Taxi to Times Square /cruise terminal

Jimsgirl

I travel solo, am very much a senior, with mobility problems, will be arriving JFK and will need transport to Times Square hotel then next day transport from hotel to Manhattan cruise terminal

I would appreciate up to date advice on the cost of the cab from JFK and then the cost of cab from Hilton Garden Hotel (Times square) to cruise terminal.

Thank you for your help.

Lynn

Although you say you have mobility problems, I'm assuming you don't need a special handicapped-accessible vehicle that has a wheelchair or mobility scooter lift.

Taxi fare between JFK and Manhattan is fixed at $52.50, plus tolls (can be $0) and tip (customarily 15 - 20 % of the fare). Alternatively you can book a car service for about the same fare (again, plus toll and tip). Two of the largest in NY City are:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

From your hotel to the pier, a taxi should be less than $10, plus tip.

I travel solo, am very much a senior, with mobility problems, will be arriving JFK and will need transport to Times Square hotel then next day transport from hotel to Manhattan cruise terminal

I would appreciate up to date advice on the cost of the cab from JFK and then the cost of cab from Hilton Garden Hotel (Times square) to cruise terminal.

Thank you for your help.

Lynn

a ny yellow taxi has a fixed rate from jfk to anywhere in Manhattan which is $52.50 plus tolls and tip. tip is 15-20% of the fare without the toll. The toll is about 5.60. a yellow cab to he cruise terminal should be 10-15.

which is better a yellow taxi or a car service?

for you who are mobility impaired I suggest a taxi will be better.

At JFK after you land you will have to get your luggage. You will probably snag a skycap to take you and the luggage to the taxi line. They will help you to the line put your luggage in front and take you to the line. In general if you are in a wheel chair they will take you to the front of the line, load you and the luggage in the cab and send you on your way(you tip them 2-3 per bag).

There are always lots of cabs at JFK.

If you take a car service, you can also take the skycap to the waiting driver if you have them meet you inside(which costs extra) or you and the skycap have to walk a little further to meet them outside and try to find them...is finding them always easy? if you have to ask you know it isn't.

Do they take the free bridge or the tunnel? In both cases yellow cab or car service the fare is a fixed fee both will charge extra for the tunnel...but their idea is to get rid of you as quickly as possible(which you want to I assume) to get on to their next customer. 99% of the time to Times square the tunnel(toll) is faster. Its all highway to Manhattan. the free bridge requires street travel in Queens.

From your hotel the doorman or bellman will get you a cab and put the luggage in. Yellow cabs are plentiful in Manhattan with some exceptions.

Car service cars tend to be a little nicer. yes the meter will click away between the hotel and the cruise terminal but it shouldn't be too bad. A car service fixed rate may cost more. If you use a hotel preferred car services(friend of the doorman) it will almost always cost you more.

That is my opinion. From my home where they are picking me up I use cars services and sometimes at the airport too...

Thank you all, that is just the information I needed.

I can walk short distances, but could not push a luggage cart, or pull my carry on, more than a very short distance. Having been stranded by Cunard rep in July, I have decided to "do my own thing" in September.

Using your figures, the Hotel I have booked (Hilton Garden Inn Times Square), taxi to hotel, taxi to terminal , I will save $300 by not using Cunard. I was asked $790 by Cunard for the same package.

Thank you again all of you.

Lynn

I would suggest you contact your airline and ask for wheelchair assistance because of the potential walking issues between the gate and the luggage drop off/pick up area.

Last Jan I slipped on the ice at my daughter's house and fell on my back on her front stairs badly bruising my back. Fortunately I was covered by insurance (missed the infamous Explorer nirovirus cruise) and a week later I was able to fly home. I was able to walk, but I knew that I just wasn't up to getting myself all the way out to the gate in Portland and all the way in from the gate in Boston, so I requested assistance - wheelchair in Portland and golf cart in Boston. It was the best thing I ever did. Solved the luggage issue by shipping it home.

Thank you all, that is just the information I needed.

I can walk short distances, but could not push a luggage cart, or pull my carry on, more than a very short distance. Having been stranded by Cunard rep in July, I have decided to "do my own thing" in September.

Using your figures, the Hotel I have booked (Hilton Garden Inn Times Square), taxi to hotel, taxi to terminal , I will save $300 by not using Cunard. I was asked $790 by Cunard for the same package.

Thank you again all of you.

Lynn

all the airlines and the airports are set up for this. is a good idea to ask in advance as it will almost always make sure that you are met...

the cabs should really be no problem...

I would suggest you contact your airline and ask for wheelchair assistance because of the potential walking issues between the gate and the luggage drop off/pick up area.

Last Jan I slipped on the ice at my daughter's house and fell on my back on her front stairs badly bruising my back. Fortunately I was covered by insurance (missed the infamous Explorer nirovirus cruise) and a week later I was able to fly home. I was able to walk, but I knew that I just wasn't up to getting myself all the way out to the gate in Portland and all the way in from the gate in Boston, so I requested assistance - wheelchair in Portland and golf cart in Boston. It was the best thing I ever did. Solved the luggage issue by shipping it home.

Excellent advice! Depending on which airline, one might have to walk FAR to get from the gate to the baggage claim at JFK. Also, I don't know about the skycaps being readily available, it depends on the time of day and the airline. For peace of mind I would arrange for the assistance service from the airline and then book a car service which offers pick up from the baggage claim. Yes, you will pay more but it will be worth it.

( The OPs home says FL so I am hoping this is a domestic flight, if it is international and you have to go through immigrations and customs first:eek:. . .)

A little bit about car service you make a reservation first. They do provide at extra cost a meet and greet. Carmelo Limo the cost at JFK is $35 for this service. They will meet you at the baggage claim with a holding a sign with your name.

The normal service from Carmelo is after you have your bags you call their number and go to the pickup point. Depends on the terminal, Terminal 8 it was the 2nd island, first was for yellow taxi's second was for any pickup.

The car is there 5 to 7 minutes after you call with a sign in the window with your name. You can also tell the dispatcher you are "Standing under the first B sign for passenger pickup".