Dollars or sterling

thebev1

You should tip in the currency the ship is using.

Why? There are countries in the world where US$ are not readily accepted. If the ship's itinerary goes to these countries and crew members do get time ashore and they do purchase goods/use transport then I am certain they would be glad to have some local currency without having to change $.

Tip in what ever you think is appropriate.

Staff working in the Mediterranean and Western Europe welcome additional tips in euros as it saves them having to exhange USD to Euros using RCI unfavourable rates to spend ashore during port calls.

Its also acceptable to give them Sterling, as we did on the IOS. The crew love shopping in Southampton, especially Primark, so Sterling is used. We asked, and thats what they told us.

Why? There are countries in the world where US$ are not readily accepted. If the ship's itinerary goes to these countries and crew members do get time ashore and they do purchase goods/use transport then I am certain they would be glad to have some local currency without having to change $.

Tip in what ever you think is appropriate.

Its also acceptable to give them Sterling, as we did on the IOS. The crew love shopping in Southampton, especially Primark, so Sterling is used. We asked, and thats what they told us.
Both of you are forgetting that some crew-members send almost all of their money home to their families and do not spend it ashore. That being said I see no problem with tipping in any currency as any tip is better than no tip.