Hiking in Bergen - Late September

We will be visiting Bergen towards the end of September and would like to walk up the Stoltzekleiven trail (the trail with ~ 800 stone stairs) and walk down the Skredderdalen trail - weather permitting.

Has anyone done this loop? Are the trails clearly marked or do we need to get a map at the tourist information centre before we start? Any idea how long this would take - including walking time from the Bontelabo port (we are seniors but regularly climb a lot more steps than 800 and do a fair bit of walking)?

If coming down the Skredderdalen trail is not a good idea - any suggestions for an alternate way down?

Walking up stolzen is a bit of a challenge but totally worth it at the top! If you're docking at Bontelabo I would leave around 20 mins at a gentle pace to walk through Sandviken to the start of stolzekleiven. The walk up the steps can easily take around 30 mins (particularly if it's warm and you take a break on the way up). Once at the top the path levels out to a beatiful walk through the forest and lakes. All routes down are clearly marked.

If you have a little extra time I would advise continuing along this path to the top of fløyen, maybe another 30 min walk. There is a fantastic viewing platform there, then the option of a far gentler walk down or a fenicular railway to the bottom, both of which will land you right in the city centre by the fish market and bryggen for an easy stroll back to your ship at Bontelabo. Whatever route you chose you're in for a treat!

Any other questions just let me know :)

We took the cable car up I'm the morning and in addition to the amazing views were delighted by all of the wonderful hiking trails we encountered up there. After exploring a few of the trails we walked back down to Bergen on a very well groomed trail that enchanted us with a collection of gigantic trolls carved out of logs along each side of the pathway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

^ @UKcruise88

You were right - walking up the Stoltzekleiven trail was "totally worth it at the top". My husband (72) and I (62) made it to the peak and then walked to Fløyen, where we followed the trail back down to Bergen. The views from Stoltzekleiven are fantastic, so much better than the lookout at Fløyen, and the trail through the woods was beautiful.

e6qd55.jpg

2eobtb9.jpg

9tz81c.jpg

i2p0kx.jpg

1zm1b4g.jpg

^ @UKcruise88

You were right - walking up the Stoltzekleiven trail was "totally worth it at the top". My husband (72) and I (62) made it to the peak and then walked to Fløyen, where we followed the trail back down to Bergen. The views from Stoltzekleiven are fantastic, so much better than the lookout at Fløyen, and the trail through the woods was beautiful.

Your photos are beautiful! We are in Bergen the 2nd week of May from noon-8pm and wonder if both time and weather conditions will allow us to hike this trail. How long did it take you?

Thank you TMLAalum.

We arrived in Bergen at 8 AM - took a few wrong turns to get to the trail head - took time out for lots of pics, stopped at Fløyen and chatted with friends that had taken a tour, then returned to the ship for lunch. We were lucky and had perfect weather for our hike - hopefully you will too.

We used the stairs on the ship to stay in shape - my morning exercise was climbing from deck 4 to deck 13, 10 to 15 times (my husband did it 30 times) - made the climb up a bit easier.