Conflicting information on train from Zeebrugge to Bruge. Is it open In October?

Barnum42

We are on a short 4 night Royal Caribbean Cruise at the end of October. Looking online there is conflicting information about using the train to get from Zeebrugge to Bruge/

We've looked at the forums here and established you take a free shuttle bus to the entrance of the port and then a tram to one of a choice of train stations.

The main issue which I hope at least one of you good folk can answer is whether the trains and trams are running in October as this is where the conflicting information arises.

Has anyone been there end of October and were the trains and trams still running?

Thanks in advance

The Coastal Tram runs year round.

The confusion may be coming from the SNCB railway stations as there are two. Zeebrugge-Strand which is right by the beach and Zeebrugge-Dorp nearer the village centre. When you go trains will probably be running from Zeebrugge-Dorp. During the summer trains go to Zeebrugge-Strand. Timetable from SNCB is here (in French and opens a PDF file), Brugge-Zeebrugge times are down the bottom of each page.

Can you get a Coastal Tram from Zeebrugge or Blankenberge to De Haan? We would be going in November so would be interested in the winter timetable.

I find the timetable quite confusing to work out.

Thank you, Red Fox.

And sorry if this has been asked lots of times - if so, please feel free to refer me to the thread/post - but how easy is it to get into the town/village of Zeebrugge port itself - and is there anything there?

Edited by Scriv

Thank you, Red Fox.

And sorry if this has been asked lots of times - if so, please feel free to refer me to the thread/post - but how easy is it to get into the town/village of Zeebrugge port itself - and is there anything there?

Just outside the port gates there is a cold war Russian submarine which you can go inside. There is also an old lightship you can go on.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188676-d2084909-Reviews-Seafront_Zeebrugge-Zeebrugge_West_Flanders_Province.html#REVIEWS

Thank you, Red Fox.

We are on the same cruise as the OP and after some research Blankenberge actually looks more interesting for an easy day out from port. There is a sea life centre, a pier and a nice coastal walk.

Yes, I visited there in June and I would agree that Blankenberge is quite a nice little place to spend several hours. I just wondered whether there was actually anything in Zeebrugge itself. Will probably end up in Blankenberge if we decide to stay local.

Talking about conflicting information, I have just seen this on another cruise forum mentioning a daily 9am shuttle to the centre of Bruges. I quote:

Shuttle service from Zeebrugge port to Bruges and return

This service is a shuttle service only into the centre of Bruges. The service departs from the port of Zeebrugge at 9am every morning and takes you directly to the port of Bruges, there will be a set time for you to meet in Bruges ready to bring you back to the port of Zeebrugge.

I have started a thread asking if anyone else has knowledge/experience of this.

Edited by Scriv

Barnum, I agree, it has been amazingly difficult to work out. I posted a question on Tripadvisor but it didn't help really as they were not very clued up about the cruise ports.

From what I have gleaned, there does seem to be a winter train service from Blankenberge to Bruges but it seems to be just hourly. Someone mentioned about 11 mins past the hour I think - but that should be checked out first.

As to the trams to Blankenberge, I have not researched that as we have a P&O shuttle. I did look at coastal trams from Zeebrugge to De Haan, but got confused - but people did seem to be saying that there is an autumnal service. I think!!??

I do hope you get sorted out. Would you be kind enough to report back after your cruise so that we will all know for future reference please?

Edited by Scriv

• 2 months later...
Would you be kind enough to report back after your cruise so that we will all know for future reference please?

We are back from the cruise. The Dorp station is a 20 minute walk from the ship. It's not too difficult, but not exactly pretty.

Here's a link to the path in Google Maps:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.3355594,3.211101/Station+Zeebrugge-Dorp,+8380+Brugge,+Belgium/@51.3272691,3.1971095,18z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c4a9948524a747:0x79357fded366f85c!2m2!1d3.195115!2d51.326515!3e2?hl=en

You turn right out of the port exit and keep going straight. There's a few points where you can cross to the other side of the street as you'll want to be that side when you get to the turning where the station is. Once you cross a bridge you'll see a tower on your right, it's the next left that will lead you to the station.

Note: The station building is no longer anything to do with the train company. There is a ticket machine on the platform, but it refused to take any of our cards. However, you can buy tickets using plastic on the train from the conductor.

It's a simple route that starts in Dorp station and ends in the centre of Brugges, about four or five stops in total.

At time of writing tickets were six Euros return.

Barnum, thanks so much for reporting back. ..

I have now decided to get our ship's free shuttle to Blankenberge and then decide whether to carry on by train to Bruges or stay in Blankenberge.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise?

Barnum, thanks so much for reporting back. ..

I have now decided to get our ship's free shuttle to Blankenberge and then decide whether to carry on by train to Bruges or stay in Blankenberge.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise?

Royal Caribbean charged for any transport, so free buses were not an option - other than the one that took you a couple of hundred yards from the ship to the port exit.

Cruise was good. Weather for the most part was very nice.