Ruby vs. Crown

RSLeesburg

I was looking at two Alaska cruises on Princess - one is on Ruby and the other is on Crown. Identical itineraries. It looks like the ships are in same class, but was wondering if there were any differences between them. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was looking at two Alaska cruises on Princess - one is on Ruby and the other is on Crown. Identical itineraries. It looks like the ships are in same class, but was wondering if there were any differences between them. Thanks in advance.

The only difference is that the Ruby has 4 aft facing balconies on the Riviera deck, on the Crown they are just ocean view's.

Although these cruises both visit the same ports, the itineraries are NOT identical. They go in a different order with different times in port. Be sure to consider what you want to do in each port and whether the time in port will be sufficient.

Although these cruises both visit the same ports, the itineraries are NOT identical. They go in a different order with different times in port. Be sure to consider what you want to do in each port and whether the time in port will be sufficient.

Some of the Crown Princess itineraries will be going to Glacier Bay and others to Tracy Arm Fjord and Ruby Princess will be going exclusively to Tracy Arm...

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew that the itineraries were reversed, but never looked at time in ports. I just assumed they were the same. I will have to go check these out.

Some of the Crown Princess itineraries will be going to Glacier Bay and others to Tracy Arm Fjord and Ruby Princess will be going exclusively to Tracy Arm...

In our case, the two cruises I was looking at both go to Tracy Arm Fjord - one leaves on June 6th and the other leaves on the 7th, which would fit into my son getting done with school.

Just checked the port times - Crown has much better times for Tracy Arm and Skagway.

By the way, which is better a forward or aft cabin? There is a Vista and Premium Suites available, so have choice between two extremes...lol I like forward, but not sure if it's too windy up there.

There is certainly very little difference between the two sisters but we on one occasion moved off the Crown to the Ruby a day apart and at the time really felt the color palate on Crown was darker than that of the Ruby....but certainly not enough to impact anyone's cruise vacation.

Just checked the port times - Crown has much better times for Tracy Arm and Skagway.

By the way, which is better a forward or aft cabin? There is a Vista and Premium Suites available, so have choice between two extremes...lol I like forward, but not sure if it's too windy up there.

I'd suggest that you stay away from the forward Premium suites as the balcony might be fairly windy when underway. We like the aft view and I believe the balcony is largest on the Dolphin deck Vista suites.

Even though I loved my recent cruise on the Ruby and thought their crew and staff was the best, I would pick the itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay.

Yes. I have heard that GB should be a must see. I was exploring options for an early Alaska cruise in case our spring break plans do not work out. More contingency planning :). The two Princess cruises fit our schedule better, but if we go a bit later in June, I will make sure we pick an itinerary with GB.