Do Not Choose This Cruise Line

pepc2

How about sharing some of the things that make you love this ship/cruise line so much? We're doing our first MSC in Sept and I'm genuinely interested.

check out our thread on 'divina extreme reviews' in this forum, that'll give you a lot of info both about the ship, and the reviewers!

3) As far as anyone getting upset over reviews, it sounds like you're the one upset, we're totally happy, and saved $1000. !:eek:

Exactly! Just enjoy life and get on with it. You may not like everything about MSC, but you won't have a bad vacation because of them. That's my opinion.

About bar tenders, they're really good! Sometimes they just pass by and you can ask them drinks. In very crowded areas, just go to the bar, we sailed in a full Fantasia class ship and never experienced any queue at any bar! Bar tenders in Europe are a very nice mix of Europeans and Asians / Latin Americans. They seemed to get along well, and looked quite happy. That is important to us.

CruiseGal,

I decided to give them another chance because I spoke to the MSC travel agent and they assured me that was why they brought over the Divina it was more American Friendly and that they had listened to the concerns well it fell on deaf ears because things are the same and knowing this I won't choose it again.

Thank you for identifying one of the MSC cruise ships from which you offered your review...all reviews are welcome by me...However, we are taking the MSC Divina in January of 2015 and expect to have a great time...mainly because even on our worst cruise of 30+, we had a great time...we love to cruise. :):):):)

Excellent and useful article. Have to say that the one that pushes my "hot button" is the "it's wrong" rather than just being different.

This article could easily be adapted to apply to some of my fellow Brits travelling overseas.

Agreed, an excellent article.

The overriding theme is adapt, adapt, adapt! This is not just so for travel but for life. Travel highlights the ways in which we need to continually adapt. Well-travelled people, and I don't mean staying in chain hotels or on U.S. cruise ships, tend to be more rounded, better balanced people more capable of communicating with their fellow citizens of the planet.

That the article has to point out the need to pick up a few words and phrases for the country or countries being visited is a little shocking. When in Rome ... it is courteous in the least and necessary in the most.

When travelling one carries one's own culture inevitably but it should be discreet, light and with an attitude of discovery and learning.

I am not a "smart American". I tend to be quite smart (formally dressed) on a cruise but, despite living in five countries to date, remain an open-minded English traveller, with a fair amount of incurable Yorkshireness. I like my pork pies as much as my tapas, mezes and horiatiko salads. I am not appalled that MSC does not have any of these. Just another experience....

My O/H loves MSC we have only been on The Opera as i wont fly ,but he had a fantastic cruise last year with them & every one got to know his name cos he went in for the MSC factor a talent competition ,the only reason we aren't on her this year is we have an old dog that needs us so we have to stop cruising for a while ,maybe thats why they are not sailing from the UK next year :rolleyes:

My O/H loves MSC we have only been on The Opera as i wont fly ,but he had a fantastic cruise last year with them & every one got to know his name cos he went in for the MSC factor a talent competition ,the only reason we aren't on her this year is we have an old dog that needs us so we have to stop cruising for a while ,maybe thats why they are not sailing from the UK next year :rolleyes:

Yes, I became better 'known' to the crew after dying my hair green for Italian night (I didn't have anything green to wear and came across the green hair spray ashore). The next morning, members of crew I had never noticed before were saying things like "oh, you don't have green hair today". We think we practically invisible among the tens of thousands of guests that the crew deal with in just one contract period but in actual fact, we provide the entertainment to the crew in what would otherwise be very repetitive hospitality roles.

With all this talk of "are the crew/staff friendly?", perhaps a better question is "are the guests friendly?". Sow and reap rewards!

Apart from a particularly dour, permanently-disapproving, miserable headmistress of a waitress we encountered on one ship, who we appropriately nicknamed 'Bubbles', MSC service in my experience has been absolutely first rate and faultless. MSC is my preferred cruise line for this reason alone.

Choose this cruise line!

Agreed, an excellent article.

The overriding theme is adapt, adapt, adapt! This is not just so for travel but for life. Travel highlights the ways in which we need to continually adapt. Well-travelled people, and I don't mean staying in chain hotels or on U.S. cruise ships, tend to be more rounded, better balanced people more capable of communicating with their fellow citizens of the planet.

That the article has to point out the need to pick up a few words and phrases for the country or countries being visited is a little shocking. When in Rome ... it is courteous in the least and necessary in the most.

When travelling one carries one's own culture inevitably but it should be discreet, light and with an attitude of discovery and learning.

I am not a "smart American". I tend to be quite smart (formally dressed) on a cruise but, despite living in five countries to date, remain an open-minded English traveller, with a fair amount of incurable Yorkshireness. I like my pork pies as much as my tapas, mezes and horiatiko salads. I am not appalled that MSC does not have any of these. Just another experience....

Totally agree Tim!

I remember our first trip to London, we stopped at a fish and chips shop, and the fish had skin on it:eek:, (fried fish in a batter in the US doesn't have skin) and not liking the skin, we didn't throw a fit, we just pulled the skin off!:D

And we enjoyed it!

And yes we tried the pork pies, yum, but passed on the blood pudding and blood sausage!:D

Why would anyone take a vacation to a different country, or on a different cruise line, and not expect 'different'! DUH!:)

We enjoy different, its a sort of modern exploration!

I booked our trip in October completely based on price. I have 3 people in a balcony for $1500. Which to me is a good deal and very few land vacations could I include my room, food and entertainment. I am looking forward to trying a new cruise line. Though I am a bit concerned with others in our traveling party. I worry that it may be too different for them. Though I pretty much go with the flow, it really does take quite a bit to get me upset.

My mother has sailed twice with MSC, once on the Divina. She had a wonderful time and I think her and I pretty much like and enjoy the same things. So I figure if she liked it then we should too. Only thing is I wish Divina had aft balconies that would hold 3 people. My mother booked one for just herself, buy my husband and I have our daughter in our cabin and I really do like the aft balconies.

I am not crazy about constantly being bothered to buy something, especially with the photographers. I hate taking my photo, would love a cruise line that didn't intrude on my dinners taking photos.

I just was reading the posts as I too am booked on MSC. I live here in Miami and have had my share of horrible cruises with the mass market cruise lines. For the people who just are expecting perfection this is a fairytale. All these cruise lines all have good and bad. I believe its what you make of it. Trying to laugh with friends or making new ones and a glass of wine like you just enjoying it. Its bad that people always expect. Because when you expect you get let down. Just go and enjoy and make the best of every opportunity that life gives you. Have a great time!!!

I am not crazy about constantly being bothered to buy something, especially with the photographers. I hate taking my photo, would love a cruise line that didn't intrude on my dinners taking photos.

I never allow the photographers to take my photo.

At embarkation I'll let them know I'm not interested (although on my recent sailing from Venice, the MSC crew tried to insist that I have one taken and, just as I decided to go with it rather than make a fuss, I was waved on as they were too busy to push it).

At dinnertimes, when I see them approach the table I just raise my hand, avoid eye contact, shake my head to indicate "No thank you" and they move on.

We don't care to have pictures taken on the ship either, the butler will usually let the photographer know that we aren't interested,,but we will on our upcoming sailing, only because it's our 3 year old nephews' first cruise and we will want to bring those memories home with us.:)

To be honest with you, I don't even think of it as an 'Italian ship' - it was a cruise that we went on and enjoyed, despite my child having a very stressful reaction to new places /food /situations (perhaps much as some of the MSC haters might have experienced!). The different culture/languages/styles really didn't have an impact on our experience, beyond the fact that all the new experiences triggered my child - but that wasn't ship specific - it happened the moment we hit Europe.

We are taking our eight year old son overseas in December and I must admit that I am very worried about a similar scenario. He has anxiety issues and a very limited list of foods that he will eat - for instance he won't eat anything that is brown or tinged brown (e.g. toast) except chocolate. He also is very sensitive to taste changes so I am worried that he will freak out at the different taste of the water, the yogurt, the milk, the ketchup etc. He's probably going to end up living off apples and french fries for the entire three weeks because of the weird foreign food that he won't be able to handle. Even our favourite standby of plain pasta will probably be unavailable to him due to the American conviction that kids love their macaroni smothered in cheese sauce. :(

We are taking our eight year old son overseas in December and I must admit that I am very worried about a similar scenario. He has anxiety issues and a very limited list of foods that he will eat - for instance he won't eat anything that is brown or tinged brown (e.g. toast) except chocolate. He also is very sensitive to taste changes so I am worried that he will freak out at the different taste of the water, the yogurt, the milk, the ketchup etc. He's probably going to end up living off apples and french fries for the entire three weeks because of the weird foreign food that he won't be able to handle. Even our favourite standby of plain pasta will probably be unavailable to him due to the American conviction that kids love their macaroni smothered in cheese sauce. :(

Kat,I am absolutely positive,that you can order just plain pasta or pasta with butter for your son. It is not my personal experience but I read it MANY times on CC,not only on this forum;some kids are just like that and enjoy it.

On a Disney cruise plain pasta will be available do not worry American Kids like plain food.

We are just off the Divina and I can let you know for sure that you can get plain pasta for lunch or dinner in the dining room. Our son had plain pasta for dinner each night with marinara sauce on the side (in a separate dish). There are good pastries in the morning that have chocolate in them and the fries are very good.

You might want to pack some shelf stable familiar food items to take the edge off his hunger - might help reduce overall anxiety at mealtime. We will be travelling with Mr Noodles (she eats them raw if allowed) and dill pickle seasoning this time. At one restaurant in Rome last year, I paid 20 euros for a plain chicken breast that she wouldn't eat because they decorated the plate with olive oil despite my requests for chicken and only chicken. It is amazing how far she has come lately with some of her issues (some foods are now allowed to touch and the olive oil probably wouldn't phase her). She is already talking about the Yacht Club stash of Pringles in the mini bar, so I think we may be ok this time around. Last year the only thing that salvaged Europe for her was me finding dill pickle Pringles in a high end Parisian grocery store in the imported food section and the prevalence of chocolate croissants - chocolate heals all!

We are just off the Divina and I can let you know for sure that you can get plain pasta for lunch or dinner in the dining room. Our son had plain pasta for dinner each night with marinara sauce on the side (in a separate dish). There are good pastries in the morning that have chocolate in them and the fries are very good.

Good to hear about the pasta! That and her current enjoyment of steak (a food fairly new on her list of good eats) might salvage the dining room experience for me.

Yay for plain pasta!

He's an odd one. He loves butter chicken and tacos but he won't touch hamburgers if they have anything more than ketchup and burger patty in them. We are trying to introduce him to more things and I am hopeful that this trip will extend his boundaries a bit more. When we took him to Australia to some of the theme parks there he fell in love with roller coasters - after previously refusing to get on anything more challenging than a dodgem car. He gets nervous about all kinds of things including having his feet exposed in public and being in water. We are currently encouraging him to consider putting his head under water since we will be going to the Caribbean and he will want to see the sea life.

This is part of the reason we chose Disney as they have an excellent reputation for being child-focussed. However this was before we sailed on the Preziosa and I can confidently say that the MSC staff we encountered were wonderful with the children who sailed. We had several families seated around us in the dining room and the wait staff were amazing - from special meals to magic tricks!