Dolphinaris with Paradise Beach or Chankanaab??

momtoty2001

We are in Cozumel from 10am-7pm on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas in a few weeks.

Looking for recommendations on which Dolphin Swim/Beach Day we should do..

It will be myself, DH, DS (12) and DD (11).. We want to do the Swim with dolphins and Dolphinaris seems to be the least expensive Dolphin Swim but it doesn't look like there is much else to do other than swim with the Dolphins. We are thinking of possibly doing the dolphin swim and then leaving Dolphinaris and going to Paradise Beach? Is this doable in the time we have in Cozumel?

OR

We could go to Chankanaab and do the Dolphin swim there (although it is almost double the cost) and it doesn't seem that Chankanaab has a very nice beach (or one that you can just walk into as it looks like you have to use stairs)

We were in Cozumel last year for a cruise and really enjoyed our beach time with swimming pools at Playa Mia because we could lounge on the beach or use the mats to float in the ocean as well as use the really nice pools.

Looking for thoughts on doing the combo (Dolphinaris with Paradise Beach) or just going to CHankanaab and paying the higher prices..

Thank you!

No advice, we're thinking of the same plan! Hopefully someone else comes along with some thoughts.

One of my reasons for Dolphinaris over Chankanaab is that DH doesn't really want to swim with the dolphins. If we go to Dolphinaris, he wants to pay the observer price and take pictures. Granted they won't be as good as the ones that Dolphinaris wants to overcharge us for, but we have a good camera with a good zoom lens. We'll just be missing the good angle that their photographers have. It doesn't seem like Chankanaab has an observer option. He'd either have to come in with us (pay full price, can't bring the camera) or not go in and just wait on the beach or something.

After much research trying to decide between the 2, we decided on Chankanaab even though it was a bit more expensive. We were very torn from the start because we wanted to swim with the dolphins, but have also heard a lot of the awful stuff that goes on "behind the scenes". My 16 year old son had watched the cove and we were really debating if we wanted to support this industry. I did a lot of research and this is what I found. Dolphin Discovery at Chakanaab has a breeding conservation program and all of their dolphins have been born under human care. They do not support the drives and slaughters where many of the captive dolphins come from. Apparently Dolphinaris cannot make this same claim. To me, animals born in captivity that are not used to roaming the open seas is a lot more humane than dolphins ripped out of the ocean and put in swimming pools. That is another difference. Chakannab dolphins are kept in sea pens, so they are still in the ocean, but confined to a blocked off area. Dolphinaris keeps their dolphins in large swimming pools. Overall we found Chakanaab to be more in line with the way we feel about this industry, so it was worth a little extra money. They are having a 30% off special, so it wasn't a large difference. We have a group of 4, myself and 3 sons who are 16, 14 and 3. I believe the quote from Dolphinaris was $240 and I just booked today at dolphin discovery at chakanaab for $290. It was a $50 difference, but I have heard that you can usually work out a better deal for your pics at chakannab if you plan to buy them, plus you have entertainment for the day because you get entrance to the park and I have heard that the snorkeling is great. Just a tip, if you are on Carnival, don't tell them. They have a contract with Carnival so that Carnival can hike up the price and sell you their shore excursion. If you tell them, they have to tell you to go through your ship. Made that mistake with first rep. Didn't tell the second one and booked no problem.

We absolutely LOVE Chankanaab and loved the dolphin swim. They were amazing with the animals and when we were there "Foxy" dolphin had a baby with her and she was allowed to stay in the area while we did the swims. It was so cute. The areas they are in a huge compared to any of the other areas I have seen dolphin swims at. It's an added plus that the admission to the National Park there is included in the price. The snorkeling there is simply amazing!

There is a "walk-in" beach area there as well. It's not a huge area, but it's there. You will walk by it on the way to the huge beach area with the steps down into the ocean for snorkeling:

IMG_1413-L.jpg

cozumel%20wedding%20and%20honeymoon%20attractions%20-%20chankanaab-L.jpg

IMG_5654-L.jpg

I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab and 1 of our dolphin swim, listed in my signature line if you are interested. :)

So beautiful! Your review is why we are choosing this!!

Question though, does anyone know if the dolphin swim shown on the NCL site is the one at Chankanaab?? It doesn't list a location or talk about the park??

Thanks,

Jules

Ok, I went ahead and booked directly with Dolphin Discovery as it appeared NCL was not the one we were looking for. Got a great early booking rate. We will just need to get a taxi to/from the park which does not look like it is a problem.

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Jules