Dress Code Question?

cruise4two79

So this will be my DH and I first cruise in September on the Carnival Freedom. :o

One question my DH has asked is if he has to dress up every night. I told him the only "dress up" would be on elegant night.

He wants to know if he could wear jeans in the MDR and any other place with a nice dress shirt polo? He is not into wearing khakis or anything so I really wasn't for sure how strict the rules or anything like that would be?

Anyone know?

Here's the dress code from Carnival's FAQs:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

As you can see, jeans are allowed in the MDR, just not on Elegant night. Have some gotten away with wearing jeans on Elegant night? Sure.

Jeans and polo shirt are fine for "regular" nights in MDR.

Per the Carnival website FAQs, they ask for it to be stepped up a little on elegant nights -- instead of jeans, dress pants or Dockers-like pants for men.

You will also see that some PAX dress up more than that for elegant nights.

BTW: there are about a million threads on this -- you might want to search for addtional insights and perspectives. :)

Edited by Lovefuninthesun

Here's the dress code from Carnival's FAQs:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

As you can see, jeans are allowed in the MDR, just not on Elegant night. Have some gotten away with wearing jeans on Elegant night? Sure.

Ya know, I should have known! :cool: I think I had read it on the FAQ's as well, but thank you for taking time to reiterate everything. That will put things at ease for me when trying to pack. :D

Lablover, I am with you. Plus my wife is usually in a sun-dress (for the carib cruises) except on formal night where she is in a cocktail dress or something just as fancy.

Where Detroit-ish. My wife is from Dearborn Heights.

Hi,

You will get folks on here telling you all sorts of things about the dress code. Really all Carnival wants ,even on "elegant night" is long pants and a shirt with a collar.

My husband wears nice black jeans with black shoes and just a shirt . Sometimes it's a Hawaiian shirt and sometimes it is a Mexican wedding shirt with embroidery and ruffles. Since we cruise to Mexico most often he is comfortable in these clothes.

Let your husband wear what he feels comfy in and you get as dressed up as you like. I put on heels and a nice dress but not a gown or anything since that would be silly to pack!! This is your vacation and it is meant for you to have fun within the rules of the cruise line.

This is the reason we stick with Carnival as their rules are not stuffy!!

Lablover, I am with you. Plus my wife is usually in a sun-dress (for the carib cruises) except on formal night where she is in a cocktail dress or something just as fancy.

Where Detroit-ish. My wife is from Dearborn Heights.

I am in Plymouth , not too far from Dearborn Heights at all !

I like to dress up every night in a dress of some sort, maybe even sparkly...and nice sandals. Husband wears dockers and button shirt every night.

On elegant night, he wears a suit and I wear a cocktail dress and heels.

So much fun to dress up and go to a nice venue to eat dinner every night! Love it!