Favorite Dessert or Main entree

gigi65

Wow, lots of you like the lamb shank. I think that's the dish 3 out of 5 of us ordered a few years ago and we all sent it back and re-ordered something else. Maybe it was a bad night, but it tasted horrible and we are not fussy eaters. Unless there is another dish with the work "shank" in it, I think this was it. We felt "shanked" :) Or is there such a thing as "beef shank"? I wonder if I should give it another chance on Jewel next month if they have it.

Count me as another vote for the lamb shank. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it. If you're not expecting well-done meat, it may not be your thing, and maybe the sauce wasn't to your taste (or maybe there was something more seriously wrong--I hope not!). You can always order it and a second entrée as a backup in case it's not right again.

There are beef, pork, and veal shanks as well, just not part of Royal's menu. They are a flavorful, but bony, cut of meat that requires long, slow roasting or braising and develops a rich flavor and texture.

I don't like fruit and especially blueberries or peaches but for some reason I really like the blueberry peach Crumble served the 1st night.

The Creme Brûlée can be hit or miss for sure. I had it where it was decent and another time where the caramelized sugar top, instead of being a crisp crust, reminded me of a flap of human skin. :eek: I folded it back and it kind of did me in for dessert that night. Truly awful.

Hmmm...maybe they only pull it our on the longer itineraries? It was a choice on the 14 day Brilliance TA this Spring?

There was a delicious tomato risotto with seafood on the MDR lunch menu on Freedom in June! I didn't see a seafood risotto for dinner though.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of the chilled soups. Never thought I would but once we discovered them we could have several of them a night. Of them all, the banana is our least favorite BUT that said, it is still good! Try them!

Oh, hubby says they need to serve it with a straw!

Going on first cruise in Feb next year. After reading so many posts,I'm prepared to be less than wowed by the food. Hopefully we get some beauty's to remember like you guys have posted. Thanks.

No offense, but this is completely the wrong attitude to go into your cruise with. The majority of people who go on cruises love the food and are amazed by the taste and quality. If you don't like what you ordered just get something different. Don't become jaded by all of the negativity that gets posted on these board. Remember that people are about 20x more likely to post a complaint than a compliment. So, figure that for every negative review on here there was probably at least 20 others that were happy and/or amazed, but didn't post anything. You can't please everybody all of the time and some people you can please none of the time. The latter are the ones who like to post a lot on cruise critic. End of Rant.

Oh, and I'd also like to vote for those little potato croquets (if you don't order the entree they come with just order a plate of them as a side!). They are so yummy!!!! I suspect a ton of people don't even know they exist.

OK, two questions...

1) What does BBB stand for in the BBB Creme Brûlée?

2) What exactly IS Chocolate Sensation? I've seen it on the menus I've seen, but nothing ever explains it.

I never saw anyone answer your Question # 1: BBB = Bailey's Irish cream-flavored creme brulee with caramalized bananas

This was delish, but on our last cruise we also had a chocolate coffee souffle that blew everything else out of the water.

Several years ago they discontinued the grand marnier souffle and it was replaced with the chocolate souffle. I preferred the former much better! ;) I was so happy when they brought it back with the new menus.

No offense, but this is completely the wrong attitude to go into your cruise with. The majority of people who go on cruises love the food and are amazed by the taste and quality. If you don't like what you ordered just get something different. Don't become jaded by all of the negativity that gets posted on these board. Remember that people are about 20x more likely to post a complaint than a compliment. So, figure that for every negative review on here there was probably at least 20 others that were happy and/or amazed, but didn't post anything. You can't please everybody all of the time and some people you can please none of the time. The latter are the ones who like to post a lot on cruise critic. End of Rant.

Well no offence but you don't know me from a bar of soap,so keep your rants to yourself. Did I say it was rubbish? Didn't I say I hope to have nice food?

People having a go at others is also the norm on here I have noticed as well.

Thanks.

Your waiter will do whatever he can to please you!

I learned several cruises ago that if you asked your waiter on the first night he would arrange for the table to have:

- A Shrimp Cocktail For Everyone Every night

- A Fresh Fruit Plate every night

- A Cheese Plate Every Night

Always remember the Cruiser's Creed:

"If You don't Ask, You Don't Get!"

Well no offence but you don't know me from a bar of soap,so keep your rants to yourself. Did I say it was rubbish? Didn't I say I hope to have nice food?

People having a go at others is also the norm on here I have noticed as well.

Thanks.

It seems that you forgot exactly what you posted: "I'm prepared to be less than wowed by the food.". This is the comment I was addressing. I didn't say anything mean or rude. Maybe you should be a little bit less snippy. I didn't know that I needed to know you better than a bar of soap to post a reply on Cruise Critic. My bad.

If you asked me what the best thing I ate was, I'd have an entirely different answer for every cruise! The lamb shank was delicious on the Navigator, inedible on the Splendour. The strawberry pavlova was delicious on the Splendour, less good on the Legend. The rack of lamb on the Legend was perfect, but the Mexican beef salad was awful.