HIGH SURF in SoCal

Wow, just our luck - while we've cruised so many times in the Caribbean and Europe - here we are about to sail on Monday on Carnival from Long Beach ... and there are crazy high-surf warnings!

Several areas around LA have closed their piers due to damage - and forecasts are for 10-30 foot waves!

Seriously?!! I do NOT want to sail in conditions such as this - can someone please tell me that Carnival will not sail if this is the case? I think I'd have a heart attack in these conditions -

Advise? Will Carnival cancel or divert? :confused:

Waves are supposed to be high thru Friday. Next Monday should be smooth sailing. But if there are still high waves, then the Bufadora will be great.

FYI - Heard on the noon news the Catalina Express didn't go to Catalina due to the high waves at the pier in Avalon. They showed the beach area was closed off with yellow tape.

We were on a cruise a few years ago where Carnival switched the Catalina, Ensenada and sea days (order was sea day, Catalina then Ensenada) because of the high waves caused by a hurricane.

High surf is a coastal/beach issue, not so much noticeable on a ship. You may notice a little, but not like if you are trying to surf. It might be a little rough as you depart the port, but otherwise I doubt it will be an issue.

File your complaint with Mother Nature. She has the final say. You can expect rough seas anytime you are on a ship, no matter where you are sailing, and should plan accordingly.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The piers that are closed are relatively small fishing, small craft, and walking piers, not the commercial cruise piers, as far as I've heard. Avalon is one of those smaller piers, with tender access only. By Monday, the waves will probably be back to normal and cause you no problem whatsoever. In fact, we're going to go down to our local pier tomorrow morning and walk out to the restaurant on the end for breakfast (it's obviously not closed)- we're afraid we might be too late and miss the great waves!

Edited by Kartgv

I went down to The Wedge (world-famous surf spot where waves are amplified when they interact with the Newport Harbor jetty). Sets were 15-25 feet with occasional 30-footers. But as others said, surf is only along the beach...at the Wedge, two small lifeguard boats were sitting just outside the shorebreak to help anyone who couldn't get back to shore. The boats were bobbing around a little.

Since harbor channels are deep, there's no surf or wave action except onto the breakwater. Similarly, a massive tsunami will often pass unnoticed in deep water.

The piers that are closed are relatively small fishing, small craft, and walking piers, not the commercial cruise piers, as far as I've heard. Avalon is one of those smaller piers, with tender access only. By Monday, the waves will probably be back to normal and cause you no problem whatsoever. In fact, we're going to go down to our local pier tomorrow morning and walk out to the restaurant on the end for breakfast (it's obviously not closed)- we're afraid we might be too late and miss the great waves!

The pier for the Catalina Express was closed for a while. A different part of the pier is also used when ships (i.e. Princess) use their own tenders or when the Green Pier is closed because of choppy water and the water taxis can't stop there and use the other pier (happened to us in April).

We've sailed from San Pedro when there's been record surf.

Hurricane Marie is causing the heavy surf. People are being warned not to even attempt to hit the waves -- one fatality already and many rescues. But I can't imagine it would be too bad by Monday and in a big ship. I would rather we get some rain from the storm.

Hurricane Marie is causing the heavy surf. People are being warned not to even attempt to hit the waves -- one fatality already and many rescues. But I can't imagine it would be too bad by Monday and in a big ship.

Although your comments are accurate, surf *only* affects the immediate beach and shoreline. OP was concerned about the ship, not about swimming at the beach. When I was watching the record surf on Wednesday there were small lifeguard boats and even kayakers 500 feet offshore. A harbor the breakwater does exactly that...creates calm water. LA/Long Beach harbors are protected by the world's longest breakwater about 2 miles offshore and there's no surf or swells.

OP- Avalon focused cleanup on the tourist areas first, and everything is back in operation according to local news.

The normal wave pattern off our coast creates following seas sailing northbound. There's often some rocking and rolling coming back from Ensenada...so if you might experience seasickness, bring meds. (I personally like the feeling I'm at sea and not in a Vegas hotel surrounded by water...but I know many people aren't as lucky)

Edited by kenish

Catalina had some fairly severe damage to smaller piers and beaches due to Hurricane Marie. A friend of mine who has a business at Pebbly Beach (a more south facing cove) had extensive damage done to her business. You can see some pictures here:

http://www.frequency.com/video/pebbly-beach-damage/189966541?cid=5-32720

In addition the pier at White's Landing (where the Catalina Experience camp is now located) was nearly completely washed away. I worked at the Girl Scout camp that was there in the 1960s-1990s.

10593085_701163053305640_906468082501227021_n.jpg.53f1cdb91d23dcc8bcf975272dcad34d.jpg

Edited by Splinter

Catalina had some fairly severe damage to smaller piers and beaches due to Hurricane Marie. A friend of mine who has a business at Pebbly Beach (a more south facing cove) had extensive damage done to her business. You can see some pictures here:

http://www.frequency.com/video/pebbly-beach-damage/189966541?cid=5-32720

In addition the pier at White's Landing (where the Catalina Experience camp is now located) was nearly completely washed away. I worked at the Girl Scout camp that was there in the 1960s-1990s.

As commented in my previous post, all 3 network news stations reported the main area of Avalon harbor and the town were rapidly put back in operation for the weekend. You're correct that other outlying areas like Pebbly and the boatyard have a lot of damage...thus my comment "tourist areas". Not sure why disconcerting info that's irrelevant to OP is being posted without context. :D