Question about the upcoming charge for the character breakfasts beginning Sept. 1

I previously read that RCCL will be charging $10 per person for the character breakfasts starting September 1st, 2014. Naturally, I took this to mean that if you were to attend a character breakfast starting on September 1st, or any date thereafter, you would have to pay $10 per person.

RCCL's website states exactly...

*For reservations made on or after Sept 1, 2014 there will be a $10.00 per person charge for all guests six years of age and older for the DreamWorks Character Breakfast.

I believe the key words above are FOR RESERVATIONS MADE ON OR AFTER SEPT 1, 2014.

We booked our character breakfasts a couple of weeks ago and the cost showing on the reservation was $0.00 per person. Would I be wrong to assume that RCCL would honour what they printed in their literature since we RESERVED prior to Sept. 1st, or do you think they will try to say that the reservation was made for after Sept. 1st, so they will try to charge us for it?

That's correct but it says bookings made on or after so it's worded right

You want it better book today or tomorrow then

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is how I read their wording as well.

We already have it booked for March, so I am assuming that they are not going to try to add the cost of the breakfast to our onboard account since it was reserved prior to September 1st.

I just booked this for my November cruise based on the heads up from the roll call board.

I'm a little concerned about the fine print in the confirmation email "No-show and cancellation penalties within 24 hours may apply for the DreamWorks Character Breakfast." Anybody know exactly what the penalty would be? We wouldn't miss on purpose, but everybody knows that kids aren't predictable! My son will be almost 3 and he may freak out and we have to leave before the food is even served!

I just booked this for my November cruise based on the heads up from the roll call board.

I'm a little concerned about the fine print in the confirmation email "No-show and cancellation penalties within 24 hours may apply for the DreamWorks Character Breakfast." Anybody know exactly what the penalty would be? We wouldn't miss on purpose, but everybody knows that kids aren't predictable! My son will be almost 3 and he may freak out and we have to leave before the food is even served!

My guess is that you would lose the $10 per person fee.

But booking now, before Sept 1, there is no fee.

Has there always been a cancellation penalty?

No cancel penalty that I have heard of until now.

Another guess that there would be no cancel penalty for bookings made before 9/1.

Edited by clarea

In your scenario above you would not be a "no show" you would have checked in but left early. And if your son was freaking out you would have their sympathy. If you did not have to pay for the breakfast, logically one would assume the cancellation fee would be the amount you were charged, which was zero.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be no refund basically

They want their 10 per person

Simple enough

It would be no refund basically

They want their 10 per person

Simple enough

Are you saying they'd charge $10 no show fee for a 3 year old that they weren't charging admittance for (whether booked before or after 9/1). Even if we are just talking the fee for the parents I'd just send one parent down, check in, then go back to the kid in the room (if sick, etc.) and then send the other parent down, check in, and leave. There ya go, no cancellation so no cancellation fee, no fee because booked before 9/1. Bingo bango.

I think charging $10 per person for this "event" (which is just MDR breakfast with a few character photo ops) is asinine to start with.

Russ Lomas, from RCI's website:

Onboard Extras

Q: If I already reserved the DreamWorks Character Breakfast while it was free, will I be charged onboard?

A: No, all existing complimentary reservations will be honored.

Btw, I am in agreement that this should be a complimentary 'event'.

Russ Lomas, from RCI's website:

Onboard Extras

Q: If I already reserved the DreamWorks Character Breakfast while it was free, will I be charged onboard?

A: No, all existing complimentary reservations will be honored.

Btw, I am in agreement that this should be a complimentary 'event'.

Thanks for posting that. I never came across that Q&A while searching a couple of days ago about this issue.

I too agree that it should be a complimentary "event". We would be cancelling it if we had to pay for it since it is the same food as in the dining room every morning more or less and you can run into the characters for photo ops all over the ship for free anyways. That being said, we are taking a family with us on the Allure in March who have never sailed RCCL before, so I am glad we were able to book a couple of character breakfasts for free for them and their children to enjoy.

Do they have the character breakfast on the freedom is so how do I book it?

Yes they do. You can book on board or through your cruise planner. Should appear once other dining options open up.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R

As to the why for charging - I heard that there were too many complaints by families not able to get a reservation while other families had made 2 or 3 to keep their options open and would no-show the ones they didn't want since there was no penalty for doing so.

We have one reservation and will show up for it!

I just hung up with a gal from Resolutions Department RCCL

11of us will be on Liberty of the seas ( 6 adults & 5 grandchildren ) in 3 cabins

Wanted to make the reservations for the Dream Character Breakfast for 6/27/15 cruise to Bermuda ..I was told that the cruise is too far out to book this reservation...

must be no earlier than 90 days before departure....the deadline of no charge for children over 6 y.o. ...is tonight at midnight

I was told by the person I was speaking to that she will document on each of my 3 reservations that I called before 9/1/14 and she will try to get us o.b.c. the amount we will be charged at $10 per person over 6y.o.

Has anyone else had this refusal when they tried to make the breakfast reservation?

So glad I logged on to CC this evening. I just booked the Character Breakfast for our upcoming cruise on the Allure in February 2015. Still showed $0.00. Just made the deadline. :D Can't wait !!

Glad you were able to get in just under the deadline. Enjoy:p

11of us will be on Liberty of the seas ( 6 adults & 5 grandchildren ) in 3 cabins

Wanted to make the reservations for the Dream Character Breakfast for 6/27/15 cruise to Bermuda ..I was told that the cruise is too far out to book this reservation...

must be no earlier than 90 days before departure....the deadline of no charge for children over 6 y.o. ...is tonight at midnight

I was told by the person I was speaking to that she will document on each of my 3 reservations that I called before 9/1/14 and she will try to get us o.b.c. the amount we will be charged at $10 per person over 6y.o.

Has anyone else had this refusal when they tried to make the breakfast reservation?

Sorry to hear that you were unable to get this booked free of charge for your June 2015 cruise. As for being told that you cannot book it until 90 days prior to your cruise, that is not true. It is true that it may not be available for booking if you book your cruise far in advance. The breakfast was unavailable for booking for our March 2015 cruise up until about 2 weeks ago (that is about 210 days out from our cruise, so the 90 day thing is false).

I hope you can get OBC for it, but do not think they will do that for you, even though you tried to book it prior to the September 1st cutoff.

As for us, we have done the breakfast before. It was fun, but if I had to pay for it, we would not bother doing it again. The food is the same as the rest of the dining room basically, which sits 30 feet away from you. You get a quick minute or so with each of the 3 characters who come to your table for a photo op. You can get this elsewhere on the ship anytime during your vacation.

That being said, if you have not done this before and go through with it, I hope your family has a wonderful experience with it.

Just to let everyone know, this is the response from RCCL:

"We are pleased to inform you that the Dreamworks Character Breakfast for your cruise vacation will not be charged a cancellation or no- show penalty."

I'm guessing that won't be the case with the $10 fee now.

Hmm. I guess every ship is different, I booked and received my email confirmation for August 1, 2015 on Oasis. We're doing Day #5, we had 3 choices.

Happy Sailing

Nae