Bringing Wine Onboard?

jarand

This from the princess website, on the day of embarkation, passengers are permitted to bring one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

I'm cruising in 20 days and we are taking one bottle of champagne on board with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on Sea Princess a few months back and can confirm that the limit of one bottle per passenger is allowed free of charge, and that the limit beyond that is enforced. Our bags were scanned and we were asked about the two bottles inside, explained that they were one for each of us, and all was okay. Otherwise, they explained the fee of $15 per bottle would have applied.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if you take onboard say half a dozen wines and paid the $15 corkage per bottle you can then take them into the Main Dining Room?

If that's the case it is far better value than the prices onboard as an average bottle both red and wine is $40 and they have a very limited cellar.

So if you take onboard say half a dozen wines and paid the $15 corkage per bottle you can then take them into the Main Dining Room?

If that's the case it is far better value than the prices onboard as an average bottle both red and wine is $40 and they have a very limited cellar.

That is correct. I have been told they put a sticker on the bottle so when you take it to the dining room there is no question of paying corkage again.

Edited by Aus Traveller

When do you declare the wine? Do you pay for the corkage before hand or does it get added on to the inboard account?

We paid for it before boarding. We were initially treated like criminals for having 6 bottles of wine. :( We had to firmly tell the security (outsourced) that we wanted to pay corkage for 4. He seemed stunned at the concept, asked someone else who directed him & us to a small card table manned by a princess employee. They were switched on, collected our $60, after we nominated what bottles we wanted to pay corkage on and stamped our bottles. We then went onwards through customs & boarded the ship. We had it in our carryon.

I did notice a rubbish bin full of cartons of rum n coke etc that was ditched from previous cruisers.

It will get declared as you go through security on embarkation, presuming you have it with you in your carry on. Security will pick it up and send you over to a side table where one of the crew will stamp/mark the bottles and fill in a small receipt and it will be added to your cruise card.

Princess are good in allowing you to bring wine on board and pay a corkage. Other cruise lines have a blanket no alcohol policy and strictly enforce it.

We were on Sea Princess in Feb and June. We bought bottles of wine for around $26 and they were quite nice. We also bought a bottle of wine ashore then brought it on board with no problem. You have yo drink it in your cabin though.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When do you declare the wine? Do you pay for the corkage before hand or does it get added on to the inboard account?

I have taken a bottle of port on board in my take on luggage a few times. Security thinks it is Jack Daniels on the xray but when you go to the side table and show them that it is tawny port (Brown Bros in my case) they say is ok.

I have taken a bottle of port on board in my take on luggage a few times. Security thinks it is Jack Daniels on the xray but when you go to the side table and show them that it is tawny port (Brown Bros in my case) they say is ok.

They must have pretty good xrays on these boats to tell the difference. Even xrays at Customs cant differentiate between spirits and wine for example especially in tinted bottles

We are sailing on the Dawn Princess for a 4 day cruise are we still able to take wine on board for a short cruise?

Thanks in advance Sharon

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One bottle each is allowed for consumption on your stateroom. You can get wine glasses from a bar. This is very nice for sailaway.

On some ships on some cruises, passengers can take wine on at intermediate ports, but it seems to be the "luck of the draw" where this is permitted or not. I suggest anyone wanting to do this should enquire before they leave the ship at a port where they might want to buy some wine.

Other cruise lines have a blanket no alcohol policy and strictly enforce it.

We sailed on Holland America Oosterdam last year (Sydney to Auckland) and there was no limit on the number of bottles you could take on even at other ports but there was an $18 corkage fee if you took a bottle to the MDR.

Ship called in to Melbourne and we went to 1st Choice and stocked up.

Sadly, Holland America has since changed their policy to be in line with Princess.

I just checked the Holland America website and you are correct, their alcohol policy changed on 31st January 2014. You can still bring unlimited wine on board you just pay corkage on all but the first bottle. Not much different to what it was prior when you only paid corkage on wine consumed outside your room.

Unfortunately, Carnival change their rules when sailing from Australia and don't allow any alcohol to be brought on board.