Ebola Threat

Responder

Until a decision is made by Regent management (this is expected to happen next week according to a poster), the Customer Service Reps. will continue to give the same answer. Since a letter went out advising customers to get the Yellow Fever immunization, it sounds like Cape Verde remains on the itinerary. If this is the case, Senegal will be cancelled.

What is it that they're checking that we haven't seen and checked?....maybe their bottom line, I suppose.

Really trying to keep this thread and our responses calm. I do not understand why you post gratuitous comments. These type of comments tend to enflame posters (at least they enflame me) and they do not add anything to the discussion.

So, for my response, I'll do my best to disregard your last comment and calmly look at the situation (obviously from my perspective). Before Regent officially cancels the port of Dakar (assuming they do), they would probably need to look at other ports in the area. From what I can see on the map, there are not a lot of choices but there are a few. Dakar is a large and very busy port. If the Mariner was slated to refuel in Dakar and/or receive a supply shipment, arrangements need to made to obtain fuel and supplies elsewhere*. Also, changing ports requires fitting into the port schedule since ships cannot come and go as they wish.

Lastly, there are excursions to consider. Passengers would not be happy if the ship arrived in port without having transportation/excursions available to them. If the ship can get fuel and supplies at an already established port on the itinerary, they could decide to use Dakar as another sea days. My guess is that, since there are already a lot consecutive sea days, finding an appropriate port would be the best alternative.

It is easy for us to look at the map and pick a port but the details involved are not that easy. Again, my opinion.

*Regarding food, for those of us who do the transatlantic crossings, you know that some of the "fresh" fruits and veggies can begin to look a bit sad after 4-5 consecutive sea days. This is an important consideration for passengers on this cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

Regarding food, for those of us who do the transatlantic crossings, you know that some of the "fresh" fruits and veggies can begin to look a bit sad after 4-5 consecutive sea days. This is an important consideration for passengers on this cruise.

hmmm... unspotted bananas vs. the risk of dying from an incurable disease?

You're right ...tough call. :cool:

Really trying to keep this thread and our responses calm. I do not understand why you post gratuitous comments. These type of comments tend to enflame posters (at least they enflame me) and they do not add anything to the discussion.

So, for my response, I'll do my best to disregard your last comment and calmly look at the situation (obviously from my perspective). Before Regent officially cancels the port of Dakar (assuming they do), they would probably need to look at other ports in the area. From what I can see on the map, there are not a lot of choices but there are a few. Dakar is a large and very busy port. If the Mariner was slated to refuel in Dakar and/or receive a supply shipment, arrangements need to made to obtain fuel and supplies elsewhere*. Also, changing ports requires fitting into the port schedule since ships cannot come and go as they wish.

Lastly, there are excursions to consider. Passengers would not be happy if the ship arrived in port without having transportation/excursions available to them. If the ship can get fuel and supplies at an already established port on the itinerary, they could decide to use Dakar as another sea days. My guess is that, since there are already a lot consecutive sea days, finding an appropriate port would be the best alternative.

It is easy for us to look at the map and pick a port but the details involved are not that easy. Again, my opinion.

*Regarding food, for those of us who do the transatlantic crossings, you know that some of the "fresh" fruits and veggies can begin to look a bit sad after 4-5 consecutive sea days. This is an important consideration for passengers on this cruise.

I know how you feel, but back to square one....

If Regent had notified the TA's...emailed to the people on this cruise....with just a few words, telling us their thinking, this would be a much more civil discussion.

Remember, we are all paying customers and therefore entitled to share in the events leading up to the reason that they have collected multi-thousands of dollars from us.

Why do you feel that you have to be the spokesperson for them? I don't believe you factually know any more than the rest of us and it is pathetic that in all this time, they never saw fit to utter a single word.

Do you read that anyone else in this conversation has spoken in their behalf?

Why does expressing our feelings inflame posters. As I have been reading, the greater majority of posters feel as I do.

It has actually reached the point, I suspect for many, that whatever conclusion they ultimately come to, this event will put a dent in their future customer list.

I know how you feel, but back to square one....

If Regent had notified the TA's...emailed to the people on this cruise....with just a few words, telling us their thinking, this would be a much more civil discussion.

Remember, we are all paying customers and therefore entitled to share in the events leading up to the reason that they have collected multi-thousands of dollars from us.

Why do you feel that you have to be the spokesperson for them? I don't believe you factually know any more than the rest of us and it is pathetic that in all this time, they never saw fit to utter a single word.

Do you read that anyone else in this conversation has spoken in their behalf?

Why does expressing our feelings inflame posters. As I have been reading, the greater majority of posters feel as I do.

It has actually reached the point, I suspect for many, that whatever conclusion they ultimately come to, this event will put a dent in their future customer list.

First, computerworks - you apparently did not read my post thoroughly. My thoughts were that Regent would want to find an alternate port where they could load fresh food. If they cannot do so, they obviously carry enough food until they reach Barbados. We have repeatedly seen Regent go above and beyond what is necessary to keep their passengers happy. On one cruise, there were no fresh cucumbers for 4 days so they had them flown to a port from Spain. However, once you leave the Canary Islands, does anyone know of a port where Regent can safely dock/tender and load fresh food? Or, like you indicate, having brown bananas (or other fresh fruits and veggies) may not matter to the passengers.

Responder, I have repeatedly said that what I post is my opinion. My previous post (regarding the changing of ports) comes from the many long discussions we've had with crew and officers onboard Regent ships. We have discussed excursions with the Destination Services, food with F&B managers, etc. It is because of our interest in Regent that we have learned so much on how things are done onboard a Regent ship. Passengers that have toured the kitchens or worked in the kitchen (when Le Cordon Bleu classes were being offered and we worked in the Signatures kitchen), learned a lot about where they get supplies, how long they are able to keep them fresh, etc. Tons of information available to anyone that is interested in learning about it.

When I share what I've learned over the years, it is an opinion based on our experiences or what we have learned from various people onboard the ships. Yes -- we both have spent a lot of money on Regent cruises and have certain expectations. We have not once thought that we are entitled to know "their thoughts" regarding anything. And, when I say that Regent has no responsibility to tell members of Cruise Critic what they are doing..... IMO, this is common sense. Why would Regent have responsibility to Cruise Critic members (most of whom are not Regent customers)?

You asked what was taking so long for Regent to make a decision. I gave my opinion and was definitely not speaking for Regent. Everything Regent does has to be thought out in minute detail. The amount of things that the officers, crew and management of Regent handle all over the world on an hourly basis is mind-boggling. It is easy to criticize -- especially when you are not walking in their shoes.

Edited by Travelcat2

Aloha TC, Responder & others,

Again, if one reads back through this thread, it seems that two different passengers were given two different answers from their TAs concerning their itinerary--both of these answers reportedly came from Regent via the TAs.

One passenger reported that "Sengal was a go," and another reported that "the decision will be made next week." This inconsistency and inability to communicate quickly and efficiently with their customers is, in my view, a huge failure on Regent's part, especially in light of the fact that two other cruise lines with similar itineraries, Fred Olsen and Seabourn, were able to inform passengers of their plans.

As I have stated earlier, Regent would not necessarily have needed to make the decision right away, but they could have at least acknowledged the travel restrictions put in place by one of their ports and the effect that this could have on their sailing.

I certainly view Regent in a different light than I did prior to reading about this problem here on Cruise Critic, and I am not one to easily judge a company via posts I read online. I would bet that their are other readers who feel the same.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

First, computerworks - you apparently did not read my post thoroughly. My thoughts were that Regent would want to find an alternate port where they could load fresh food. If they cannot do so, they obviously carry enough food until they reach Barbados. We have repeatedly seen Regent go above and beyond what is necessary to keep their passengers happy. On one cruise, there were no fresh cucumbers for 4 days so they had them flown to a port from Spain. However, once you leave the Canary Islands, does anyone know of a port where Regent can safely dock/tender and load fresh food? Or, like you indicate, having brown bananas (or other fresh fruits and veggies) may not matter to the passengers.

Responder, I have repeatedly said that what I post is my opinion. My previous post (regarding the changing of ports) comes from the many long discussions we've had with crew and officers onboard Regent ships. We have discussed excursions with the Destination Services, food with F&B managers, etc. It is because of our interest in Regent that we have learned so much on how things are done onboard a Regent ship. Passengers that have toured the kitchens or worked in the kitchen (when Le Cordon Bleu classes were being offered and we worked in the Signatures kitchen), learned a lot about where they get supplies, how long they are able to keep them fresh, etc. Tons of information available to anyone that is interested in learning about it.

When I share what I've learned over the years, it is an opinion based on our experiences or what we have learned from various people onboard the ships. Yes -- we both have spent a lot of money on Regent cruises and have certain expectations. We have not once thought that we are entitled to know "their thoughts" regarding anything. And, when I say that Regent has no responsibility to tell members of Cruise Critic what they are doing..... IMO, this is common sense. Why would Regent have responsibility to Cruise Critic members (most of whom are not Regent customers)?

You asked what was taking so long for Regent to make a decision. I gave my opinion and was definitely not speaking for Regent. Everything Regent does has to be thought out in minute detail. The amount of things that the officers, crew and management of Regent handle all over the world on an hourly basis is mind-boggling. It is easy to criticize -- especially when you are not walking in their shoes.

You keep repeating about Regent posting to CC members. No one has said that. This is the only real board for cruisers to post in.

Regent has an obligation to keep all the people sailing on this and every cruise informed if anything is or has a potential for changing that which was advertised when the fees were paid. They have no connection to CC except in the realm of being an advertiser, whatever that costs.

In spite of all your accumulated knowledge, unless you are on the BOD and are involved in making those moment to moment decisions, I personally would rather hear it from Regent directly. They have everyone's email address because when the payments come due, a message is sent with no problem.

You gave your opinion and I and some others gave theirs, so let's wait until "His Masters Voice" speaks.

Edited by Responder
typo

TC,

Why are you happy to not be on the Dakar cruise?

With few exceptions, the passengers on this cruise do not seem very happy. No one knows which port, if any, Regent will switch to. While I hope the weeks of negativity leading up to the cruise will diminish, I'm not hopeful. It is pretty obvious by my posts that I'm usually a "glass half full" person. In my experience, worrying and trying to control something out of my control is fruitless and only causes further upset.

There is a couple on our cruise that is continuing on to Miami. We have sailed with them before. They have not posted on this thread -- only on Roll Call. I hope to be able to discuss the situation and ask their views.

In any case, I wish the passengers on the Dakar cruise well. It is a shame that this has turned into what it has.

With few exceptions, the passengers on this cruise do not seem very happy. No one knows which port, if any, Regent will switch to. While I hope the weeks of negativity leading up to the cruise will diminish, I'm not hopeful. It is pretty obvious by my posts that I'm usually a "glass half full" person. In my experience, worrying and trying to control something out of my control is fruitless and only causes further upset.

There is a couple on our cruise that is continuing on to Miami. We have sailed with them before. They have not posted on this thread -- only on Roll Call. I hope to be able to discuss the situation and ask their views.

In any case, I wish the passengers on the Dakar cruise well. It is a shame that this has turned into what it has.

Mahalo for your honest answer to this question. I have been reading this thread since it started way back in early August, a month and a half ago now, and I find it an incredible shame that Regent may end up with a ship full of fairly unhappy passengers. Just imagine how differently the situation could have turned out if Regent had simply sent a few emails out during this time to all of the passengers on this sailing in order to keep the them updated on the options Regent was considering.

As I've stated here before, we run a small business in Hawaii, and we deal with between 600 and 800 people nearly every day. It is oftentimes difficult dealing with tourists every day and especially with this kind of volume. However, I am constantly reminding my employees that we are very lucky to have such a great location in a beautiful, special place, and our primary purpose is to make certain that the people who visit our town and our shop are happy. I always say that if a guest walks out of our shop unhappy or angry, for any reason, we have absolutely failed.

In this case Regent has certainly failed, as there seem to be a number of customers who are either unhappy or angry before they even step on the ship. And we all know that it is much easier, better for the company, and inexpensive to retain a current customer than it is to cultivate new customers. Reading this has really made me sad; it seems that Regent has lost the trust of some long time loyal customers, and who knows if they will ever be able to regain their trust.

Hoping for the best for all of you on this cruise and for Regent as well.

Aloha,

Mark

Edited by HanaleiSailor

From my perspective, trying to assuage customers' dissatisfaction with Regent without any input from Regent seems like one of those fruitless endeavors that must lead to upset for all involved.

Regent could have easily controlled the negativity if it had only bothered to say something. I find it interesting that Regent could respond recently on a thread that had to do with platinum members not getting some little gift, but they can't be bothered to respond here or elsewhere to numerous people's concerns about safety and comfort on an upcoming cruise.

Management's silence is contrary to sound management practices and is downright disrespectful of passengers. I've spent lots of time and money with Regent, but the way they are treating people on this cruise has given me a whole new perspective on the company. I don't appreciate companies that fail to treat customers with respect.

I very strongly agree with the posters who have suggested that Regent would have been better served by responding to the reasonable concerns of the passengers on the cruise which is scheduled to dock (or maybe not...) in Dakar.

As for the silence of Regent execs on CC boards, one might note that the President of Regent, Kunal S. Kamlani, managed to interrupt his busy schedule a few minutes ago to make a post on the CC Oceania board regarding tipping.

Of course, clarifying a tipping question is certainly much more pressing than addressing passengers' concerns regarding one of the most dreadful epidemics in recent history, is it not?

Jackie (TC2), you will understand that I am not particularly threatened by your references to the legal resources of Regent, considering my own background as a corporate shark. Whatever your inside sources at PCH may have told you regarding that group's capacity or penchant for going after people who criticize the group on message boards, it is a fact (not an opinion) that they would be doing so at their own rather significant commercial and public relations peril, irrespective of the short tempers of certain execs at PCH.

Edited by freddie

Aloha all,

This discussion of whether or not Regent threatens legal action against those who post on these boards seems, to me, to be somewhat ridiculous, and it moves discussion away from a serious topic.

This thread has evolved from a discussion about the threat of Ebola on a cruise scheduled to stop in Senegal to a discussion about whether or not Regent is treating its customers professionally and respectfully regarding possible itinerary changes to a cruise which is sailing in several weeks' time.

As I posted several times earlier in this thread, I like Regent, and I wish them nothing but success. I want them to be a first class company and to treat their customers really well so that I can sail with them for many years into the future.

I have no great criticism of the company overall, but in this particular instance, I believe that their lack of communication with their customers to be unworthy of their reputation as a first-class business.

From what I have read, many posters here love Regent, but like me, they believe that management has really dropped the ball for the people on this itinerary. In the long run, I hope this works out and that people have a great cruise, but I can't help but think this lack of communication has tarnished Regent's image for a good many.

I am looking forward to

Edited by HanaleiSailor

Have you gotten any feedback from your travel insurance co. that you would care to share? I have just caught up with this thread and am astonished that they are too busy to get back to the folks on this sailing. They are apparently aware of Cruise Critic.

Jackie (TC2) - I would respectfully (sort of) ask you at what has Regent been successful in this regard. Are you genuinely suggesting that the company which you repeatedly trumpet as honorable would attempt to intimidate and silence CC posters who express opinions contrary to the company line of Regent or PCH by threatening legal action against such posters on a public opinion forum?

If you are accurate in your assertion that Regent "has been successful" in such activity, then I would suggest that any such actions by Regent would be contrary to those of any honorable company and, indeed, contrary to many of the basic tenets of any American company. I would further suggest that Regent and PCH are enormously ill-served by your declarations and would be well-served to distance themselves emphatically from your pronouncements.

I beg the moderators of this forum to allow this discussion to continue, as issues of rather significant import have been raised.

As for me, as a veteran of Regent of many cruises over the last 11 years, I have great affection for the product and hope fervently that it will continue to exist and, in fact, improve. However, no company can ignore the concerns of its consumers (passengers) and prosper.

HanaleiSailor: We will definitely not revisit that discussion. Guess I made an error by making a statement to someone that I thought would understand it and not attempt to exploit it. That is a discussion for another time and another place. Despite my stubbornness, I do fall into traps when trying to help posters. I am still learning :o I will say that Regent is NOT randomly threatening anyone. It is difficult to believe how many times people can take comments out of context and blow it into something that does not exist.

In terms of this subject, we are still in a "wait and see" mode. I am most distressed at what occurred today (yesterday?) when people trying to learn more about the Ebola crisis were murdered. Although still off topic, I fear for the men and women that will be entering that area in an attempt to treat the disease and control the spreading of Ebola.

Again, at this point, I cannot imagine the Mariner docking in Dakar. Will they find another port? Will it be another sea day? "Next week" is still in the future and we will all have to practice a little patience. In terms of the continual bashing of Regent, I am not certain what anyone expects to gain by this tactic. Whether we agree or disagree with Regent...... at this point, does it really matter? A response will be forthcoming. Some may like their decisions -- others may not. If I were a betting person, I would bet that there will still be people bashing Regent after a decision is made.

Once again, I truly wish that this thread had stayed on Roll Call so that people that are on the cruise could discuss this. Instead, we have people that have never cruised on Regent coming out of nowhere to take part in this debacle.

P.S. Responder: Have no idea what you are talking about! Perhaps you could answer questions from posters that have a legitimate concern instead of spending your time talking about me. I post what I post and you can believe it or not -- I've always said that.

Edited by Travelcat2

Sorry, lost the last two paragraphs of my post above as I rushed off to get my chicken in the oven!

I am looking forward to getting our cruise documents in the next week or so as we will sail on the Voyager in mid-October. While we feel excited and happy in preparing for our cruise, from what I have read here, it seems that for some passengers on the Senegal itinerary, rather than feelings of excitement and happiness in preparation for their cruise, they are feeling uneasiness and anger.

I reiterate: I am not bashing Regent in any way; I simply feel that Regent has made a real mistake with the way they have handled timely communication with passengers on this itinerary, and I think that it has hurt their reputation.

Good luck to all.

Edited by HanaleiSailor

As for the silence of Regent execs on CC boards, one might note that the President of Regent, Kunal S. Kamlani, managed to interrupt his busy schedule a few minutes ago to make a post on the CC Oceania board regarding tipping.

freddie, I saw the comment posted by Kamlani. And shortly after his comment, the following was following:

And, I certainly appreciate seeing Mr. Kamlani's response on the Oceania board. It never ceases to amaze me how competent, caring and honest the top executives of Oceania and Regent area.

Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post

I guess what I am asking is, does all of the automatic tip make it to the staff?

Every single $1

KSK

I certainly appreciate seeing Mr. Kamlani's response on the Oceania board. It never ceases to amaze me how competent, caring and honest the top executives of Oceania and Regent area.

That's a pretty heavy genuflection for just a confirmation that they don't stick their hand in the tip jar. :rolleyes:

However...here is what is obvious:

Mr. Kamlani would not check one forum without checking the other. Therefore, it is a given that he has seen this thread (perhaps multiple times).

That said, it is clear (and appropriate) that no response from corporate will be here.

Regent's social media is silent on the topic. In fact, they never ever respond to any post on FB. It appears they need some dire help with social media. I am available as a consultant. :cool:

But, given the presence and the calendar, I would say that an e-mail to the passengers on this cruise will be forthcoming, perhaps even on Monday. Only a press release (which may be the wrong move) would get posted here or on FB.

When CruiseCritic editors catch wind of this ongoing thread, it will morph from a discussion to a news item. CC knows social media, and that will open the facts and fiction of this thread to the rest of the travel media.... not a good progression.

Why do you suppose that Kamlani has in recent times personally posted 33 times on the Oceania board?

I suppose we're all equal but those on Oceania are more equal than others?

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddie View Post

freddie, I saw the comment posted by Kamlani. And shortly after his comment, the following was following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post

And, I certainly appreciate seeing Mr. Kamlani's response on the Oceania board. It never ceases to amaze me how competent, caring and honest the top executives of Oceania and Regent area.

The lengths that folks will go to ensure another upgrade or free cruise

Edited by worldtravel55