Barcelona disembarkation

Cookie77

The Barcelona Terminals would all allow for self disembarkation. The fingers connecting the terminal to the ship are accessible and easy to roll luggage. You have an escalator down at the end.

If you are on a Barcelona R/T or European sailing both escalators take you down directly to the baggage claim area. If you are on a TA or non-Schengen sailing originating in the UK Europeans take the escalator to the left and have no passport control and non-Europeans must clear immigration with the line forming at the bottom of the right escalator. Both escalators are set on down during disembarkation.

The Barcelona Terminal is very good though and if your cruise line has put you on the early disembark number, luggage is placed on automated baggage carousels as each number is called. You, therefore, do not need to carry off the luggage unless you want to.

Taxis will be waiting directly on first passenger disembarkation with no wait. A line sometimes forms later with about a 15 minute maximum wait.

We recently had to wait around 45 mins in the lounge for a taxi off Equinox in Barcelona. This was around 9.30.

Lesson learnt - I will plan ahead with a reservation next time.

In the lounge? The taxi ranks are outside just to the right. Have to walk out to end of line. As you come out of terminal, there is a sidewalk going up under cover. You walk past those at the front of the line and about 20 taxis can pull up at one time at each terminal.

Depending on ship, the line usually does not form until around 8:00. I disembarked on May 18th, which was the busiest day of this season and waits were maybe 30 minutes or so after 09:30 then.

If you were waiting inside, those taxis pulling up there are dropping people off at the terminal.

In the lounge? The taxi ranks are outside just to the right. Have to walk out to end of line. As you come out of terminal, there is a sidewalk going up under cover. You walk past those at the front of the line and about 20 taxis can pull up at one time at each terminal.

Depending on ship, the line usually does not form until around 8:00. I disembarked on May 18th, which was the busiest day of this season and waits were maybe 30 minutes or so after 09:30 then.

If you were waiting inside, those taxis pulling up there are dropping people off at the terminal.

We excited the terminal and walked across the road to the covered area. The line of people waiting was the full length of the covered area where it doubled back and was almost the full length back toward the terminal. I guess around 400 people waiting. The loading area handles only 5 maybe 6 cars at once. There were lots of taxis waiting to load but the 'police' were controlling it. We saw many people exit the terminal after us to meet a pre-arranged car while we waited.

Hard to know if this is typical as we have not got a taxi at that time on our previous visits.

I do recall a long line on another occasion leaving a ship, but thought it was moving more quickly that time.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Is it possible to carry our own luggage off the ship to disembark in Barcelona? Do we have to go through customs when we leave the ship? Just trying to expedite our departure as we have a fairly early flight .

How early is early. Be aware the taxis can't pickup until 7:00.

How early is early. Be aware the taxis can't pickup until 7:00.

I have heard someone else make this claim. Where is this coming from?

I have sailed in an out of Barcelona frequently and when I have arrived there have always been taxis waiting as soon as the ship was cleared. I see them from my balcony as we pull in at 4 AM with all the little green lights on entry to the port.

Just to confirm, if we have an 11:15am flight out of Barcelona to the US we would get to the airport early enough if we disembarked with our luggage? (We will be in the YC)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does not MSC come into port a little later usually? NCL Epic is often coming in at 4 AM and RCI ships by 5 AM or so, but seem to recall MSC usually having later disembarkation.

Barcelona is an extremely well run port and one of the reasons they stager the disembarkation times is to prevent overcrowding.

If you are scheduled for 09:00, NO WAY is this possible.

Uh oh. I think we are. I guess a night in Barcelona at the end of the trip is in order. There is nothing later than 11:40am. Thanks for your reply.

You could probably connect to the Iberia flight from Madrid to Miami at around 5 PM, if you wanted to keep moving, but if your disembarkation is confirmed at 09:00 it would be tough to make the direct flights.

I see your location as well, it might be cost prohibitive, but another route is to get up to London Gatwick for the night and then get the direct British Airways flight into Tampa the next morning. You can get a layover almost anywhere in Europe on the 24 hour rule as well.

Hello!

If you book 11:40 am flight from BCN you have to be at the airport 3 hrs before. That's about 8: 40 am. Assume that you bring out your own luggage and explain this to the staff on the ship, they will let you out as soon as possible if you are ready with your luggage to disembark. If your ship does not dock until 9 am forget about morning flight.Don't forget some times the immigration may delay the starting of disembarkation. If the ship docks at 5 am it may not usually take 2 hrs for immigration check. Last time we were in BCN, we were out at the La Ramblas by 9am, in 2012.

Wish you the best!

Hello!

If you book 11:40 am flight from BCN you have to be at the airport 3 hrs before. That's about 8: 40 am. Assume that you bring out your own luggage and explain this to the staff on the ship, they will let you out as soon as possible if you are ready with your luggage to disembark. If your ship does not dock until 9 am forget about morning flight.Don't forget some times the immigration may delay the starting of disembarkation. If the ship docks at 5 am it may not usually take 2 hrs for immigration check. Last time we were in BCN, we were out at the La Ramblas by 9am, in 2012.

Wish you the best!

Thank you. Just to be safe and not have to panic on the last day of vacation, we will just stay overnight.

According to new information I read on the boards, if the flight is leaving for USA, it is advised/required? to check in 3 hrs before the flight time. Better check with the airlines .

For European/ domestic, I think it is still 2 hrs before the flight time.

Recently, I booked a flt from BCN to Seville on Ryanair. The airlines directions are to check in 1 hr before but needs to be at the gate 40 mts before the flt time to guarantee the seat.

It is confusing to me. They may need extra time because of the safety checks, perhaps.

Is there some one out there knew what is going on with this? Please let us know.

While non-Schengen flights do require a passport control prior to heading to the gate area and US flights do have an additional gate security check, AENA the Spanish Airport Authority, has not put any of their airports on 3 hour advice. They remain at 2 hour prior, currently.

The new Barcelona terminal is quite nice, with diverse shopping and even an outdoor courtyard with Starbucks and passengers do appreciate having some extra time there before moving to their flight, but 2 hours is deemed appropriate as they have a very well staffed security check area and it moves quite well at most times.

Thank you. Just to be safe and not have to panic on the last day of vacation, we will just stay overnight.

Smart move. ;) Plus the city is gorgeous in the evening. A nice chance to extend the vacation without feeling stressed that last night on the ship. have a great time