Dress Code - Pls just helpful responses

uilleann

I have read all the responses and did a lot of research on the internet about Cunard and dress code. Frankly I hate it. But this leg of our vacation has to be by ship and the quickest trip via ship is Cunard.

You all have convinced me that If I live by my jeans and T shirt vow that, apart from stern looks by other passengers, that I can be fine till 6pm. It looks like after that, whether its a formal or casual night, other than eating in Kings court or Winter Garden.... my style of dress and I are banished from other parts of the ship.

But I would like to gamble, maybe see a show, hang out in a club, etc.

So I surrender and will bring some more formal clothing.

But... I want to minimize in weight and space what I bring. I bring a lot of other stuff (camera stuff, computer, Irish Uilleann Bagpipes) and believe me there is really no added room for clothing that I will not touch for the rest of my vacation. Its like a Cunard Weight and Space tax that I have to bear. I have checked into White Star and other luggage shipping solutions but they are all too expensive.

So this is what I was thinking. My wife has her LBD (little black dress), dress shoes, and a variety of accessories to change it up from day to day. I plan on bringing a light weight dark jacket with matching light weight dark pants, a bow tie, a couple of shirts, and a pair of comfortable (but not very stylish) dark shoes.

We figure that should take care of occasional after dinner activities and a few, not all, dining room dinners. The other dinners to be had in our room or the Kings court/ Winter Garden.

Would that work?

It still means schlepping 10lbs or so of clothing that we will not wear for the rest of the trip. But it should allow us out of the room after 6pm, have an occasional good meal at a non-buffet restaurant, and fun company at dinner.

So this is what I was thinking. My wife has her LBD (little black dress), dress shoes, and a variety of accessories to change it up from day to day. I plan on bringing a light weight dark jacket with matching light weight dark pants, a bow tie, a couple of shirts, and a pair of comfortable (but not very stylish) dark shoes.

We figure that should take care of occasional after dinner activities and a few, not all, dining room dinners. The other dinners to be had in our room or the Kings court/ Winter Garden.

Would that work?

Yes, that would work. And I'll bet you a nickel that at the end of your crossing you will be happy that you did it.

partial quote

...So this is what I was thinking. My wife has her LBD (little black dress), dress shoes, and a variety of accessories to change it up from day to day. I plan on bringing a light weight dark jacket with matching light weight dark pants, a bow tie, a couple of shirts, and a pair of comfortable (but not very stylish) dark shoes.

Would that work?

It still means schlepping 10lbs or so of clothing that we will not wear for the rest of the trip. But it should allow us out of the room after 6pm, have an occasional good meal at a non-buffet restaurant, and fun company at dinner.

From my reading of the dress code, if your dark jacket matches the trousers as you said it would, then you are wearing a dark suit. Add a dress shirt and tie and you meet the dress code for both Formal and Infomal evenings, as does your wife in her black dress.

BTW, if you don't have any further use for that dark suit, leave it with a note for your cabin steward rather than schlepping it or paying more that it's worth to store. (Just don't leave it in your cabin closet upon disembarkation, or it will go to whatever Cunard calls the Lost and Found Department :)

Edited by Salacia

Hi sheltieluv the air line you are thinking of is Ryan air. Is your screen name any thing to do with sheltie dogs, if so they are my favourite breed.

Catherine

I'm not aware of any Ryan Air flights from Southampton :)

As far as I am aware the only line that flies Southampton Dublin is FlyBe

(see http://www.southamptonairport.com/ & http://www.flybe.com)

Hope this helps:)

Edited by KarenR_UK

I plan on bringing a light weight dark jacket with matching light weight dark pants, a bow tie, a couple of shirts, and a pair of comfortable (but not very stylish) dark shoes.

If this is attire you do not currently have I have a suggestion. ake it for what it's worth ; -)

You local salvation army/goodwill/fivedollarstore has a rack of suits some other schmuck bought because he had to also, hardly wore and then out grew or whatever. They are hanging there looking like new for between 10 and 20 bucks. You can prolly find a few nice dress shirts over on the shirt rack, and I am amazed sometimes by how nice the ties are. A bow tie might be a bit harder to find used, but you never know. I love a bow tie ; -)

Then you really can leave it on the ship with out a second thought!

Sara

north east girl--Yes, we have a Sheltie---he's getting to be quite an old boy, 12 and 1/2, and he's our pride and joy. He's given us many laughs through the years. Thanks for the name of the airline!

briggitetom--we don't mind buffets, (in fact, my husband really enjoys them) so I'm glad to know we'll be comfortable there. Thank you!

Hi sheltieluv, sorry the airline did not suit your needs. I should have checked before I posted.

We love Shelties as well, we have our 3rd dog our other 2 lived to 13 and 14 years. Cassie is 3 so should be in our lives for quite sometime.

Catherine

Are people seriously suggesting that they think it is appropriate to leave their unwanted clothes for the stewards and butlers???

What do you suggest passengers do with clothes they don't want to pack at the end of their cruise? Can't throw it overboard, and the waste paper baskets in the cabins are very small. If garments are left behind, and found hanging in the closet with no instructions, the stewards would have no way of knowing if the items were left behind intentionally or simply forgotten.

Is there something wrong with saying (or leaving a note for the steward) something to the effect of "I don't want take this with me at disembarkation. Would you please do with it what you think best? Thanks."

If you have a better way of disposing unwanted clothing at the end of a cruise, please share with group :D

Edited by Salacia

Are people seriously suggesting that they think it is appropriate to leave their unwanted clothes for the stewards and butlers???
I was curious about this suggestion as well.

I'm from the UK and have not heard, over here, of leaving unwanted/dirty/grubby/torn/worn/wrong size clothes for the room cleaner.

Or dumping them on the Front Desk as you "check-out"... "this is cheap, nasty and in very poor taste, so I thought you'd like it"...

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this sort of thing? Maybe someone with inside knowledge of the Motel/Hotel/Cruise industry would care to comment? I think it an appalling and demeaning idea, but am willing to be corrected.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Salacia,

Thanks for your post :)

... If garments are left behind, and found hanging in the closet with no instructions, the stewards would have no way of knowing if the items were left behind intentionally or simply forgotten.
Does it matter? Once you've disembarked I mean. You've left them behind.
Is there something wrong with saying (or leaving a note for the steward) something to the effect of "I don't want take this with me at disembarkation. Would you please do with it what you think best? Thanks."
So, other than hand it in to lost property, what are you suggesting might be the other options?

Have you thought how your suggestion might come across?

Thanks, and best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Salacia,

Thanks for your post :)

Does it matter? Once you've disembarked I mean. You've left them behind.

So, other than hand it in to lost property, what are you suggesting might be the other options?

Have you thought how your suggestion might come across?

Thanks, and best wishes.

Passengers have left various things in their cabin unintentionally. I know someone who left a ring in her cabin safe (apparently it was obscured under the felt padding when she cleaned out her safe). When she realized she left it behind, she called Cunard to see if had been found. So, yes, I would say it does matter if you leave something behind intentionally. Seems to me that it would be helpful to make that clear by leaving a note. Otherwise, I would imagine it would involve more work for the crew to bring found items to the Lost and Found Department (or whatever it's called) and complete in the necessary paperwork.

Again, I repeat: Is there something wrong with saying (or leaving a note for the steward) something to the effect of "I don't want take this with me at disembarkation. Would you please do with it what you think best? Thanks." Personally, I see nothing offensive in that statement.

Please, do what you consider to be the best way to dispose of clothes to large to fit in the waste paper basket in the cabin. Or are you suggesting that just leaving whatever you don't want to pack in the cabin with no note?

I certainly agree with you that "dumping" unwanted items at the Front Desk would be terribly rude, but I don't think anyone here suggested doing such a thing.

BTW, I've never left unwanted clothing behind when I disembarked, but I have left unopened bottles of wine and unopened bottles of water several times. I left them on the desk in my cabin with a note for the cabin steward. On more than one occasion, we've had the cabin stewards that we had on previous cruises, and their was never any indication that they had been offended by our actions - quite the opposite, in fact. -S

Edited by Salacia

What in the world is wrong with giving stuff away? As long as you make it clear that that is your intention and that the stuff isn't filthy or stolen.
Hi pmb1,

And you're right of course. Nothing. So take the clothes home, clean them, press them, take them to a charity shop. I've one just around the corner from where I live. They pass on the clothes to worthy causes in this country, and the third world.

My worries are that some people won't leave clean, pressed, still wearable clothes.

If someone is leaving clothes behind, there has to be a reason.

And that it could appear as a "Lady Bountiful" act (as I outlined above) to crew members who, as far as I have been able to observe, are well dressed when off duty (sometimes better than some passengers).

Sorry if I've not made myself clear, that is my fault entirely :( .

Best wishes to you :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi pmb1,

And you're right of course. Nothing. So take the clothes home, clean them, press them, take them to a charity shop. I've one just around the corner from where I live. They pass on the clothes to worthy causes in this country, and the third world.

My worries are that some people won't leave clean, pressed, still wearable clothes.

If someone is leaving clothes behind, there has to be a reason.And that it could appear as a "Lady Bountiful" act (as I outlined above) to crew members who, as far as I have been able to observe, are well dressed when off duty (sometimes better than some passengers).

Sorry if I've not made myself clear, that is my fault entirely :( .

Best wishes to you :) .

Yes, and sometimes the reasons vary...some don't want to pack them either because they won't fit in their suitcase after having made purchases during their holiday, or they are going on a continued trip that does not require formal evening attire, or they don't want to pay for storage or additional baggage charges, ...and the list goes on...

Anyway, packing unwanted items and bringing them home for donation is a very nice idea. But it doesn't always work for possible reasons outlined above.

I know someone who left a ring in her cabin safe (apparently it was obscured under the felt padding when she cleaned out her safe). When she realized she left it behind, she called Cunard to see if had been found.
I've left a charger behind unintentionally (it was in 5032 QM2 in 2006 if anyone has got it ;) ).
Again, I repeat: Is there something wrong with saying (or leaving a note for the steward) something to the effect of "I don't want take this with me at disembarkation. Would you please do with it what you think best? Thanks." ... Please, do what you consider to be the best way to dispose of clothes to large to fit in the waste paper basket in the cabin.
I take them home with me, I brought them on board, I take them off the ship. I'm sure a hard-working steward would prefer to see an empty cabin/wardrobes to clean, rather have to dispose of unwanted (poss dirty) clothes, and little hand-written notes to decipher, all on "turn-around" day.
... I have left unopened bottles of wine and unopened bottles of water several times.
As have I. They are not "cast-offs".

Sorry if we are not going to agree about this, we are all different and have different ways of looking at the same thing I suppose.

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Pepper, I understand you disagree with my suggestion about leaving unclothes with a note for the cabin steward. And I understand and agree with your suggestion that [ideally] unwanted clothes be taken home and cleaned prior to donation at a local charity. But what I'm not clear on is what you feel is the best way to dispose of unwanted clothes that passengers do not want to pack and take home? (I'm not trying to be difficult here as I am honestly open to suggestion, and I do value your opinion.) Thanks. S.

Pepper, I understand you disagree with my suggestion about leaving unclothes with a note for the cabin steward. And I understand and agree with your suggestion that [ideally] unwanted clothes be taken home and cleaned prior to donation at a local charity. But what I'm not clear on is what you feel is the best way to dispose of unwanted clothes that passengers do not want to pack and take home? (I'm not trying to be difficult here as I am honestly open to suggestion, and I do value your opinion.) Thanks. S.

Assuming we're not talking a whole wardrobe of clothes, unwanted items could be folded up and left by the cabin bin the day before disembarking, thus indicating they are for disposal, any which way.

Thank you Salacia,

I'm also not trying to be difficult, and am honestly trying to see your point of view, and I value those views :) . OK, I'll imagine... I'm on a long cruise, bought far too many gifts, no room for everything. I think what I'd do, in these exceptional circumstances (I'm afraid I'm one of those nerds who makes certain there is spare room for gifts in cases when leaving home) is to speak to the steward the day before the last and ask him/her what he/she would like me to do. Just leave things for after I've vacated the cabin, or does he/she want them now? I'd make certain that all was cleaned/washed.

How's that for a compromise between our different points of view? :) ;) :)

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn