How "formal" are the Formal Nights?

dlanesman

On my Alaska cruise I saw more tuxes than usual. However most wear a dark suit and tie. I usually wear a cocktail dress. I have seem just shirt and tie get in the room though.

Currently on the Zuiderdam Alaska 7 Day Inside Passage and I saw more suits than tuxedos. Seems some of the more older seasoned guest wore tuxedos as the younger crowed wore suits and very few wore jeans on formal night.

I'm new to HAL and wonder what the guys wear to formal night, Are they wearing tuxedos or suits, or jackets and ties? We are going to the Caribbean during the Easter Break.

Sport jacket and tie. You can always do more.

On recent cruises I've seen a lot more sport jacket and ties than tuxedos for men. Many women just wear "something nice"; which could be a blouse and slacks.

Also, I will say that on a Caribbean cruise (over Easter) with a lot of "spring break" people and/or families with kids; you'll see a lot fewer tuxedos than you will on a longer cruise with an exotic itinerary when school is in session that has an older crowd.

Currently on the Zuiderdam Alaska 7 Day Inside Passage and I saw more suits than tuxedos. Seems some of the more older seasoned guest wore tuxedos as the younger crowed wore suits and very few wore jeans on formal night.

They'll always be a few "Clueless" who don't realize jeans aren't formal

I'm new to HAL and wonder what the guys wear to formal night, Are they wearing tuxedos or suits, or jackets and ties? We are going to the Caribbean during the Easter Break.

All of the above. My DH wears dark suit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Was on the Zaandam to Alaska earlier this month. Most guys, myself included, had a suit and tie. I did however see a couple people with just dress shirts, and even one with a golf shirt and they were all let in.

The neat thing about Formal Nights on HAL is that you do have choices. We, personally, still do the tux and gown thing. We've noticed fewer and fewer who dress like us, but it doesn't matter because we dress for ourselves - not for others. Just so long as you're clean, neat, and meet minimum dress code standards, you'll be fine. It's all about enjoying a formal night the way you want to - so just ENJOY. :)