sail to...

If you have a list of ports you want to visit, find a cruise you can afford at a time you can sail that calls at the greatest number of ports on your list, and go! Knock off as many as you can, and then do it again! What fun to have the world open to you!

And don't forget that sea days are a wonderful thing, too!

I am interested in the best beaches with the clearest water. In that regards, my fave so far is Half Moon Cay.

And you are def right...sea days rock! :-)

Don't have a fave exactly, but since you are on the Valor, I feel compelled to point out Tortola. A quick ferry ride to Virgin Gorda can take you to The Baths which pretty much blew me away. You can do this easily on your own and I prefer it that way personally. Climbing through the rocks to get to the insanely beautiful and tucked away beach at the end...A++. I'm not a huge beach person, but that place is the exception. There is a little cave you can sit in to get out of the sun for a bit and the water is crystal clear. Head back through the rocks a little early to catch your return ride to the ferry and you can stop at the restaurant at the top of the hill for a drink with a stunning view.

Google it, so worth going.

Been to over 150 ports around the world (including the Caribbean) and our favorite port would probably be Istanbul. Venice is also high on our list. As to the Caribbean, although we do enjoy beaches on many of the islands there is no common Caribbean port that would even make our top 50 list. St Barts would probably top our list of Caribbean ports....partly because it gets so few cruise ships.

Hank

I am interested in the best beaches with the clearest water. In that regards, my fave so far is Half Moon Cay.

And you are def right...sea days rock! :-)

I can help with clear water but not with beaches -- everywhere we've snorkeled the water has been fabulous, but of course, beaches in general aren't good for snorkeling! Roatan (Mahogany Bay) and Half Moon Cay (as many have recommended) have nice beaches, in our opinion, but again, we aren't beach people so maybe there are better ones... You can't beat the Bahamas, in my opinion, for water color and clarity. See below:

Coming into Nassau

ry%3D400

San Blas off coast of Panama! You can only get there via boat or tiny - 4 passenger -plane. The natives come out to the ship in their hand dug canoes and dive for the quarters and whatever else you throw overboard. The island has no power except for generators and only cell phones if that. They make the most spectacular mollas and hand stitched shirts with tiny little stiches.

I think the only ships that go there now are the pricy ones but HAL used to stop when going through the Panama Canal.

We were there years ago and would love to go back but not with the $$$$ ships. It cost .25 cents to take a picture of a native, nothing for just the area.

I was able to get more of their shirts when in Panama by asking for San Blas shirts. We were there when going into the Panama Canal but not through it.

There are many ports that I just love but my top picks are:

Aruba - Beautiful scenery, nice beaches and friendly people.

Key West - A quaint town with character and charm.

St. Lucia - Absolutely gorgeous scenery

Dominica - Gotta love natural beauty and those wonderful waterfalls.

Honduras- Such a homey feeling there, also very cultural.

Curacao - Loved the culture and the colorful buildings, just had a great feeling being there.

Cozumel Mexico- I love this place. Learned a lot of history here and the port/shopping area was great

Edited by thehappycruiserchick

I've only been on two cruises so far but I can tell you I did not like St. Martin because of the poverty that we saw when took an island tour.. I did like Saint Thomas and Nassau because of the history.

• 4 weeks later...

Why all the Caribbean ports? They are almost all the same. Poverty and beaches.

What about Venice, Dubrovnik, Capri, Barcelona, London, Athens, Rhodes, etc.. All are much more interesting than any Caribbean port. What about Moorea or BoraBora?

No thinks that the Hawaii ports are more interesting than Caribbean ports?