Carnival developing new port?

kybluecruiser

We may eventually lean towards Holland America that goes to places like St. Barts. :rolleyes:

You got me thinking about who sails to St. Barth's, so I looked up this winter's schedules. It seems like the majority of calls are divided between Windstar and Oceania. There are also a handful of sailings on one of HAL's smaller ships Maasdam. I also found 2 stops on Celebrity Constellation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really hope they start expanding to new places. Every time I go I have a "new favorite ship" :D so the boat doesn't bother me. I really want to see some new itineraries Carnival. Why they don't expand on Mahogany Bay is strange. A cruise to Belize and Mahogany Bay would be a perfect 5 day getaway.

Can't wait to see this new Haiti facility. Amber Cove as well.

Happy cruising!

You got me thinking about who sails to St. Barth's, so I looked up this winter's schedules. It seems like the majority of calls are divided between Windstar and Oceania. There are also a handful of sailings on one of HAL's smaller ships Maasdam. I also found 2 stops on Celebrity Constellation.

Celebrity goes there, even better. I saw another sailing on October 27th, the Infinity, which also goes to Labadee. I actually would rather choose a sailing like Dec 18th on Prinsendam for HAL, to see multiple new ports for the time and money. A 14 - 21 day cruise to see one new port isn't worth it for us.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

This would make me happy.:)

Dropping San Juan would make me very, very sad!:( We LOVE san Juan! It is one of our favorites -- history, beauty, great food, nice people!

We live in Florida -- we have plenty of beaches here for free, so we don't cruise for the beaches. But that is why they need something for everyone! ;)

We enjoy Florida beaches every weekend we also don't cruise for the beaches:)

I don't like Labadee; I hope this is better. I would love Carnival to have an itinerary with just their private beach destinations. That would be so nice!

What don't you like about Labadee?

When was the last time you were there?

I agree with everyone. I would rather spend another day at sea then spend one in Freeport. Carnival needs to find better ports even if they have to make more by on their own. If they built another like grand turk everyone would be happy. HAPPY SAILING!!

Just treat it like a sea day and don't go ashore. Plenty of chairs, no lines for food, pools wide open, gym deserted. Best sea day ever is staying onboard while the ship is in port. Port days are only time I can get food from the Montgolion wok without the long lines.

I thought this was old news. They started this a couple of years ago. It will probably replace La Romana, By using the north coast, it'll make it more accessible to Eastern C ships. But yeah, it's going to be a Grand Turk experience, not a Half Moon Bay experience.

You are thinking of Amber Cove, which is a port Carnival is developing on the Northern side of the DR.

This thread is about a port in Hati, not the DR.

I am most excited about Amber Cove, a new $65 million Carnival port in Puerto Plata than Tortuga . We have been to two Dominican Republic ports (Samana and La Romana) and have absolutely loved both of them!

I m not a big fan of "cookie cutter" cruise ports, but do like to see them once. We like to venture out and experience history, culture, nature and adventure. I have never visited a Senior Frogs in port. It's like going to Times Square in NYC and eating at the Olive Garden. Many people do that, but I can get that experience back home. We like to grab a slice of authentic NY pizza from a little hole in the wall.

I googled Tortuga Island, and one forum stated, "Tortuga is an island on the north coast of Haiti. There is virtually no tourism there, no hotels, no tourist activities, few 'towns' and few residents. The reasons being? It is not picturesque - but dry and rocky, because the mainland port is more isolated due to bad roads. Visitors generally prefer seeing Caribbean beauty, which can be found elsewhere, although the beaches may be very nice." It will be interesting to see what local excursions develop for the cruise passengers.

We were "forced" to like La Romana. When we sailed for our honeymoon 10 years ago on Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas, a dispute at another port of call forced us to dock at La Romana for 3 days/2 nights :eek:. We ended up loving the place. We went horseback riding in Casa de Campo, took a day trip to Catalina Island, toured the artist village of Altos de Chavon, and shopped for bargains in La Romana. I'm pretty sure that if we had only been there for the original 8 hours, we would've never discovered what this place has to offer. Our impression would've been completely different if we had only done a bit of hurried sightseeing around the downtown area, which is pretty ugly. :o

I loved our port day in La Romana, and am looking forward to going back. One of the best ports we have visited!