What happens if the ship misses a port?

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

My missed oportunities were on a Russian ship, Alexandr Pushkin which has Amedee as a regular stop, but rarely made it.

I will be sure to do a shore tour there too when I next stop in Noumea.

Thanks for everyone's responses - makes for very interesting reading!

Tomo72 - it's funny that you mention Amedee Island because I plan to book that shore tour! I will let you know what it's like - if I make it!;)

I plan to take at least 2,000 photos of absolutely everything: the Rocks in Sydney, the ship, the islands, the cocktails, the sunsets ...

Can't wait!!:)

I look forward to your review. Enjoy your cruise.:D

I also went on a minvan tour at isle of pines. By memory it was about 2 hours and $15 but that was a year or more ago. The tours were going all day, unlike the one mentioned here that was a one only at midday. It was a great tour and highly recommended. I also really like isle of pines and the water is beautiful, hope it is warm enough for you.

As others have already outlined, usually another port is substituted or an extra sea day added. Some ports are more prone to misses than others such as Port Stanley in the Falklands, where I think only 1 in 10 ships manage to make the stop. Sadly we weren't able to either last year but perhaps next time :D

On the other hand, we recently did a 51 day cruise from Sydney to Cape Town and not one port missed :) The captain did warn us that Reunion Is was looking dodgy due to high winds and a narrow entrance but luckily the winds dropped so we made it. We really wanted to see Reunion but understood that there are no guarantees when cruising but happily on this occasion we were lucky.

To Cruise Me Crazy - we docked in Ternerife last year in January and it's a beautiful place. I would recommend doing a tour though as the scenery away from the port is breathtaking. We did a tour up through the mountains and were blown away by the views. You will kick yourself later if you don't get out of town :D

In February when the Spirit went to Tasmania they kept us in Hobart one extra day and missed Port Arthur due to predicted high winds. We just booked a car and drove down there for the day. Everybody else had the same idea. Car hire offices were in absolute chaos. Also on a trip to the South Pacific on the spirit they changed one of our stops from Mare to Lifou due to a fuel shortage on Mare. Carnival decided it would be a better experience for passengers to change and I am glad they did. Lifou was awesome. Some people were not happy....................not sure why? So I guess I learnt to go with the flow on a cruise and trust that all decisions are made to benefit the majority's safety and enjoyment.

Apart from getting spray tan advise :p would love to hear more about your Rhine cruise!! Which means btw, YOU HAVE cruised before!! OMG you are "qualified" to discuss spray tanning n rub in fake tans :eek: ;) !!!!

Seriously though, a European river cruise us on our bucket list!:)

I wasn't sure if river cruises counted here ;)

I should probably start another thread to tell you about it, rather than hijacking this one. :D

Depends when they find out as to whether they can reschedule another port... ....

On a Med cruise, we lost a two-day stay at the Port of Alexandria (Egypt) due to the civil unrest associated with the "Arab Spring" and protests in Tahir Square (which was on the excursion). NCL worked out a two-day stay in Istanbul instead - worked out well as Istanbul was an amazing, historic city. But last-minute weather tends to result in the ship slowing down and heading for the next port. Embarkation port departure time and arrival times stay the same.

They're another kettle of fish when you miss a port as well!

Being on a river it usually means that the entire trip is disrupted, so often are bussed to the next port.

I have heard that you can have trouble on river cruises. Not enough rain and the river dries up , too much rain and the river is in flood.

I have heard that you can have trouble on river cruises. Not enough rain and the river dries up , too much rain and the river is in flood.

It was threatening for some of the European river cruises this year with low river levels.

Yes, family of friends of ours had that issue. Too much snow run off and the melted water made the rivers to full. Bridges became an obstacle and the boats couldn't fit under them. These people had to do the entire cruise via luxury coach. They were devastated. :(

My son went on Carnival quite a few years ago and all of the ports that they were supposed to go to they didn't get to go to any of them because of a hurricane. so they just went to other ports that were not scheduled and stayed away from the area that was not good weather!

Welcome Shirles, what brings you over to the "dark side"? :) I hope you can understand our accents ok! :D

Yes, family of friends of ours had that issue. Too much snow run off and the melted water made the rivers to full. Bridges became an obstacle and the boats couldn't fit under them. These people had to do the entire cruise via luxury coach. They were devastated. :(

As would I be, If I wanted a bus tour, I would book one.:D

To Cruise Me Crazy - we docked in Ternerife last year in January and it's a beautiful place. I would recommend doing a tour though as the scenery away from the port is breathtaking. We did a tour up through the mountains and were blown away by the views. You will kick yourself later if you don't get out of town :D

Keen as to hear your recommendations :).

Please do dig about. Have seen pics of the coastal views and keen as to get to them. Unfortunately it is the last stop before 6 glorious sea days of our TA & I am a little anxious about missing the ride home! ;) Any reputable advice is welcomed!

I wasn't sure if river cruises counted here ;)

I should probably start another thread to tell you about it, rather than hijacking this one. :D

Oh absolutely counts! If someone with 12 posts to their name can gave an opinion your cruise totes counts! ;)

Please feel free to start another thread! Pro's n con's for Aussie river cruisers.... Or..... You could be brave n post on the actual site area! :)

Oh absolutely counts! If someone with 12 posts to their name can gave an opinion your cruise totes counts! ;)

Please feel free to start another thread! Pro's n con's for Aussie river cruisers.... Or..... You could be brave n post on the actual site area! :)

I think I'll post it here, just for you :D

It was several years ago so probably not worth posting in the River Cruise area.

I think I'll post it here, just for you :D

It was several years ago so probably not worth posting in the River Cruise area.

years schmears.......:p Don't let that hold you back!

i look forward to it!!! No idea what brands offer different stuff, so keen to hear what your thoughts are!:)

It was threatening for some of the European river cruises this year with low river levels.

They had flooding last year, which didn't just threaten but caused a number of terminations and bus transfers on to get past blocked bridges.

They had flooding last year, which didn't just threaten but caused a number of terminations and bus transfers on to get past blocked bridges.

As mentioned by Cruise-me-crazy's friend. They had to use coaches to get around instead.:(