New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

And this is a good place to ask it, no matter how many times. Way better than starting yet another thread. And there are people happy to respond here each time.

Although in most cases a quick use of the search function here on the boards will answer the question without having to re-ask it, or start another thread. ;):)

Another question asked 900,000 kazillion times......

We've decided to just bring our own wine. Do we need to bring another suitcase/carry on and give to the people at the wine table when. He king in? OR can we just throw in our main luggage and then upon screening, they'll see it, pull it out and 'hold' it for us and then at dinner we can ask for a bottle? Am aware of the $18 corkage fee.

Thank you and sorry for asking.

Another question asked 900,000 kazillion times......

We've decided to just bring our own wine. Do we need to bring another suitcase/carry on and give to the people at the wine table when.

You have to tote your wine on yourself. Whether in a rolling suitcase, carton, wine carrier---however. You can't send it through in checked luggage.

You can bring on additional bottles at port stops, so you don't have to bring it all at once if there are stops where purchases can be made.

You have to tote your wine on yourself. Whether in a rolling suitcase, carton, wine carrier---however. You can't send it through in checked luggage.

You can bring on additional bottles at port stops, so you don't have to bring it all at once if there are stops where purchases can be made.

Thank you (and Lizzie) for your responses. My husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma about 3 weeks ago and his future living (if we're lucky) is about 1 year. Talked to the doc and she said to go ahead on our upcoming cruise (Alaska 9/10). I'm so overwhelmed right now I can't even figure what to cook for dinner nowadays, much less figure out the answers to the questions I have.

Again, I appreciate your kindness and quick replies.

My husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma about 3 weeks ago and his future living (if we're lucky) is about 1 year. Talked to the doc and she said to go ahead on our upcoming cruise (Alaska 9/10).

I hope you have the time of your lives, then.

(I know the feeling. Shorten your focus and take it a day at a time.)

Have you tried using the search function? In years, it has never worked efficiently for me, and so many times it has not worked at all. No harm in answering a question here to save hours of searching for a newbie.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

The search functin on this site stinks, to say the least. I neglected to save a prebiously subscribed threadand it took me nearly an hour to find it. It would have been faster to post the question but being one who would be told to "search" ;)

Thank you (and Lizzie) for your responses. My husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma about 3 weeks ago and his future living (if we're lucky) is about 1 year. Talked to the doc and she said to go ahead on our upcoming cruise (Alaska 9/10). I'm so overwhelmed right now I can't even figure what to cook for dinner nowadays, much less figure out the answers to the questions I have.

Again, I appreciate your kindness and quick replies.

I am SO sorry to hear this.

I know that cancer all too well, sadly. I wish you and your husband great times and pray that a cure comes for him and all the victims of this malicious cancer.

The search functin on this site stinks, to say the least.

As an alternative, use Google to search. Just end the search phrase with "site:cruisecritic.com"

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Here's my off the wall food question. Will things like Dijon mustard, peanut butter, celery, nuts, salsa, chips and hummus be available on the ship? I know they can't carry everything but hoping some of my goto snacks will be available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - there is usually a taco bar on the ships I have been on. So lots of salsa & nachos.

There are always little bags of chips at the Lido at lunch time and mustard & IIRC peanut butter. Nuts are in the different bars.

I don't remember hummus - but since I don't eat it, I wasn't looking for it.

Here's my off the wall food question. Will things like Dijon mustard, peanut butter, celery, nuts, salsa, chips and hummus be available on the ship?

I guarantee that peanut butter is available, but you should pick up the packets in the morning, when they are set out.

I get some most every morning for my English muffin or bagel.

HAL used to have very large jars of peanut butter, and would scoop some into a small ramekin when asked for some. Now they have switched to Smuckers packets.

This thread was started by Walt specifically for newbies to ask their questions and get answers, so I have to wonder why there are some members who insist on sending them in another direction.:rolleyes: In fairness, perhaps they haven't been around long enough to remember the reasoning.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I've read it. Though I did skim some of the wine/beverage package stuff.

Kids: we are traveling with my 7 year old. I found somewhere on the HAL site that they have 'kid food'. But he's actually a good adventurous eater, will he be able to eat some of the real food in the dining room? I assume at Lido, we can grab him whatever.

*I'm not trying to be offensive with 'kid food'. It's just easier than typing out chik nug, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ok, I've read it. Though I did skim some of the wine/beverage package stuff.

Kids: we are traveling with my 7 year old. I found somewhere on the HAL site that they have 'kid food'. But he's actually a good adventurous eater, will he be able to eat some of the real food in the dining room? I assume at Lido, we can grab him whatever.

*I'm not trying to be offensive with 'kid food'. It's just easier than typing out chik nug, etc.

Yes, of course. He can order whatever he wants from the menu. They do cater a lighter menu for children, but you are not restricted to it.

Yes, of course. He can order whatever he wants from the menu. They do cater a lighter menu for children, but you are not restricted to it.
Thank you! I was hoping that was the answer.

This thread was very informative. I feel more confident about choosing HAL this time.

I have done 2 HAL airport transfers with excursions-one in Vancouver and one in Fort Lauderdale. Both got me to the airport in lots of time for checkin. They are very careful to say what the window is both for domestic and international flights. Sadly, on my next cruise, our window is just shy, so we won't be able to do the excursion....just the airport transfer (and we'll get to sit there for a few hours.)

Thank you. I'm still a bit nervous about the 1 hr difference. If we choose to just take the bus to Anchorage, does anyone have any suggestions on how we should spend our time? Just go to the airport vs hang out in the city?

Thank you! I was hoping that was the answer.

This thread was very informative. I feel more confident about choosing HAL this time.

Please check out this web page for menus

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

There are three menu items available at every dinner. My young niece fell in love with the steak and had it many nights on our cruise. The servers are usually very good helping the young ones with food choices.

Please check out this web page for menus

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

There are three menu items available at every dinner. My young niece fell in love with the steak and had it many nights on our cruise. The servers are usually very good helping the young ones with food choices.

I've seen that webpage. Trust me, in this thread it's hard to miss [emoji6], it must be the only webpage actually allowed to be linked, and that's where I saw the kids menu - which I don't see steak listed on?

And it said menu items are available in 1/2 portions, but that's wasn't super clear to me.

I do not see 3 kids options like you say are available at dinner? Or do you just mean the general menu options?

I've seen that webpage. Trust me, in this thread it's hard to miss [emoji6], it must be the only webpage actually allowed to be linked, and that's where I saw the kids menu - which I don't see steak listed on?

And it said menu items are available in 1/2 portions, but that's wasn't super clear to me.

I do not see 3 kids options like you say are available at dinner? Or do you just mean the general menu options?

I didn't realise we could now do 3rd party promotion of another website - in that case, check out Halfacts.com for cabin info and more.:)

Steak is one of the options on the 'always available' portion of the regular menu. Yes, you can order smaller portions of items. When I have ordered a half-portion of steak I think they cook the full steak, then cut it in half before serving. I do hope the other half gets used somehow. Perhaps it ends up in the Kansas City steak soup?

The kids' menu is a separate menu entirely. If you want to order from it (adults can order from it, too), it is faster to do so the night before, if possible. That way the items can be brought from storage, and prepped, before dinner.