1st time Scuba- Grand Cayman or Cozumel???

rene194215

So I want to try scuba and I would like to do it on the cruise coming up in Oct. I wanted to go to Nachi Cohem in Cozumel but was wondering which Island would be better to do a intro to Scuba.

Also some questions=

Is there weight limits?

Do you have to wear a suit or can you just in your bathing suit?

For the first time, would I be able to take my camera?

Thanks!!

what you are looking for is typically called a Discovery Dive

http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/padi-courses/course-catalog/try-scuba-diving/

it is a controlled introduction to diving under close supervision

Is there weight limits?

Weight alone is not a disqualifier BUT you will have to fill out a medical question form b4 you can participate.

http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/documents/padi-courses/medical-form

if you answer yes to a medical concern you will need a clearance from your doctor

High BP, diabetes, certain medications .... all can be disqualifiers and often accompany weight issues.

by 'suit' you mean a wetsuit?

Your choice ... water temperature will vary by location and time of the year. In the summer many folks are comfortable diving in their bathing suit.

In my experience no, and my opinion HECK NO. This is a class and diving has certain risks involved. You should concentrate on safety first. Even if you later complete an Open Water Certification class I would recommend leaving the camera behind until you have completed at LEAST 10 dives after completing the class .... MINIMUM.

Not too long ago I accompanied dd on two Discovery Dives while we verified she was ready for full Certification class - I've been a diver since the mid 70's and tagged along. we did one thru the ship in Cozumel, and one I set up myself with Sunset Divers in Cayman. IMO Sunset was MUCH better - and they cost the same. Sunset does not show a Discovery on their web site but e-mail them and they are HAPPY to do it

SunsetHouse.com

p.s. dd logged her 100th dive in Curacao last week . . . she's been certified for about 18 months. A picture from that dive:

1459777_10152266789835920_4924365955045495415_n.jpg

http://oceanencounters.com/nl/open-water-dolphin-dive

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt BJ, do you know anything about Cayman Turtle Divers? I have a discover scuba booked with them in Nov for me and my husband. I checked with several dive shops before booking and was comfortable with them. Did we make a good choice?

never dove with them so really can't say

OK, thanks for replying. They have excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, so that's what I'll have to go by. BTW, I did email Sunset House and they said they didn't have anything that would fit my ship's schedule, so that's why we looked into other shops.

So I want to try scuba and I would like to do it on the cruise coming up in Oct. I wanted to go to Nachi Cohem in Cozumel but was wondering which Island would be better to do a intro to Scuba.

Also some questions=

Is there weight limits?

Thanks!!

I would suggest Cozumel. Cayman has some pretty strict rules (you can't even wear gloves or you get a fine), they are protective of their underwater world, so if you make a mistake and hit something with a fin....well you know.

I did my discovery dive in Cozumel and am now certified. To answer your questions...

Weight limit...not really, I weighed 260lbs at the time.

But remember this is a sport and you WILL get a workout! (the only sport I have ever really loved...I am losing weight so I can love it more)

Swimsuits are fine...just remember you burn 2x's as fast underwater and my first time I got sun poison. You can get a long sleeve rash guard on amazon for about $20.

There is no way I would have been able to take any pictures...I was too mesmerized! But you could if you want to.

Hope that helps!

Sunset runs boats on the hotel schedule and does not adjust to a ship schedule

Sunset is one of the best shore dives on the island and you do that 100% on your own schedule

I prefer Sunset for a Discovery because of the facility. First they do the 'talking' part in a nice sit down environment. Second the skills are first practiced in their pool. Third they have the 'sea pool' which makes the first exposure to 'open water' a very controlled experience ... then you move to true open water when everyone is comfortable.

I found this much better (IMO) then a beach experience (Cozumel) which would be better than a boat on the same factors.

Sunset does not have scheduled Discovery times - I made the arrangements for times I wanted - we did the dive from Freedom of the Seas.

I admit a bias. I've been diving with Sunset since the mid 80's ... they've been in business at the same location for 42 years and are very nice folks. Probably 1/3 of the dives in my log, are with Sunset House ... 1 in 10 on the 'house reef' .. And nothing beats My Bar for after dive libations.

Sunset is one of the best shore dives on the island and you do that 100% on your own schedule

I prefer Sunset for a Discovery because of the facility. First they do the 'talking' part in a nice sit down environment. Second the skills are first practiced in their pool. Third they have the 'sea pool' which makes the first exposure to 'open water' a very controlled experience ... then you move to true open water when everyone is comfortable.

I found this much better (IMO) then a beach experience (Cozumel) which would be better than a boat on the same factors.

Sunset does not have scheduled Discovery times - I made the arrangements for times I wanted - we did the dive from Freedom of the Seas.

I admit a bias. I've been diving with Sunset since the mid 80's ... they've been in business at the same location for 42 years and are very nice folks. Probably 1/3 of the dives in my log, are with Sunset House ... 1 in 10 on the 'house reef' .. And nothing beats My Bar for after dive libations.

That all sounds great. I wish they had been available for us. Our ship is there from 8-4, so I don't know why they said no, but they did. None of the other dive shops had a problem with our schedule.:confused: Actually, now that I think about it, one shop started too early for us, if I remember correctly. Oh well, I'm sure what we have lined up will turn out fine.

I have contacted them and I got an email saying to contact someone else. Now that person has not responded and its been like 3 days. Is this typical?

if there is no room at the inn .. there's no room

Sunset is the host hotel for many special events in the diving world

like Cathy Church Photoschool classes and the current SWATCH vent thru October

dunno what might be up at this time but

it happens ...

and Pirate Week is not long after your dates if you are talking late October per first post . .

I asked my dive shop- They go down alot...Here are 4 for you to try:

Cozumel Marine World

Deep Exposure

Scuba Du- should pick you up from the dock!

Dive Paradise

Please let me know if you need some help.

You can email me and I will do my best to find something for you.

I am also trying to find the guy that I used down there...he was great...very patient!

jlcruse@live.com

Edited by cjnwildfire
forgot