Compare and review AmaWaterways vs Viking

id est

inclined to agree. many of us do extensive research before committing to a particular cruise/tour etc. a lived experience of the product can be helpful but each person will have a personal account to tell.

love reading the reviews but always do other research. there can be variability between ships within the same line. a lot depends on the people/staff, quality of customer service.

luckily we have many choices with cruising and we all have our own unique requirements. we like to try different seasons too.

I don't know about that. There are more than a couple regular posters on this board that "bad mouth" river cruise lines they never used. You can find at least one example of this type post right in this thread.

We agree. Having an opinion without specific personal experience is fine. We all have opinions based on our own likes, dislikes and history. For instance, I may like or dislike a particular brand or model car because of its looks, reputation for soft handling, reported lack of comfort, etc - even if I've never driven one. However, if my 'opinion voicing' goes beyond stating my opinion and becomes, "bad mouthing" or downright slamming - especially if I've never even driven one the cars, then I've gone too far IMHO.

Same goes IMO for broad brush generalizations, presented as facts and not opinions, that are not accurate.

Sure it is important to take a vacation with a provider that one feels good about. Telling me what one did, or did not like about an experience on a particular line is helpful.

I've been in enough ships and seen enough videos to know who has decor that I find unattractive. And enough to know that I'm not going to decorate my home like any river cruise ship I've seen. Telling me a ship was ugly or flamboyant doesn't help me decide if I want to give the ship a try.

Sure it is important to take a vacation with a provider that one feels good about. Telling me what one did, or did not like about an experience on a particular line is helpful.

I've been in enough ships and seen enough videos to know who has decor that I find unattractive. And enough to know that I'm not going to decorate my home like any river cruise ship I've seen. Telling me a ship was ugly or flamboyant doesn't help me decide if I want to give the ship a try.

It may not matter to you, but some (like me) find certain decor to be a turn off. YMMV.