Warning for non-US RCCL travellers re end of cruise billing

We are Canadians, with a USD credit card and have encountered this issue several times. Our fix is to visit guest services and pay the balance on the card the night before. Yes, I know the balance is paid automatically but this way if there is a few dollars left on the balance and they forget and "convert" it to CDN for us, it is only pennies difference on not the $50 dollars we otherwise might have to pay and argue about later.

Miami has always been very good about crediting the extra fees, but it is a nuisance to have to argue with them and provide copies of credit card statements!!!!!

My funny story though is, I waited to I dispute a charge for a spa treatment (not me) of $140.00 until I got home. The fellow on the phone agreed to reverse it, and I waited a couple of days for the credit to appear. Imagine my surprise when only $120 dollar credit appeared. I phoned again, and was told by the clerk that because I had booked in Cdn currency, the credit would be in Canadian as all charges on my seapass card were in Canadian. He argued for a moment and then I asked him to go ask his supervisor.

Well, I have written a review which is up for moderation before it goes live...only just written it. It certainly wasn't our best cruise to date (we are Platinum members so not new to RCCL). We've also cruised on P&O about 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be using RCCL again - too many issues on this cruise, which is a big shame since we were total supporters before this.

Can't find your review:confused: any chance you can post a link? Would like to read.

Several years ago I instructed them to charge my credit card (U.S. account) in us dollars, yet they still converted to canadian funds and charged my U.S. account which would have resulted in my being charged twice for conversion with applicable fees. When i questioned them about it they said that since they had already made the conversion they could not change it and it would stand. I insisted that they in fact could issue a credit to my card and rebill in U.S. funds which they begrudgingly did.

bob

Its more than just on-board accounts for some non US cruisers!

In Australia I am forced to pay for all RCI cruises in Australian Dollars, the dollar difference amount at booking is calculated at RCI,s non favourable exchange rate plus a bit more to take into consideration possible future currency fluctuations, so Australian booked cruises actually cost more.

Then when your Australian Dollars that you have paid to RCI for the cruise get possessed it is forwarded to Miami and is converted back to US Dollars and you get hit with CC foreign exchange fees!

So double whammy:mad:

A US Dollar is a US Dollar but it costs us more than a US Dollar in RCI,s favor.

I now use a CC with zero foreign exchange fees so will be very upset if my next on board account is converted back to my home currency before it reaches my CC :mad:

Unfortunately this is a common problem that has been going on for years for those of us who do not have a USD Credit Card. I now open my account with a GBP Credit Card but use USD Travellers Cheques to pay off my account and so the very small amount left from the last evening is minor when they convert at their awful rate.

I always give them an inprint of my UK credit card on boarding, however towards the end of the cruise I visit guest services and pay off the balance in cash.

I always pay a bit extra to cover the last day and they will either bill me for an insignificant amount or credit me back any positive balance to my credit card.

I always give them an inprint of my UK credit card on boarding, however towards the end of the cruise I visit guest services and pay off the balance in cash.

I always pay a bit extra to cover the last day and they will either bill me for an insignificant amount or credit me back any positive balance to my credit card.

Same process as myself. Except I pay off usually mid cruise so there's a credit balance on the Sea Pass and again near the end.

Just make sure at check in you tick on the form to use your banks exchange rate

That covers this

I learnt that a while ago

Greg ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately it doesn't always work, that's what this thread is all about. I select this option every single time and I can assure you RCI disregard my instruction, even when pointing it out out to the check in agent.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work, that's what this thread is all about. I select this option every single time and I can assure you RCI disregard my instruction, even when pointing it out out to the check in agent.

Just as bad with purchasing FCC,s on board, we have to purchase in AU Dollars which shuts us out of booking with US T/A,s.

We are just not responsible enough for our own finances so rightly so cruise lines have to do it for us:D

Never had a problem. Always use cash, USD which I purchase before I cruise, and deposit into on-board account when I board.

If I need more, I withdraw at the ATM on board, USD, from my travel card, loaded with USD. The charge is $6.00.:)

Only did it once, as a trial.:)

Edited by Aussie FF

Just make sure at check in you tick on the form to use your banks exchange rate

That covers this

I learnt that a while ago

Greg ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not true !! As previously mention, this is what this whole thread is about. :confused: People DO tick the box on the form, and also I have highlighted and marked it as well (just so its not missed) but for some reason, RCL is still missing it. They continue to convert it instead of billing in U.S. dollars and letting the credit card company convert it.

Edited by hancogran

Your sarcasm aside, this is a regular thing with RCCL. They do not follow instructions on this issue because they make more money. They also know most people won't bother.

My suggestion - pay in cash only or don't present your cc until nearly the end of the cruise.

That is what we do after many money exchange charges against what we put on the Set sail Pass. Starred it and circled it and highlighted it. Miami we were told sees your country and converts it. Period.

Tired of dealing with it and pay Cash. CC later in the cruise and been fine now for years doing it this way.

Edited by CVU

Never had a problem. Always use cash, USD which I purchase before I cruise, and deposit into on-board account when I board.

If I need more, I withdraw at the ATM on board, USD, from my travel card, loaded with USD. The charge is $6.00.:)

Only did it once, as a trial.:)

The low foreign exchange cash currency rate you are charged on land plus the lower exchange rate for your US Dollar travel card plus $6 each withdrawal from an ATM on board you are actually doing much worse than letting RCI convert it all for you lol.

Get a 28 Degree Master card, you are allowed to add funds, it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and its exchange rate is far above RCI exchange rate or any money changers;)

Edited by fishtaco

The only 100% way (assuming you are not American) this will not happen is to choose CASH Account. The last day you can go to GS and take them your CC and they will bill your CC on the spot and it's in US as they do it at the GS desk.

This has always worked for us.

How does this work:confused:

If you open a cash account you need to add cash funds which get used during the cruise and sometimes need topping up.

Are you saying you can present your CC at the end and get your cash back and have the CC charged instead?

How does this work:confused:

If you open a cash account you need to add cash funds which get used during the cruise and sometimes need topping up.

Are you saying you can present your CC at the end and get your cash back and have the CC charged instead?

You don't need to initially add cash funds to a cash account. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

The low foreign exchange cash currency rate you are charged on land plus the lower exchange rate for your US Dollar travel card plus $6 each withdrawal from an ATM on board you are actually doing much worse than letting RCI convert it all for you lol.

Get a 28 Degree Master card, you are allowed to add funds, it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and its exchange rate is far above RCI exchange rate or any money changers;)

No. I don't pay a commission to purchase USD, ex bank employee. And I buy large amounts when the exchange rate is good. I will be doing many more cruises.:D

The travel card was loaded with USD when the exchange rate was above $1.05 from memory.:D

RCI is not converting anything.

Re: the $6.00 charge, I said I have only done it once, as a trail.

Edited by Aussie FF

You don't need to initially add cash funds to a cash account. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

This is good to know! some of the other cruise lines require cash payers to deposit cash first day.

I have always used a CC.

Just as a note: my last RCI cruise I got a form with my debark info that asked if I wanted RCI to convert my account, I checked "No" I had already done this once before boarding.

No. I don't pay a commission to purchase USD, ex bank employee. And I buy large amounts when the exchange rate is good. I will be doing many more cruises.:D

The travel card was loaded with USD when the exchange rate was above $1.05 from memory.:D

RCI is not converting anything.

Re: the $6.00 charge, I said I have only done it once, as a trail.

I wasnt talking about "commission" on exchanging cash as many places do zero commission but more the difference between cash rate and CC rate.

The CC rate is much better than the cash rate unless ex bank employees get a different cash rate?