Private tour recommendation

paac11

We are going on a cruise in September 2014 to Cozumel, George Town cayman and Jamaica, and we would like to know if any of y'all have any recommendations for any private excursions. It's our first time doing a 7 day cruise and we are a little lost on what to do :/

I really appreciate it!

It really depends on what you like to do. Are you taking kids? Do you like to dive or snorkel? Are you beach people? Grand cayman is good for feeding the sting rays at sting ray city. Cozumel is also water based. Go on a small group catamaran...lots of fun for swimming and snorkelling. If you scuba dive, I suggest using the ship's excursion even though they tend to go to two very easy dive sites instead of something a little more interesting. Jamaica? Not MY favourite but it could be yours. Be a little more careful of your surroundings here than elsewhere.

It's very difficult for people to comment as what I might like may not be your cup of tea. Besides, you'll likely to be back and you cannot see everything in one visit.

Whatever you do just have a good time.

We are going on a cruise in September 2014 to Cozumel, George Town cayman and Jamaica, and we would like to know if any of y'all have any recommendations for any private excursions. It's our first time doing a 7 day cruise and we are a little lost on what to do :/

I really appreciate it!

For Cozumel, I booked an excursion through Viator last November. It was a Jeep tour around Cozumel. Great tour. Coming from someone who's cruised to Cozumel about a million times.

I really appreciate it!

Welcome to the wealth of knowledge that is Cruise Critic. There are boards for each island you are looking for. There are specifically questions just like this. It might be helpful to take a look around and see what others are talking about.

Cozumel

Cayman

Jamaica

In Cozumel, we like the Cozumel Bar Hop. Go to the Cozumel Cruise Critic Forum and put it in the search engine. It was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone, even the non-drinkers in our group-- we've done it twice.

Cozumel - Nachi Cocum - All inclusive beach club. Includes drinks and meal. Will need to pay extra for massages, kayak, mat.

Jamaica - Falmouth - Jamaican Culinary Tour - Great way to see Falmouth on walking tour and sample some local cuisine

Do an Internet search for both of these options.

If you scuba dive, I suggest using the ship's excursion even though they tend to go to two very easy dive sites instead of something a little more interesting.

Would you elaborate on that? I'm doing Freedom next year and don't see much in the way of diving in Labadee or Fallmouth, but am considering an early dive in Grand Caymen so I can join the rest of my party at 7 mile and am thinking of doing Nachi at Cozumel.

We really enjoyed Chankanaab in Cozumel. It's very reasonable ($21/day, I think), and a very short cab ride from port. For the fastidious among us, Chankanaab has the cleanest, nicest showers and changing rooms I've ever found in the caribbean. For real.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Would you elaborate on that? I'm doing Freedom next year and don't see much in the way of diving in Labadee or Fallmouth, but am considering an early dive in Grand Caymen so I can join the rest of my party at 7 mile and am thinking of doing Nachi at Cozumel.

I'm not the person quoted but I would recommend just the opposite. I have never felt more unsafe than when using the ship's tour. For one, they are over crowded like 1 DM to 25+ divers. Yes, everyone is certified but there were several people on our tour that were doing their first OW dive that wasn't instructor-led. There were divers in the water saying they were having trouble getting down, clearing their ears, etc and the staff was just pushing the divers heads down using their feet.

Our DM had a long metal stick that he allowed to drag through the coral on the entire dive. After stressing not to touch the coral!

Some people got low on air very early and surfaced....the DM had no idea. When we surfaced, the count was off and he was like "oh, I must have counted wrong in the beginning." If not for us, we would have left people behind!

By contrast, our private dives have had a maximum of 8 divers- 3 DMs. We chose the dive sites (by majority vote). Snacks/water were provided. Everyone accounted for. Significantly less $$$ per person than the ship.