Do Not Choose This Cruise Line

pepc2

Wow, Kat! A map for the buffet! Now, I'm so conflicted. I haven't heard good things about the food, so, I was gonna hit the buffet at night and go to each show twice. That's what I did on RCCL and CCL. Now, I'm thinking I SHOULD go to the dining room, I'm so turned around. Also, I can "ring the changes" by having wine with dinner in the MDR, get my money's worth, so to speak. :confused::confused:

I went to four of the shows on my recent Preziosa trip and whilst they were fun, they were only 40mins long and I wouldn't have been interested in going twice. One of them completely baffled me and I was all 'what the heck'-y for days afterwards. Maybe I should have seen that one twice because I sure couldn't work it out the first time.

Anyway, all that aside, you can't go wrong with a nice leisurely sit down meal with wine. Its part of the Mediterranean way and you really should try it at least once.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

:) When in Rome.....:)

Exactly!

Dinner in buffets are really not as good as lunch time where they seem to have far more available and wider range of choice. It is a far cry from MDR experience. I've only used the buffet a couple of times when I was feeling under the weather and did not want to inflict my coughing on tablemates for a couple of hours and it was not great. Mind you I wasn't feeling great, so may have influenced my impression.

It could be very different on US sailings but elsewhere, dinner in the MDR is the principle part of the evening with other things like shows and live music and other entertainment fitting around it. I mostly enjoy the shows but I can't think of many (other than a couple of classical concerts that were standing room only at the back) that I'd want to forego the pleasure of dining (as opposed to grabbing a quick bit of food) to see a second time, but each to their own and what suits them.

AB, Can you look at this video for me, it says it is the Divina buffet and frankly, it is less than inspiring. Don't get me wrong, I'll find something to eat, but, this buffet seems very basic and not presented very well. I'd love to hear your take on it. Is this the whole buffet? :confused:

Starting at one end of the buffet and by the time you finish at the other end of the buffet, even the pickiest eater 'should' have a plate full of food!

An example can be explained this way, there was always a fish, chicken, and red meat every night in the buffet, but there would be a night where there were 4 different types of chicken, and fewer selections of fish and red meat! The next night there would be more fish selections, with fewer chicken and red meat, and the next night more red meat selections with fewer fish and chicken selections! But you could always find something!

We cruised the RCL Oasis class ships, both Oasis and Allure, and in our opinion, Divina had the better buffet!:)

PS Easily the best buffet pizza!:)

Edited by American Bear

AB, Can you look at this video for me, it says it is the Divina buffet and frankly, it is less than inspiring. Don't get me wrong, I'll find something to eat, but, this buffet seems very basic and not presented very well. I'd love to hear your take on it. Is this the whole buffet? :confused:

Buffet dinner on the Divina (video).

This is the full tour of the buffet dinner.

It is what it is on the video.

Some trays are almost finished but you can see what was on them.

Soups station was quick - just note that it was there.

I will post detailed buffet review in my MSC Divina Confidential Review.

I would not use a word "selections" in connection with this buffet dinner.

This word does not apply to Divina buffet dinner at all.

There were items like one of each (meat - not always!, chicken - always, fish - always) - that "selection" could be extended by one more item of each kind a night. Carving station (one item) - every night.

We monitored evening buffet every night. Never I saw more than 2 items of each kind.

Half empty buffet with miserable food.

This is the worst buffet dinner I have ever seen cruising on all major cruise lines.

The only buffet that is worse - Costa where there is no evening buffet at all.

We cruised the RCL Oasis class ships, both Oasis and Allure, and in our opinion, Divina had the better buffet!:)

PS Easily the best buffet pizza!:)

AB, Allure has been my best cruise to date, but, I must agree with you, the buffet was terrible! And, small!! I only used it once and I am a buffet girl. I ended up eating at the other restaurants instead, Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets, etc,

Cruisetrail, Thank You for your advice. This has all convinced me to do the MDR for dinner. I will save the buffet for lunch and maybe a few breakfasts.